Automotive related sayings you've encountered.

While getting my old car restored I've ran into some interesting sayings or folksisms.Here's a few.It runs like an Apperson Jackrabbit! A painter said "let's shoot the habbit to the rabbit". My car been ribbed rubbed.My friend went to a swap meet and thought he'd cut a fat hogg. My cars so fast I can't drive it all day,it always arrives before night time.I'm sure there's more that I forgot.I once met a man at Hershey named Happ Hazard which I thought was cool. Feel free to share some of yours.

It runs (or "goes") like a turpentine cat!

Turpentine on a cat's tail feels like it is burning, and the cat just keeps running as fast as it can to get away from it. Quite cruel actually, and I love cats. So no demonstrations please.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 3:37 AM, wayne sheldon said:

It runs (or "goes") like a turpentine cat!

Turpentine on a cat's tail feels like it is burning, and the cat just keeps running as fast as it can to get away from it. Quite cruel actually, and I love cats. So no demonstrations please.

That reminds me of the joke about a priest and a boy with a jar of gasoline. A boy was sitting on the curb when a priest walked by carrying a bottle of liquid. The boy asked what was in it and the priest said it's the most powerful liquid there is,Holy Water,you can pour it in a pregnant woman and she'll pass a baby.The boy said mines more powerfull,if you pour it on a cats ass it will pass a motorcycle! In no way do I condone such an act of cruelty,I just viewed it as a joke.

Edited by Buick35
Add more text. (see edit history)

There's no replacement for displacement. This saying refers to the fact that a larger engine will generally produce more power than a smaller engine.

If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough duct tape. This saying is a joke about the versatility of duct tape. It can be used to fix a wide variety of things, from minor repairs to major disasters.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

That kinda like a "re-ann"? You know, what the "giz" are in!

One of my great-uncles was partial to "Burick artomobiles". Another old fellow in the neighborhood always aspired to own an "Electrolux Burick".

The late great Jerry Clower had a story about joobin' a button to turn the  Cruiseomatic on.

Then there were Powerslide, Dynaslow and Dynaslush transmissions.

On 8/1/2023 at 9:58 AM, Buick35 said:

Buick are just Chevys with lock washers.

That was Pinky Randall's (Mr Chevrolet) notable saying -

We were in his motorhome on June 29th, 1994 during the 4 Cylinder VCCA Chevy Tour of Yellowstone Park.  I was driving my 1927 Chevy Capitol AA Roadster on the tour, but asked for the group's help finding a 1934 or 1935 Buick convertible, preferably the big series.

Pinky, in his inimitable way, stood up to his full height -

hands on his hips, and said:
"Marty, Don't you know?

A Buick is just a Chevrolet with Lock Washers!

So, I asked him what a Cadillac would be, and he answered:
Stainless Lock Washers !

I recall visiting his home on the way back from the Glidden Tour at Mackinac City, Michigan. The Chevy collectibles filled the basement area, and included what I was advised was the very last Corvair - if I recall, a partially completed coupe (but my memory is fuzzy on that one). We also visited his storage are a short distance away, Pinky and Joyce were exceptionally decent people, and a pleasure to be with. 

• Like 1

Much of Pinky Randall's collection was purchased by GM a few years ago and will reside in the new Heritage Center in Grand Blanc, Michigan when it is finished. 

GM is moving the Heritage Center from the Detroit area to the old GM Parts Division/ GM Customer Care & Aftersales headquarters in Grand Blanc.  It will take up the whole building. 

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2