Model A info - original?

JACK M

You'd need to pull a wheel off to see if it has original hubs for the Model A. Somehow I've got a feeling there is a lot more than paint that's not *original.^

Terry

• Like 4

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Model A info - original?
6 hours ago, JACK M said:

Would these wheels fit on the original hubs?

Probably. 1935 Ford wire wheels were commonly put on during the war. I seem to recall there is some difference about how a wire wheel contacts the hub, but these 40s Ford wheels probably either bolt on or almost bolt on. Maybe a spacer is needed?

Later Ford steel wheels, most likely.  Based on overall look at first blush, I bet running gear is largely stock if not "original".  While the 16" v8 wires are more popular, steelies will fit also.

Looks like a typical A someone set up for touring, radials, blech imho.  Turn signals though are not a bad idea.  Correcting the fenders and splash if you are inclined will be a few bucks unless you can paint.

Price?

Thanks for all of the info.

The owner does not want to sell it, but rather swap it.

I like to swap as well, and I have something that he might trade with.

Like has been discussed many times. "To many projects and not enough time left".

This Model A is much smaller and easier to deal with than what I am offering.

Of course my stuff is worth more. 😂

• Haha 2

Perfect.  Not for a hi point restoration because your paying for condition on things you would need to change, but a great back roads, ice cream or parade car.  I would be inclined to grab a set of 35 V8 wheels, maybe in straw and new tires, or just tone down the steelies and enjoy it.  12- 14k car here, assuming it's a decent runner and your not sitting on an upturned milk crate if that helps.

• Like 2

I think the others have pointed out all the non-stock items that are visible, all easily corrected if so inclined. If it runs well and has a decent interior it would be a fun driver. Those wheels make me think it has possibly been changed (upgraded?) to later hydraulic brakes which is quite common on Model A Fords.

Model A wheel is 5x5-1/2" bolt circle.  So all other things being equal, theoretically any wheel that size would fit.  But all other things aren't equal and most non-Model A wheels require an adapter to properly seat on the original drums.  AFAIK, adapters are not needed on later Ford hydraulic drums.

I don't think the paint is original color.  Even if it is, the color scheme isn't - fenders were always black and the body usually was two-tone with a third color pin stripe.  Wheels usually were black, although some deluxe models were other colors - and likely the dealer, and maybe the factory, would use another color on special order.

What's the duct tape on the door and cowl - a "Red Green" rust-repair? 🤣 My concern would be it's hiding a hole - common area for rust-out.

I know it's a trade but assuming the car runs/drives/stops well, has a decent interior and no serious rust, I'd value it no more than $15K and less if you're planning a complete restoration.  It's fine as a driver but restoration will be expensive.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)

No duct tape patch, it is reflection of running board. The paint is not factory. When this car was new it could be special ordered with a special paint scheme. Fleet purchases somtimes were painted company colors before delivery. I would guess if this car ran well it would be at a value of $9k-$11k 

When I see a car that has something glaring sticking out. i.e. wheels, and what looks like an aftermarket paint job (speculation) I would be suspect of any claims of the car being 'original'. Now is it a Model A, I suppose yes and that would make it original?

Regardless, if you are comfortable with the trade, go for it. It looks like a decent car overall and any shortcomings should be an easy fix. Dont worry if you think your car is worth more, the big thing is to be happy with the trade in the end. 

• Like 1

If the owner claims that's original paint I'd sure like to see the documentation. If you are willing to buy into the story and the color doesnt matter to you then go for it. I see it as a $6500-$8000 car based on current model A market (not what evilbay sellers wish they could get).

Terry

• Like 3

Interior looks pretty nice.

The swapper is thinking like me. Not wanting a project. (Which I am offering).

I can see from his pics that he probably has some of those already.

Maybe I will toss in something else and see what happens.

Product photo of 1930 Ford Model a

• Like 2

On 8/16/2023 at 11:15 PM, JFranklin said:

No duct tape patch, it is reflection of running board. The paint is not factory. When this car was new it could be special ordered with a special paint scheme. Fleet purchases somtimes were painted company colors before delivery. I would guess if this car ran well it would be at a value of $9k-$11k 

I think you're right - sure did look like duct tape though.  Yes, Ford would paint fleet orders in company colors - not sure they would do it for just one car though.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)

I know that I sometimes come across as a "purist". But I really am not one. Certainly I can nitpick model T Fords along with the best of them! And in spite of the fact that I never really got into the model As much, a lot of my friends over the years did. And I learned quite a bit about them. I have spent many hours working on their cars. And one particular close friend, I often drove his 1929 model A Town Sedan, usually at night going home from a busy weekend. He had a problem with driving too tired, but I have had lifelong insomnia and usually can drive all night.

The 1924 model T coupe I had for several years was a decent looking "twenty footer", old was-a-nice-restoration. But the interior was quite incorrect. It wasn't offensive looking, and I didn't mind sitting on it.

I basically see this model A as a decent car that could be enjoyed. Is the color correct? No, but I don't think it is hideous. Is the interior done correctly? Again, no, however it looks nicely done, in a fabric that is not far from a couple of the dozen fabrics used in some model A models. And I am not "expert" enough to know which fabrics were used in which body styles. Although there is a modern touch to it, overall it isn't bad (it is closer to right than my model T coupe was).

I haven't seen much of the mechanics of this car. If the engine is good? And the rest of the driveline and chassis okay? A few "easy fixes" could make this a good enjoyable model A! Painting all the fenders and associated parts that should be black, black! And put the correct model A wheels on it. Those two things would improve the look of this car a lot!

I would almost bet that it has hydraulic brakes. Some people would like that. I would not. How difficult that would be to make correct depends upon how severely things were modified.

Like most people here, I have gotten older. I had to sell all my good cars for family needs, and I am hoping to eventually buy something to replace a couple of the cars I had, something I could drive and enjoy without having to spend a bunch more time working on it.. I have reached a point where I know the smart thing for me to do would be a model A Ford. But I really want something just a bit earlier. I really want a good midsize non-Ford. However, the model A with club and commercial support offers the most fun at the least risk. IF (big IF) I were to seriously consider a model A? And the timing and price and money and - - -, all came together? I would seriously consider this subject car.

• Like 2

FWIW the int does look great but what also caught my eye was the shade of green in different light, 1st shot may have been slightly overexposed but the latest pic seems to reflect a much more attractive shade of green.  Keep us posted!

23 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Interior looks really nice. Not to be beating the dead horse but I think I have seen original interiors and that looks far from original. All the better IMO.

Yes, it does look nice.  I doubt it's original (i.e., factory-installed) but it looks close to authentic.  I've been pointing out things that are not - don't mean to nitpick but those things do affect value, whether in trade or in cash.  Is it a fine point restoration?  Not even close.  But assuming it's mechanically sound, it's a good-looking driver that can be enjoyed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1