Another phone call….another car adventure. Car adventure #4 ……..

edinmass

Well, the phone rang last week in the evening asking if I was the really old car guy…….approaching 60 I told him I’m getting there but am not that old yet………anyway, Phil “With the hands like George The Animal Steel” and I got up early this morning and are having breakfast about three miles from the old pineapple shed where the car has been since new……..and living in it for 103 years. Original and unmolested, supposedly the motor turns. We shall see what we have in a couple hours…….and the next adventure begins. 

• Like 18

6 minutes ago, George K said:

If that’s a honest chronological number they made a s-pot of them

Or, it could be number 20 of a 20 car run!  Let’s see, they made 20 1939 Packard V-12 convertible sedans, I believe!

C’mon, Ed, spill some more beans….I’m waiting with bated breath….

• Like 1

AJ said I should post a photo…….he couldn’t take the suspense……….

AJ, this one is for you…….that’s not the pineapple shack behind the car.

The actual car isn’t quite as exciting as the one in the photo. 😎

IMG_1206.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

The first digit is a 2

The car has 25 inch rims……it’s a middle of the market car, nothing exotic this time. Think of a middle class car of the era. When I actually ID it, I will post a photo of it….probably in the next hour or so.

• Like 2

It’s not in my sights for a car in my personal garage. Phil and I have agreed to get it running and see what develops.

• Like 7

George…..they can’t all be great finds……….interestingly there is another garage filled with wonderful things, if and when I get a photo I will post it. 

9 hours ago, edinmass said:

Ok…..it’s a 1920 Buick…………

IMG_1259.jpeg

Neat find, Ed. 

Anytime you can find one with known (proven) history it's a plus regardless what it is.

What's in the case?

Thanks for taking us along for the ride
Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

George…..they can’t all be great finds……….interestingly there is another garage filled with wonderful things, if and when I get a photo I will post it. 

I understand. I have nothing against Buick. E026B607-6715-476E-BBE4-78E5A264A8C1.jpeg.f0c9c2555ffa56abc6d975ba32da7cd7.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When I go hunting, I go for the big trophies. This car was actually on a waterfront estate back in the day in a very wealthy town.  This Buick is a nice car, and 2/3 of the people who like pre war stuff would jump on it. With high horsepower stuff in my garage it doesn’t make sense for me to try to own this. Even if given the car for free, by the time we’re done doing tires in sorting it out, we’re gonna be at more than it’s worth as of Barn Find. Which is OK, because this is supposed to be fun and the journey is half the fun. Also, remember I have a nice original 15 T, and this car basically duplicates that other five years newer.

• Like 5

Ed:

Your Buick Engine Serial # 750020 would put this as late 1921. Model 49 if a 7 passenger car. ID. plate on floor board. Chassis # on frame behind left front wheel, repeated on brass tag, left side rear near gas tank. # 687794 was the last for 1920. Most likely the chassis number.

Edited by dibarlaw (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s a five passenger.

What is interchangeable between 1920 & 1921? I found a member here with a parts car from 20, and I need a few items. Best, Ed

Thanks for the number ID, it is a 7 and not a 2. 

• Like 1

Buicks of the 1910s and 1920s are wonderful cars! Several of my best friends have used them as nickel era tour cars for many years. Relatively fast, very reliable by era standards. Great looking, and just common enough to be fairly easy to find parts for them.

• Like 3

Ed: Tell me know what you may need and I may be able to tell what may interchange. I have an original 1914-1931 Master Parts book with accessory adendums. 

One or our Buick Club members 1921-45 5 passenger touring.

DSCF7514.JPG.9fd725b16e94eb607a6a45c21590c52f.JPG

A 1920-45 I offered on back in the early 1990s Serial # said 1920 K-45 but he insisted it was a 1919 because it was first registered in PA. in late October of 1919.1920K-45001.jpg.259f8d07931226a6dbb00b3ffe0c3ee3.jpg

Edited by dibarlaw
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 5

George, I can look at a Model J block and tell you where in the production run it was made from the casting lines……..on more common cars I simply just don’t play with them very often. I last worked on a Buick from the same era back in 1983. It was a 100 point car and for sale at 3500 dollars back then. It took me two years of studying Ford T’s before I was able to find a good one. Buying a correct original T is more difficult than finding a low mileage V-12 Pierce.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, alsancle said:

George, don't feel bad.  This is typically the end of the story when a friend of a friend tells you about a long lost Duesenberg.

Reminds me of the time a friend got a lead on a "guaranteed" Stutz Bearcat for sale cheap!

Car turned out to be a model 22 Metz.

• Haha 2