Chrysler Highlander Interior Question

Dave Wells

I know very little about Chrysler products, but some of their designs and accessories over the years interest me. One is the Highlander interior option. I have a few questions that I would appreciate answers to:

1)  In what years was this option available? I've seen cars as late as 1950. Was this option offered even later into the 50's?

2)  Did the option or colors change much over the years, or the trim material or colors?

3)  Was the seat material usually pleated or just flat?

4)  Is the original style material (NOS or repro) still available from suppliers.?  (--- I don't need a source at this time, thanks)

5)  Was the option available just in the "deluxe" series or on any model?

6) Did other Chrysler products like Dodge or Plymouth offer the Highlander interior?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Scotch on a Chrysler? - Old Cars Weekly

1942 Chrysler Windsor Highlander | Chrysler windsor, Chrysler, Car interior

'50 Chrysler NY'er Highlander MT l.jpg

The Highlander interiors are interesting, but I don't

think they are all that rare.  Chrysler was offering them

even in the late 1970's.

I think the actual plaid varied a bit over the years,

so you'd have to be careful to get the right material for your car.

Much rarer, I think, is the "Navaho" interior from the

1940's or 1950's.  (I don't know which years it was offered.)

I've seen it only in catalogues, never in person.  The cloth pattern

resembled a Navaho Indian blanket.

• Like 3

Doing some very quick research, the Highlander interiors started in 1941 and were available through 1953.  They were available in the red and green combinations you posted.  They were available only on Chrysler models.  Chrysler brands offered various plaid interior patterns after 1953 but I'm not certain if they were ever call Highlander other than what is noted above in 1961-2.

Bucket list car would be a 46-48 Chrysler Town and Country Convertible yellow with the red Highlander interior - I remember seeing one in that combination 35 + years ago in the grocery store parking lot while going to university in Kingston, Ont - top down in the fall, fabulous looking car.

Edited by 3macboys (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942, Edited by Kimes and Clark states the Highlander plaid interior option became available for the 1940 model year.  Classed a sub-series to the Windsor and New Yorker models, the price was $25 more.   For 1941-'42 only, the American Indian Navajo Thunderbird motif upholstery option joined the Highlander plaids but wasn't given a sub-series name.  Each were a $20 option.  

Postwar, the Highlander option remained available through 1952, though was tapering off in popularity.

Edited by 58L-Y8
underline book title (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 61polara said:

The 1953 Chrysler brochure appears to show it as an option.  This may be pre-production art work and not actually offered.

Please post a photo of that artwork or a link to where it can be viewed.  I wasn't able to find verification that the 1953 model year was included, only 1952.

A year or so ago, I bought a 1948 Highlander New Yorker.  It was originally a Highlander, but since redone in vinyl.  I intend to redo as original. My conclusions to date are:

The pre-war plaid fabric is different from the post-war plaid fabric.  
The pre-war version is currently offered by SMS.

I was able to obtain the correct post-war fabric from a mill in Scotland.  The correct post-war pattern is “MacPherson Ancient”

The fabric on the immediate post-war cars was pleated at approximately 4-inch intervals.

I welcome any further input from anyone who may have an original post-war car.

BTW, I have some of the pre-war fabric from SMS available for resale.  PM me if interested.

I also have to say that I love the Highlanders, and was specifically looking for one when I bought mine.

92D35B4A-8F07-4C49-9DC7-1DBA0EF72C99.jpeg

Edited by Akstraw
Added info (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great detective work, Akstraw, on that postwar pattern! I have a 49 myself. The leather is pretty rough, though the tartan has mostly survived. I've thought of buying some material and trying to do it myself. (My car is a "driver" 4 door and really not worth the cost of paying someone.) One oddity that year was that cars with the Highlander trim didn't have any identification anywhere to call out the series. The fender nameplate just reads "Highlander" though, for some reason, they used a just slightly different design for the "junior" models vs the Saratoga/New Yorker. I believe both 48 (and first series 49) plus the 50's all used nameplates that would state "Highlander/Windsor", etc.

The popularity of the design was mirrored in its wide use for aftermarket seat covers in that era. 

• Like 1

Probably obvious by now, but DeSoto, Dodge, and Plymouth never had a Highlander upholstery option.  Like someone above, I too have never seen the rare Navajo upholstery on a car, except in the book 70 Years of Chrysler by George Dammann.  It was only offered on the 41 and 42 Chryslers.  

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 7:48 AM, 61polara said:

From the 1953 Chrysler New Yorker sales brochure.

1953 Chrysler New Yorker Brochure (oldcarbrochures.com)

Thanks! I forgot about that site.

Addendum: Here is a link to a site about the Highlander and Southwest Native American upholstery options:

Chrysler's Southwestern Native American interiors of 1941 and 1942 (autopuzzles.com)

'53 Chrysler upholstery choices.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
addendum comments (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...

Akstraw,  

Good for you for finding the post-war Highlander fabric!   Do you have the name and contact info for the mill in Scotland that produces the “MacPherson Ancient” material?  I need some of the predominantly red with the green-and-blue stripes (it’s hard to describe a plaid!) for a ‘48 New Yorker. Is it an exact match?  Did they weave it from scratch for you, or was it in some NOS bolts in storage?  I remember reading somewhere that the plaid was called “MacDuff,” but maybe that was pre-war…?  

By the way, does anyone have an idea of what percentage or even number of cars had Highlander interiors? I’m especially curious about how many 3-window coupes and how many Broughams had it in ‘48.  Is that information available anywhere? And post-war, was it still a $25 option, or had the price gone up as one would expect?

imagejpeg_0.jpeg.57420b21f5f5cb099c71eec7591347e3.jpegIMG_7601.jpeg.01654af936e9743b7ae5a0946fab8e67.jpeg

Thanks in advance for the help!

I think I have some of this fabric.  Give me a day or two and I will get back to you with some details.

Here are two photos.  The first is the fabric that I believe was used pre-war.  I have several yards of this available.  It was purchased by the prior owner of my car from SMS.  The second photo is what I believe is the correct pattern for the 1948 Highlander.  I selected it based on photos of original cars from 1948.  This is the one I purchased from Scotland.  I can get you the source info tomorrow if you’d like.

IMG_0936.jpeg

IMG_0937.jpeg

Edited by Akstraw
Correction (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2023 at 9:06 AM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Much rarer, I think, is the "Navaho" interior from the

1940's or 1950's.  (I don't know which years it was offered.)

I've seen it only in catalogues, never in person.  The cloth pattern

resembled a Navaho Indian blanket.

I think the reason no one has seen a 41-42 Chrysler with the Navajo trim is it is one of those catalog options that it never really materialized on a real car, except maybe on a proto-type for the ad.  The 1942 DeSoto catalog also advertised as an accessory, air conditioning, but that doesn't mean any cars got it.  Here are two pics that come from 41-42 DeSoto catalogs.  These pics have been colorized, so I don't know how accurate these colors are.    

Navajo_color.jpg.d332bdd810af1d765fa9c3b88dfbbddc.jpg

Tbird_color.jpg.023a4246ed9a334f08a2dba4e83070a5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It was my understanding that the plaid pattern in my ‘48 NYer was called “McPhergus Plaid”. 
This was according to Don Narus The red plaid used in 1940-’42 was the so-called Scotch plaid,” Narus said. “Postwar it was McPhergus for red, Black Watch for green (woven with stripes of green, dark blue and black wool), and was referred to as ‘Highlander Plaid.’”
My original interior is pictured below. Also pictured are two ads which were posted along with a surviving matching car for sale.

IMG_6094.png

IMG_6093.png

IMG_6092.png

Edited by Jeff Perkins / Mn (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 6:18 AM, Dave Wells said:

I know very little about Chrysler products, but some of their designs and accessories over the years interest me. One is the Highlander interior option. I have a few questions that I would appreciate answers to:

1)  In what years was this option available? I've seen cars as late as 1950. Was this option offered even later into the 50's?

2)  Did the option or colors change much over the years, or the trim material or colors?

3)  Was the seat material usually pleated or just flat?

4)  Is the original style material (NOS or repro) still available from suppliers.?  (--- I don't need a source at this time, thanks)

5)  Was the option available just in the "deluxe" series or on any model?

6) Did other Chrysler products like Dodge or Plymouth offer the Highlander interior?

Thanks for your help in advance with Baddiehub.

1942 Chrysler Windsor Highlander | Chrysler windsor, Chrysler, Car interior

'50 Chrysler NY'er Highlander MT l.jpg

I need help with the year. I know its a Highlander convertible, but what exact year. Couldn't find to many pics on the inner-web to narrow it down. I think its later than the 40-42 model? What you see is what I may be able to get, but not sure at this point if there is more. And only these three pictures during a fleeting moment. I did get a look at the motor, but no pic. I think I saw spitfire, and small like a flat head four, but assume its the six... And if we identify the year, are there other Chrysler cars that share the same fenders, etc.?

1 hour ago, michaelmackay said:

I need help with the year. I know its a Highlander convertible, but what exact year. Couldn't find to many pics on the inner-web to narrow it down. I think its later than the 40-42 model? What you see is what I may be able to get, but not sure at this point if there is more. And only these three pictures during a fleeting moment. I did get a look at the motor, but no pic. I think I saw spitfire, and small like a flat head four, but assume its the six... And if we identify the year, are there other Chrysler cars that share the same fenders, etc.?

I presume you had pictures to support your questions  

• 3 weeks later...

Akstraw,  

Good for you for finding the post-war Highlander fabric!   Do you have the name and contact info for the mill in Scotland that produces the “MacPherson Ancient” material?  I need some of the predominantly red with the green-and-blue stripes (it’s hard to describe a plaid!) for a ‘48 New Yorker. Is it an exact match?  Did they weave it from scratch for you, or was it in some NOS bolts in storage?  I remember reading somewhere that the plaid was called “MacDuff,” but maybe that was pre-war…?  

By the way, does anyone have an idea of what percentage or even number of cars had Highlander interiors? I’m especially curious about how many 3-window coupes and how many Broughams had it in ‘48.  Is that information available anywhere? And post-war, was it still a $25 option, or had the price gone up as one would expect?

imagejpeg_0.jpeg.57420b21f5f5cb099c71eec7591347e3.jpegIMG_7601.jpeg.01654af936e9743b7ae5a0946fab8e67.jpeg

Thanks in advance for the help!

Akstraw,

Yes, I would appreciate having the contact info for the mill in Scotland. I believe you’re right, your second picture looks like the material in my pics from the ‘48 NY. Thank you for going to the trouble to dig it up.