NOT MINE - And no chance that it ever could be - 1962 Ferrari $51.7M

No big deal, just jump in them and back them off the truck……….we do it often……..right in the middle of the street. Just a car…….rumor was this one was over 70. Who knows……..

IMG_1648.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

We each have our own taste/preference in "toys" these low slung red boy racers do nothing for me personally. Yes they are an outstanding representation of that era, make etc. But I like cars that are more perpendicular,  usually have running boards, flat glass, and usually were made in the era before i was born. 

• Like 13

7 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Rather than buying a $50,000,000 car, a well-off individual

could enjoy several cars totaling $1,000,000, then put the

remaining $49,000,000 into an honest business that would 

produce something useful and productive for others

Remember that the seller might take the $50million and use it for something useful and productive….

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, m-mman said:

Remember that the seller might take the $50million and use it for something useful and productive….

Exactly, plus think about all of the people involved with the car who make a living from such things: the detailers, the mechanics/restoration shops, the advertisers, the transport driver, the auction house and related employees, the list goes on... 

While I agree I would not spend that much on a single car (I will also most likely never be in the place to even consider a purchase like this). To judge a decision to purchase this and call it a waste is subjective, but there are a lot of jobs provided because of collector cars like these - even the people who originally built it when it was an expensive/irresponsible purchase to begin with. Lots of good does come from people with money spending it on things that they don't need, we just don't always get to see how. 

Long story short, its not all black and white and we should not judge a decision like this just because we would not do the same. 

• Like 1

It's not the seller's fault this car is worth so much, and to my mind, it was a much better thing to own back in the late 60's when it wasn't worth much at all. I remember seeing on on the street about 1965, and Henry Manny, who was the European reporter for Road & Track Magazine, drove one. He would sometimes refer to it as his "truck like Ferrari". Probably not very comfortable at 25mph. 

This brings up a really interesting point. Some people do not enjoy the hobby by driving their cars. Some people gain satisfaction by having a car that is a static display and take pride in transporting it in covered trailer to and from shows where it competes and people ooooooh and aaaaah over it. I am not one of those people. I want to drive my machines. I do not own anything as rare but have gotten the privilege to ride in some incredibly rare cars. That being said, we have trouble even in our own local AACA chapter. There are those that want to drive their cars on day long excursions (Which are not a lot of us) and those that want to drive their car no more than 20 minutes usually to dinner and then back home. Some people would just rather have a museum piece and display it in their garage.

4 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

To each his own.  One should not "look down" on the other.

Ben

There are countless ways to enjoy our hobby. From the trailer queens that never see the road, to the hoarder who leaves it outside to rot. 

To each his own…….I agree. Not everyone’s decisions make sense to me……….but in the end, we all experience our own reality. 

I find it interesting that most people won’t drive their 50 million dollar Ferrari, but then jump in their GS650 and run it ragged. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4

The Card Player.....Cezanne. 250 million in 2011

image.png.1836563861dce4e61d7b6bc80ddeaa38.png

The Scream.....Munch. 119 million 2012

image.png.f30541026cf653f2002b38149a80989f.png

Garcon a la pipe......Picasso. 104 million 2004

image.png.c59f475296a81987523517a478770092.png 

Maybe those Ferrari's aren't so ridiculously priced..........

image.png.15afc7d64778c1c2e85b0cb25a769b95.png 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

There are a few GTO owners that have exact duplicates that they race.    Keep in mind that everybody, probably including most people on this board keep the amount of their net worth tied up in "collectibles" under 10% and more like 5% or less.    So even if you drive it and roll it,  with the insurance payout,  the owner is only taking a minor hit to his net worth.

1.  You only live once.

2.  Collectibles are just a diversion at every level of the hobby.  And quite luxury if you think about.   Even for the Model T owner.

3.  Smart to worry about what can go wrong, but stupid to live your life worrying.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

There are a few GTO owners that have exact duplicates that they race.    Keep in mind that everybody, probably including most people on this board keep the amount of their net worth tied up in "collectibles" under 10% and more like 5% or less.    So even if you drive it and roll it,  with the insurance payout,  the owner is only taking a minor hit to his net worth.

1.  You only live once.

2.  Collectibles are just a diversion at every level of the hobby.  And quite luxury if you think about.   Even for the Model T owner.

3.  Smart to worry about what can go wrong, but stupid to live your life worrying.

Some years ago I read about a GTO owner who said when ever the car had to be transported by air, he went on the same plane. That way, if something happened, it wouldn't matter. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Leif in Calif said:

Some years ago I read about a GTO owner who said when ever the car had to be transported by air, he went on the same plane. That way, if something happened, it wouldn't matter. 

Cargolux, the only way to fly with your car…………very comfortable seats upstairs. They bought the last six new 747’s built.

IMG_1663.png

• Like 2

23 hours ago, alsancle said:

1.  You only live once.

#1 Correction on number 1. You live everyday, you only die once.

#2 You are correct on the hobby being a diversion for every day life.

#3 yeah sh*t happens. Luckily most of the time something goes wrong it can be repaired or really is not a huge problem in life in the grand scheme of things.

Who doesn’t remember having like 95% of your net worth tied up in your ride during your teenage years or early twenties. Life was good then, not a worry in the world! 

• Like 5

On 11/15/2023 at 9:02 PM, John Bloom said:

The Card Player.....Cezanne. 250 million in 2011

image.png.1836563861dce4e61d7b6bc80ddeaa38.png

The Scream.....Munch. 119 million 2012

image.png.f30541026cf653f2002b38149a80989f.png

Garcon a la pipe......Picasso. 104 million 2004

image.png.c59f475296a81987523517a478770092.png 

Maybe those Ferrari's aren't so ridiculously priced..........

image.png.15afc7d64778c1c2e85b0cb25a769b95.png 

I think I would have a lot more fun staring at and driving the Gto than staring at the wall.

Buying the Ferrari would also be easily justified to the misses. “But look how much money I saved by buying you that Ferrari rather than the Card Players picture that you wanted, it’s also in your favorite color red”. With the money I saved we can go to Arby’s and buy that big beef that you have been talking about wanting to try.

Edited by Tph479 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Tph479 said:

#1 Correction on number 1. You live everyday, you only die once.

#2 You are correct on the hobby being a diversion for every day life.

#3 yeah sh*t happens. Luckily most of the time something goes wrong it can be repaired or really is not a huge problem in life in the grand scheme of things.

Who doesn’t remember having like 95% of your net worth tied up in your ride during your teenage years or early twenties. Life was good then, not a worry in the world! 

For me it was 100% and you are correct!  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tph479 said:

I think I would have a lot more fun staring at and driving the Gto than staring at the wall.

Buying the Ferrari would also be easily justified to the misses. “But look how much money I saved by buying you that Ferrari rather than the Card Players picture that you wanted, it’s also in your favorite color red”. With the money I saved we can go to Arby’s and buy that big beef that you have been talking about wanting to try.

I'm sure no one would make this mistake, but I don't want anyone to think for a second that I know anything about the high end of art....or 50 Million dollar Ferraris for that matter......I am a product of the public schools of Frankfort Indiana.  We are more comfortable discussing art like this.  

image.png.b11b0e8e1300b180aa8d25e51ef5e4e3.png

What I'm really hoping for is a buddy with good taste in Ferraris.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, John Bloom said:

I'm sure no one would make this mistake, but I don't want anyone to think for a second that I know anything about the high end of art....or 50 Million dollar Ferraris for that matter......I am a product of the public schools of Frankfort Indiana.  We are more comfortable discussing art like this.  

Which reminds me of the cowboy whose dog sat patiently while he played poker with the group.  Finally the cowboy stood up and said “I have to go to the bathroom; my dog will play for me”.  The dog jumped into the chair and proceed to point and play for a few minutes while he was gone.  When he walked back up to the table everyone said, “wow, your dog is incredible…he is an absolutely amazing poker player.”  To which he replied, “not really; he wags his tail every time he gets a good hand!”

• Haha 2

On 11/18/2023 at 8:29 AM, John Bloom said:

Dogs playing poker does not get the respect that it deserves from the Art Connoisseur's.

It would be quite the story if the person who bought the Ferrari GTO was worth $51 million and spent his entire net worth on the Ferrari as one last gift to himself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This red pony car belongs to a neighbor of mine. Nice guy, and it’s special. One of 13 built, this one has “special race history” which I have no clue about. I’m certain it’s a big boy toy………

72200967741__6C25A708-73F3-4772-8507-0A21810EDB1A.jpeg

8 hours ago, alsancle said:

Is it an aluminum 4 cam?

Yes……special body and race history………I’m sure it’s eight figures all day long.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A few sheets of pastel chalk art paper, a set of pastel chalks and an hour of sketching, you can create your own "The Scream" by Edvard Munch that would fool 99% of the people.  And you don't have to be all that good at sketching either...

The Scream by Edvard Munch.png

The movie Art and Craft, is about a very odd person who did exactly that and "donated" his work to many famous museums!

• Like 1