1957 Dodge sweptside

$120,000
Listed a week ago in Meridian, ID

About This Vehicle

Driven 8,463 miles
Automatic transmission
Exterior color: Blue · Interior color:

Seller's Description

1957 Dodge Sweptside · Truck · Driven 8,463 miles 1/200 1957 Dodge Sweptside 8463 Miles Title in Hand Posting other cars and willing to do a package deal.
image.png.3d1c71134491292e3e01c76212c52f13.png
image.png.c5566cb02d13e61621c0e028da2aa6aa.png
image.png.3a16ac260a519776bb37bcb788e6674a.png
image.png.cd2e275f29d95f3ac4de4c32764fdac3.png
image.png.cd399888056a13ce4dafdb04ebed3383.png
image.png.5cacad0f2ef7b2228a684f350e7e1876.png

It's for sale in Meridian Idaho. I did hard time in Meridian Idaho. Growing up in the Treasure Valley, my grandparents lived in Nampa. Parents would drop us kids off to stay with them. Every year they would go to the Snake river stampede. in the old nasty green arena. Dairy Days, is what they called the yearly celebration. Between Rodeos, wagon rides, Lawrence Welk and HeeHaw on the TV. It was enough to scar a young metal head growing up. That is hard time in Meridian. Best thing that Happened in Meridian, this movie was filmed there. This was shot in the bank my Dad used. Meridian still looks the same. 

Edited by Xander Wildeisen (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

These trucks make no sense to me at all. I guess they were trying to make a gussied up pickup for city slickers, with two tone paint, fins, whitewalls, and a fancy exterior, but the dashboard is bare bones all the way. As mentioned, no horn button either. The price seems ridiculous, but it's probably pretty rare. 

57 minutes ago, DrumBob said:

These trucks make no sense to me at all. I guess they were trying to make a gussied up pickup for city slickers, with two tone paint, fins, whitewalls, and a fancy exterior, but the dashboard is bare bones all the way. As mentioned, no horn button either. The price seems ridiculous, but it's probably pretty rare. 

It is - rare. Competition is Chevy Cameo.  These high end trucks have a following but not sure $120,000 following. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I sorta like it, as I do like cars, or trucks with fins. Great looking paint with the two tone colors. That said, I would have to do some research on the layout of the cab. It seems to me that a high end truck like this would have a nicer dash than what is presented. GLWTS

I am into older trucks. I subscribe to a magazine issued 6 times a year called Vintage Trucks, even though I do not currently own a truck, except my driver a 2022 Chevy Colorado.  I have owned a 49 Chevy Advanced Design Truck, a 1952 Suburban (now super hot in the marketplace), and several other trucks.   

This truck is iconic.  In 1955 Chevy, under the design leadership of Chuck Jordan, created the 1st suburban styled truck called the Cameo, which I am sure some of you have heard of.  Fiberglass swept side (flat sided) bed, nice interior, room for 3.  Meant for the suburban dad or even mom to drive, as a 2nd car.  NOT for the farm.

Following that success, International - always #3 or 4 in pick up sales in the era - came out with a Golden Jubilee truck in sweptside styling for 1957, metallic Gold and White. 

Dodge followed with this truck, and used the finned sides of a station wagon.  Few were made, but style wise it is a match to the Cameo.  Inside, as noted, not so much. BUT, I believe these could be had with power steering.  (I'm sorry, I did not read the sales comments before writing.)  

These sell for good money restored because those sides of the bed are difficult to restore and there are some unobtanium parts.

This has a push button automatic, THAT is luxury for a 1950's truck. And a big reason the price tag is high for this one.  Beautiful bed wood too.   That seat is very nice.  I understand the door panels and dash look plain. 

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't you guys watch the auction channels where they talk about delete options that make muscle cars rare and more valuable. This truck came with the rare radio delete, glove box delete and horn button delete options, therefor the justification for the high price. If this truck came with radio, glovebox and horn, it would only be worth 12,000.

• Haha 4

Im gonna say the emperor has no clothes. That is one ugly truck to me. May be rare and valuable but I would take a cameo over this any day of the week. I was passing a dodge of this vintage every day last year heading to work. Sitting in a field rotting away. Every time we passed I thought that was a good place for it, LOL. My biggest pet peeve when guys restore trucks is varnishing the bed! They were never done that way.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GARY F said:

I might be blind but where is the gear shift?

It's the typical pushbutton drive for this vintage of MOPAR. The pushbuttons are in a low-placed cluster at the far left of the dash. You can see it in one of the other interior photos.

I'll add another "c'mon" to the list of negative things about this truck. Low, low miles, but with a cheap aftermarket radiator cap. That simply shouldn't be. John

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)