HAPPY VETERANS DAY ! THANK-YOU .

pkr

My great-great grandfather served in the Union army, my dad was 30-year Navy and a Pearl Harbor survivor, and my brother served 2 tours in Viet Nam.  I salute all veterans!  Also, as an aside my granddaughter's 27th birthday is today!  Born on 11-11 at 11am.

Edited by dship (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Agreement in full to thank ordinary men who are prepared to put themselves into harms way should it be requested of them by the government of the day to protect the values that make democracies a great place to live.

Just an aside - there is a lot of focus on Army, Navy, Airforce but please don't forget that civilian medical personnel from doctors to nurses and ward orderlies are also dragged into conflicts and do a courageous job ensuring the survival of those who may not have made it otherwise. Also, the civilian emergency services, fire and ambulance etc. who get / got called upon. Heroics is not limited to self-sacrifice to take out a mortar emplacement to save a handful of people - sometimes the forgotten background players saved more lives than the "death or glory" frontline boys.

As for the end of "The Great War" on 11/11/1918 - it was the war to end all wars. That - we got completely wrong didn't we!

Pray the madness and suffering we inflict on each other ends. We are now living in times where armed conflicts should be a thing of the past.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Salute to all veterans. It seems that WWI is a "forgotten war" We originally celebrated Armistace Day to honor all who fought in WWI then changed it later to "Veterans Day" to honor all veterans,

In honor of WWI vets:

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you to all who stepped up and put on a uniform in service to this great country. 

I was with our local Young Marines unit earlier today marching in a Veteran's Day Parade so I had the chance to thank a lot of veterans today.

• Like 1