Yard sale finds

pkhammer

Every year in August not far away they have this super long yard sale that is called the "yard crawl". It runs thru the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia along US Rt. 11 from New Market north to Winchester. My Wife and I go every year and usually find a few treasures amongst the clothes, nic-nacs, baby toys and general junk. One year I bought a nice set of five spoke mag wheels and another year I picked up a beautiful cobalt blue service station island light. The past two years however have been less than successful and I think I found nothing of interest.

I was willing, but less than enthusiastic when we took off yesterday morning to go fight the traffic and crowds and see what we could find. Very first stop I immediately find this acetylene headlamp in great condition for $20! Hmmmm.....might be a good day after all! Second stop, here was this 1947 Willys CJ2A!! Recently overhauled engine and transmission, and nearly rust free due to coming from out west. Owner had been going thru it and fixing what needed fixing but needed cash because he was starting a business. There were 3-4 other people checking it out when I said "I'll take it!" and they did not seem happy that I beat them to it. It might be hard to top this yard sale day!

20230812_182542[1].jpg

20230812_182554[1].jpg

20230812_135020[1].jpg

20230812_134946[1].jpg

• Like 17

I had a similar Jeep years ago.

They sold them in New Zealand with a chain driven ditch digger on the back I was told. A friend owned this one, it had the digger removed, wide tyres and a Holden 6 cylinder engine fitted with bright green paint and roll bar.

Looked really smart, not the most enjoyable on the road but off road it was amazing in mud and boy could it climb!

Good score.

37 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

Every year in August not far away they have this super long yard sale that is called the "yard crawl". It runs thru the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia along US Rt. 11 from New Market north to Winchester. My Wife and I go every year and usually find a few treasures amongst the clothes, nic-nacs, baby toys and general junk. One year I bought a nice set of five spoke mag wheels and another year I picked up a beautiful cobalt blue service station island light. The past two years however have been less than successful and I think I found nothing of interest.

I was willing, but less than enthusiastic when we took off yesterday morning to go fight the traffic and crowds and see what we could find. Very first stop I immediately find this acetylene headlamp in great condition for $20! Hmmmm.....might be a good day after all! Second stop, here was this 1947 Willys CJ2A!! Recently overhauled engine and transmission, and nearly rust free due to coming from out west. Owner had been going thru it and fixing what needed fixing but needed cash because he was starting a business. There were 3-4 other people checking it out when I said "I'll take it!" and they did not seem happy that I beat them to it. It might be hard to top this yard sale day!

20230812_182542[1].jpg

20230812_182554[1].jpg

20230812_135020[1].jpg

20230812_134946[1].jpg

Great score! 
That Jeep would be fun at Glamis in our neck of the woods.

Keeping it original or ?

Yes, mostly original. I like these early Jeeps, they are simple and easy to work on and parts are mostly available. I like Model A Fords for the same reasons. I'll knock out a few dings and dents, fill some "extra" holes, give it a cheap paint job, add some radial tires and a bikini top and enjoy the heck out of it!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, KURTRUK said:

So what did you have to let your wife buy after you scored this right away?

I'm a REALLY lucky guy. My Wife gets as excited over this stuff as I do, maybe more. She Loves antiques, swap meets and car shows. She hates shopping, makeup and blabbing on the phone. 😁 Not that I associate any of that stuff with what most women like............🙄

• Like 4

Did you take the trailer when you left home?😃

We have a couple of those here in the Southside too. One follows US29 from Danville to Amherst and the other goes South Boston to Amelia Court House on US360. 

Haven't been on either since before the pestilence came. Maybe I should get up early next year and go!

Actually what I should do is set up on the side of the highway and try to sell some stuff instead of bringing more home.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, pkhammer said:

Well done, PK! Love the Willys. 

As it happens, I too just returned from a multi-day trip on a long yard sale. This one is called the US 127 Yard Sale, which has its southern terminus in Gadsden, Alabama, and then travels north through Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, and finally Michigan. I too found some automotive goodies. I'll have to take some photos when I finally get the van unloaded. Cheers. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Did you take the trailer when you left home?😃

No, I had to go home and get my truck and borrow the trailer from a friend. My 20' enclosed trailer is sitting at home with a 1914 Model T in it! That aluminum tilt-deck trailer is nice too! I may not be in a big hurry to return it!

7 hours ago, lump said:

As it happens, I too just returned from a multi-day trip on a long yard sale. This one is called the US 127 Yard Sale, which has its southern terminus in Gadsden, Alabama, and then travels north through Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, and finally Michigan. I too found some automotive goodies. I'll have to take some photos when I finally get the van unloaded. Cheers. 

Yes! Photos or it didn't happen! We've heard of that yard sale and would like to do it sometime. Might have to wait a few more years until I retire.

55 minutes ago, Rod P said:

Thats how you do it. 

A super long yard sale sounds fantastic. 

There are a couple in TN, my first was a portion of it that ran from Nashville to Memphis.  Word was that was the small one, the other was 500+ miles

1 hour ago, 30DodgePanel said:

I must live in the wrong part of the country (Phoenix AZ). 

Out here a HUGE SALE looks something like this when you get there. 
Like the belt buckle on the left is saying "WTH, you call this a sale lady?"

RVHA Yard Sale Photo Gallery

Thats because by the time people move to AZ they have already purged their junk (ahem, stuff).

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Good score on the Willys. I got one free for cleaning an estate a few years ago. Still not sure what to do with it. Had a guy on here interested but couldnt let it go at the time. Might be changing my mind!  Mine is a hard top version similar to but not a mail truck. I have too many irons in the pot, but in a perfect world I would like to get it running and leave the rest alone. Its pretty rough.

I'm having a ball with this thing! It yard drives pretty good except little to no brakes. Throwout bearing was making noise at first but seems to be ok after a little running. 

This Jeep really brings back some memories. I had a buddy back in my late teens-early twenties that had a early 60s Willys CJ5 with the F-Head 4 cylinder. We ran that thing EVERYWHERE like a couple of fools. Then I met my future Wife who had purchased a new 1980 AMC Jeep CJ7. Not a very reliable piece of transportation but lots of fun!!

I like antique cars. I like open cars. I like simple cars. I like cars that I can find parts for. I like cars that are fun to drive. I like cars that bring back memories. This Jeep checks all the boxes.

Here's a typical spot along the yard crawl route. I think there is around 60 miles of this.

Route 11 Yard Sale: 43-Mile Yard Sale In Virginia In Shenandoah County

• Like 7

11 hours ago, JamesR said:

I love it when they have "Willys" stamped on the body somewhere.

Jeep actually offers a "WILLYS" package on Gladiators and Wranglers now. Pretty cool looking even if the "WILLYS" is only a decal.

Owned one Jeep in my lifetime. An apple green 1975 CJ5 named Eugene. Big fun in summertime with the top and doors off but had the most miserable heater ever. It would go through a snowbank but you'd freeze doing it.

40-some years later I still have scars on me backside from Eugene's short wheelbase door dogleg. Skinny boys in shorts and CJ5 doglegs don't mix well...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

Jeep actually offers a "WILLYS" package on Gladiators and Wranglers now. Pretty cool looking even if the "WILLYS" is only a decal.

Yes, we own a 2014 version of the Wrangler Unlimited "Willys". We've taken it cross country 3 times, each trip exceeding 6k miles. It already has 144,000 miles on it. They have definitely come a long way.

8 hours ago, pkhammer said:

No, I had to go home and get my truck and borrow the trailer from a friend. My 20' enclosed trailer is sitting at home with a 1914 Model T in it! That aluminum tilt-deck trailer is nice too! I may not be in a big hurry to return it!

Yes! Photos or it didn't happen! We've heard of that yard sale and would like to do it sometime. Might have to wait a few more years until I retire.

I bought a Aluma aluminum car trailer in 2002 and still love it.   Carried lots of cars to tours on it without issues.  Tows great and low maintenance.

IMG_0567[1].JPG

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Craig Gillingham said:

The acetylene headlamp is probably off a Motorcycle. They typically had the rim hinge at the top. Also, that grey colour is close to the Renault grey that Harley's were painted from 1906 to early 1917.

Hadn't thought of that. Thanks!