Winston Cup Museum closing; Cars heading to auction

Crusty Trucker

NASCAR museum in North Carolina will close after a lengthy court battle with R.J. Reynolds

From 1971-2003, the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company served as the primary sponsor for the NASCAR Cup Series. It was known as the NASCAR Winston Cup era.

A museum in North Carolina preserves this era of the sport. Cars and memorabilia fill the floor of the Winston Cup Museum.

image.png.fc0466cbb4af28b72fabc3969503c191.png 

https://racingnews.co/2023/11/15/winston-cup-museum-closing-cars-heading-to-auction/

https://winstoncupmuseum.com/

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Bills Auto Works said:

I understand change is inevitable (even though I don;t like it), but always sad to see museums close & spread all its contents to the four winds! I have been there probably 4 times over the years.

My own thoughts about NASCAR as a previously loyal fan is that it DIED when Dale Earnhardt died.

Sad day indeed

I also have the same feelings as Bill, and probably many others do also.

I lost a lot of interest in NASCAR after Dale Earnhardt died.

I remember Dale coming to a local race at Grundy County Speedway in Morris, Illinois and they had a special grudge match between Dale and Mark Martin, and Dale told the crowd of fans, better get a phone book for Mark to sit on so he can see out the windshield and touch the pedals, that statement got a big roar from the crowd.

Bob

Edited by NailheadBob (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I can't claim that I was a Dale Earnhardt fan, but the sport certainly lost it's most polarizing figure when he died. The drivers, the cars, the tracks and even the sponsors certainly aren't what they used to be! I can't put my finger on any one thing but the sport doesn't hold the attraction for me that it used to. I still make the 3 hour trek to Martinsville for a race once in a while, mainly for the hot dogs though! 😃

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Not much appeal in a Nascar race where everyone has basically the same car and engine, and they drive a lot of the race just lined up behind each other.

Will be interesting to see what race cars bring at auction, traditionally good numbers when one or two, but that many don’t know.

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 28 Chrysler said:

When they were no longer "stock cars" I lost interest.

While I’ve never had interest in following/spectating any sports, including motorized, I've always been under the impression none of the cars competing in NASCAR since early-to-mid 1950s have been “stock”, per se, i.e. production models from their respective manufacturers, which I (perhaps incorrectly) thought was the premise (intended requirement ?) for that racing series. 🙄

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

"Race on Sunday--Sell on Minday"   or something like that.  NASCAR lost me when they went away from more or less "stock" cars--the cars that were like what you could buy.  Not that I ever wanted to buy a race car, but I did enjoy the improvements brough to the cars we all could buy.

Ford's "Total Performance" campaign of 1964 advertised a lot of the everyday improvements that benefitted all new car buyers--the improved Differential case that became a standard for racers all over, improved brakes, incredibly strong front ball joint suspensions, even the aerodynamics of the Sunliner.   Racing actually did "improve the breed"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

In 1963 I seen my first Nascar race at Old Bridge Speedway Northern Tour. Fireball Roberts won while Lorenzen and Weatherly also put on a good show. Short track racing at its best. Too many 1 1/2-mile tracks now in lousy locations. Competition Yellows and Lucky Dog cars advancing for no reason? Earnhardt introducing Blocking to Nascar back in the 80's and the France Family loved it. Now its TV Racing a Best.

• Like 2

FYI...the last time the cars were truly factory stock was 1954. In that year NASCAR mandated roll cages mid season  in all cars after Herb Thomas was nearly killed in a flip. 

I just returned from a trip to NC on Sunday night. I had to see this place while I still could. I also visited the RCR museum and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. Photos will be on my website. Will not be posted here since they are all post war and non stock.

• Like 8

1967 is the year that teams were allowed to start using body templates to sort of replicate the real cars.  They had to match specific hard points on the factory bodies.  I would consider this the transition point from factory stock to what we have today.  Prior to that, safety features such as plexiglas, seat belts, roll cages and netting were added to factory bodies.  

• Like 2

The window net debuted in late 1970 after Richard Petty barrell rolled down the front stretch in Darlington, with his arm flailing out the window. The first net was sewn by either his mom or his wife, I can't recall. 

2vaKYkrkx2zUmm.jpg

Many sources including NASCAR's own website list that the nets were a result of Joe Weatherly's fatal crash at Riverside in 1964 but that is untrue. They also say his head hit the wall but there is photographic proof that didn't happen. I did not save those photos...even though I've built my life around documenting NASCAR history I have limits, I am not saving photos of driver's dead bodies. 

• Like 3