1954 Corvette at obscure auction, for sale, not mine

10K, I would bid $730!

Im with AJ though, I would think this will bring at least 20K.  For some reason, I suppose its because Corvette guys want performance, these dont bring stupid money. I doubt a die hard restorer would pay much more as it will cost more than the value to restore. However a newbie might think they are getting a bargain and jump on the bandwagon. I would take a chance for $10k.

6 hours ago, Twisted Shifter said:

Is this post a joke? Scanned through a ton of junk but no Corvette, or even any cars.

No, but sorry I didn't supply a better link, thanks to Classiclines for doing so.  I think if a guy had some good restoration skills and could get this in the 10-20K range, he'd come out all right.  There probably aren't many unrestored ones available at this point. Hagarty says one in "good condition" is north of 60K, so even with high cost of restoration there's room there.

• Like 1

Parts for these are very expensive.  Every piece that is missing will cost a premium even for restorable cores.  I didn't look at the links to see what is missing.   It wouldn't be hard to spend 20 G buying missing pieces. 

Even stuff like tires are really getting expensive.  I bought 4 for my 1933 Plymouth and it was over 1500 with tubes and rim flaps.  If you value your labor at free yes you might come out ahead.  (maybe)  

Pretty good ones,  with some patience come up for close to 50 G.   But it might take a year to find one at that.  I would have had one if I hadn't bought my Auburn speedster as one came up in PA this summer.   Older restoration.  Looked very good and was 53G. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JamesR said:

I always like the "title will be here in six months" line. OK then...you can cash my post-dated check when it arrives.

Seems kind of goofy, but I brought my car from out of state to North Carolina and my vin # was not correct and it took 6 months to straighten it out. So he may be right. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Think of it as a first year vette that you can get in a color other than white.

That's why I was looking at 54's to begin with.  If you want that style, it's the most affordable of the very first generation. 

The vast majority are still white red combos.  The colors seem to command a bit more of a premium if correct.  

It's crazy people pay so much for a 53 when an early 54 is identical for all practical purposes.  I was looking at 54's and still don't know the difference between the 53's and the early 54's.   

99% of people probably don't know the difference even to the late cars.  And that's car guys,  not the general populace. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, alsancle said:

There you go, finally a positive thought!

I just posted it because it’s a desirable car in an unrelated auction, maybe someone makes a buy. Maybe not. Maybe every part needed is included, maybe not.  But at least now more collectors are aware of availability.

I sure long for the days when we loved old cars regardless of value or expense of restoration.  Nowadays, merits  of a car posted for sale are discussed last, every nitpick and cost to fix discussed first.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Well it's good to let a potential inexperienced buyer know what they might be up against when looking for parts as it appears this may be missing several.  All obtainable,  but pretty much only from people that want to retire off every single part.  I learned early on in my search when I said oh it's only missing this or that,  then started looking.  

A positive is it's got 4 correct hubcaps I believe.  They are $2500 in decent shape.   

If word gets out about the car.  I bet it hits 30 or so.  Really closes that margin on a done car in the low 50's if you start at that. 

Thanks auburnseeker, a driver at 50k sounds like a fair buy, I’ve always admired Corvettes but didn’t actively seek one.

Did buy a nice 63 split window as a gift to my wife, her dream car, great driver.  Sold it a few years back when we retired.

35 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Well it's good to let a potential inexperienced buyer know what they might be up against when looking for parts as it appears this may be missing several.  All obtainable,  but pretty much only from people that want to retire off every single part.  I learned early on in my search when I said oh it's only missing this or that,  then started looking.  

A positive is it's got 4 correct hubcaps I believe.  They are $2500 in decent shape.   

If word gets out about the car.  I bet it hits 30 or so.  Really closes that margin on a done car in the low 50's if you start at that. 

Can you really get a decent driver for 50K?  I was thinking it was more like 75K or more.   Although dogs,  the 53/54 are very popular as the first Corvette.

Had a bunch of second, third and forth generation Corvettes when they were cheep and gaining value fast.

Never had a first generation but enjoy the history. They were the only Corvette Roadster (side curtains).    

This one at E54S00(2331) of the 3640+- made is later than early in the model year. The first fifty or so 54 had hand laid bodies and are almost identical to the 53 model year. It looks as though it was white and red.

"The 1954 Corvette came in four color choices: Polo white, Sportsman Red, Pennant Blue, and Black. The split in terms of production was Polo White (3,230), Sportsman Red (100), Pennant Blue (300) and Black (4). Interior colors include Beige Vinyl and Red Vinyl."

Title situation does bother me and the description talks of years in a body shop in Michigan some parts missing...... love to know the rest of the story.

Thanks for posting it maybe a road trip is in order? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Of course I too have to much invested in unfinished projects already, to many to work on as it is, not enough space etc..

Who cares keeping the dreams alive is a lot more fun than not.

----------------------------------------------------------------- 

A couple of links to interesting comparables for the more affluent than me. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/566658402133767

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/6016595551778779

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Can you really get a decent driver for 50K?  I was thinking it was more like 75K or more.   Although dogs,  the 53/54 are very popular as the first Corvette.

Yeah they are out there.  

The first one I missed was on ebay.  A buy it now or offer that a guy bought to flip.  Started at 65 beginning of January,  finally worked it's way down in a few weeks to 50G and sold, that was in CA.  The one in PA I mentioned popped up on Facebook or Craigslist.  That was 53G.  a couple went through BAT in the last two years right around that mark.  

Really nice ones are 65+.  But they are really nice.  There was a 75G one for sale in PA I believe or just south of there and that was OBO.  restored in 2008? and received 3rd flight award.  Super clean and nice looking. That was for sale for atelast a couple of months.

Most of the Vettes on the market have been for sale for a while, until they get to that sweet 50's spot in nice driver shape.  Then some of those finally sell and the dealers pick them up (a converted 54 white car that now has a 3 speed from CA (otherwise stock) sold on a weird random auction site this spring for right around 50,  that a dealer on the east coast now wants 75G for.   Unmistakably the same car.   I followed them pretty hard and heavy this spring until I bought the Auburn.   Searching Craigslist, Facebook, and a few other sites nationally twice a day.  

You see them sell at some of the auctions for 65 or so,  but the seller is really only walking home with a little over 50 once all the buyers and sellers fees are paid.  Always bothered me they wouldn't drop the price a little and sell local,  only to drag it to the auction to come home with the same number I would have paid or less.  

The nice thing,  is if someone is serious and really pounds the pavement ,  seems a few are listed for sale every week.  Sometimes one a day.   Must be the survival rate is better than 80%.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'd make it safe to drive and run it as is. Then, sit back at a show and listen to the shade tree restorers talk about all the things they'd do to the car if it were theirs. I do it today with my barn find 54 Kaiser Darrin...lots of fun!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Always bothered me they wouldn't drop the price a little and sell local,  only to drag it to the auction to come home with the same number I would have paid or less.  

Couldn't agree more. I am continuously amazed how live auctions get people to drag their cars all over the country with all the added expenses when there is now the Internet and Internet auctions that essentially do the same thing at a fraction of the costs. 

Robert

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Dr B said:

Couldn't agree more. I am continuously amazed how live auctions get people to drag their cars all over the country with all the added expenses when there is now the Internet and Internet auctions that essentially do the same thing at a fraction of the costs. 

Robert

The live auctions provide alcohol, pressure, and ego stroking to drive bidding. That only works on certain people of course, but maybe that’s why people sell there. 

On 9/13/2023 at 11:46 AM, alsancle said:

Looks like this was Polo White with Red interior originally? My friend had a 1954 Pennant Blue with Tan interior and the trunk was Tan, so I was just informed. I couldn't remember, many years ago.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JACK M said:

Great Balls of Fire.

I wonder what these guys are asking.

No clue from me! But it has the original carbs, air filters, rad tank, etc. So the big buck Vette guys will be all over this car. So many of these were modified, drag raced, customized, and generally beat into the ground back in the day. Starting with low production, BlueFlame and PowerGlide for that were tossed by 1960's for 283 and 327's it's a true "Rare" Corvette. But I'm a watcher, not a buyer due to being priced out of these C1's. Such a cool car.

• Like 2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325790999609

1954 Chevrolet Corvette NUMBERS MATCHING

1954 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible Classic Automatic 3.8L RWD 37,296 miles

1954 Chevrolet Corvette NUMBERS MATCHING

1954 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible Classic Automatic 3.8L RWD 37,296 miles

Condition:
UsedUsed
Classified ad price:
US $73,500.00

This is a classified ad listing. There is no bidding on this item, so contact the seller for more information. Seller feedback scores exclude classified listings.
Call between:
Weekdays: 07:00 AM - 04:00 PM
Weekends: 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM

Order an inspection from R8TR. Learn more

Get instant delivery rates from uShip. Learn more

Pickup:
Buyer responsible for vehicle pick-up or shipping
Shipping:
See item description for shipping details
Located in: Hastings, New York, United States
Condition:
Picture 1 of 12