1950? Oldsmobile 98 Fastback Project $3,500

Marketplace - 1950 Oldsmobile 98 · Coupe | Facebook

Seller's Description

Very rare 1950 ‼️V8 Oldsmobile 98 coupe  complete car very solid does need floors in full restoration motor is free  really good body everything is there located in Springfield Illinois do not have title come with a bill of sale located in Springfield Illinois possible treat or 3500 OBO cash I may get it running it so the price will be 10,500  serious buyers only will not find another one

My comments:

1st, I have no idea if this is a legitimate 1950 98 series fastback Oldsmobile.  I do know that Buick had a 1950 Roadmaster "Sedanette / Fastback".   

IF you Olds guys can confirm this is a 1950 Oldsmobile 98 2 door fastback, then this may be the last one available to restore.  

This has to be UBER RARE.  Seller knows it, but to his defense he did not price it at $8,000 or some silly number.   While rare, and interesting, we all have limits on project cost.   

It's a legitimate 1950 Olds 98 two door club sedan. Production figures were 2,270 for Standard (503807) models, 9,719 for Deluxe (503807D) models. The Deluxes came with a rear seat center arm rest, that's all I can tell you. The seller's price of $10,500 if he gets it running is absurd. The $3500 price is probably optimistic considering the rough condition and the no title situation. Personally I'd prefer an 88 club sedan to a 98 series. Rarity does not always equal desirability.....we'll see what happens. 

• Like 3

OK, I know projects are seldom being done anymore but this one is no better or worse than others I am seeing. 

I know Buick had the Sedanet for one more year in 1950 in the Roadmaster name, and I believe Special.  Just never saw an Oldsmobile version.  I though everyone except Buick, Chevrolet, and Pontiac went to all 2 door hardtop or 2 door sedans in 1950.  

I try to not criticize the facebook sellers because there are so many of these stupid sellers with their misspellings, passive aggresive commentary, poor photos and so on.  Prices are often pie in the sky.  Especially post pandemic.  

I am not sure $3500 is too far off though.  1st, you don't buy a project unless that is part of the hobby you want to enjoy.  There are also plenty of finished cars, drivers, for $15,000 to $20,000 and there is no need to do a project.  

But, not counting the stupid lack of photos of this dumba** seller, you can see that unmolested complete engine, which is rare as often misguided sorts will start pulling parts to try and fix it and they end up in the trunk in a cardboard box.  

Yes, this guy likely was in the right place at the right time and got the car either for free (hauling it away) or very little cost.  

Very rare, and I think desirable car and body style, similar to the 1950 Buick Roadmaster sedanet. I have seen two of these restored at Olds Club meets. One was a dark olive green; one was maroon; both were absolutely spectacular.

Sadly, this one looks like it just got pulled out of the woods. Clean the trash out of the engine compartment; replace the broken driver's window, and show us how bad the interior and floor are; then put a $3500 asking price on it. 

Pete Phillips

Leonard, Texas

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

According to Casteele’s “The Cars of Oldsmobile”, the four-door, Town Sedan version of this car is much more scarce, with only 255 built in standard trim, and another 1523 in deluxe.

For $3500, the seller would do himself a big favor by getting the car titled, otherwise he will enjoy looking at it for a mighty long time…

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, Mike O said:

Hi Is your olds still available? Thx Mike

Hello,Mike:

This car is still listed on Facebook. You'll need to join, if you aren't already a member, and then try to contact the seller. Here's the Link:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1041729837142950/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Ad9dd76a6-ec98-4ea4-8d00-cc2feb3d39db

The car is in Springfield, Il.

He is stubbornly staying at $3500.  Even with rare iconic cars, there is no market.  He admits now, it needs floors.  Total restoration.  $100,000.   

But no photos of rust out.   He has updated the ad with a bunch more photos. Before, he said “this is all the photos you are going to get”.  

Sure it's a project, and a big one at that. But he's asking 3.500 bucks, not too bad for a complete un wrecked car to start with.  The title issue is THE issue, but I suppose that it can be worked out, the seller will have to be cooperative in the process. I'm sure that the interior looks a lot like the under hood picture. I wouldn't restore this, or resto mod it either. I would just "fix it up."  It doesn't need original upholstery and new chrome. Am I the only guy that remembers doing that? 

I bought my 1950 Buick in 2008.  I paid $3000.

It looked as bad as this.   Floors shot. Main body solid.  Interior trash from varmints. My soon and i did the work.  I ended up with less than $20,000, total, including the buying price , to put it on the road. 

If one is going to pay $100,000+ to have it done, what is a thousand or so in the purchase price. 1 percent?

Just saying

Ben 

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Sorry but I'm not seeing  the attraction to this 98 club sedan especially in its poor condition. Now that the $100K+ restoration cost figure has come up, why wouldn't someone with gobs of money to spend on a 1950 Oldsmobile find a more popular and attractive model in better condition to restore like something from the legendary 88 series? A Rocket 88, one of the first factory muscle cars, NASCAR racing history, 1950 Carera Panamericana Road Race winner and a model recognized by the MIlestone Car Society. IMO even an 88 2-door club sedan or club coupe would be a much better choice than this heavier longer wheelbase 98 with its bent fender, sprung hood and broken grille. Compared to the more attractive Oldsmobile 88s pictured this some might see this titleless rustbucket as a somewhat ugly sister to the 88s that isn't worth the effort to restore, it's probably nothing more than a $500 parts car and that would be to the right guy on a good day. Again, rarity does not equal desirability. I apologize for being so critical here but with this particular car I'm just calling it as I see it. 

DSCF0008.JPG

The 1950 Olds (and all of GM) hardtop coupes are always a good choice for someone with $14,000 to $26,000 to enjoy the hobby.  

Rarity does not always equate to interest/demand but the GM Sedanet is one of those iconic time sensitive styles that most of us love.  

Add to that the V8, automatic transmission and 98 length and finishing, and this car should find a restoration in its future.  But maybe not.  

It’s been available for several months.  Olds Club of America knows about I am sure.  But the average age of their members is 72.   Street rodders you would think would be interested- but there is generally- a surplus of project level cars out there.  Hot rodders at the local show n shines have purchased their rods years ago and all are 62 to 72 years old.  

This seller doesn’t want to touch this car either.  He talks about getting it running, then asking $10k.  But I have asked him a couple times in facebook messages if he has made progress and he said no. No = “I’m not putting one more dime into this car”.