Caddy no brakey

Bhigdog

I am not real familiar with Cadillac of that vintage, but it should have had a foot (probably?) mechanical brake as an emergency and parking brake. If it was in proper order, it should have been able to stop the car, maybe. Some of those did not work very well in reverse, and some cars they barely worked forward.

Even with earlier cars with mechanical brakes, especially model Ts with the original transmission brake, I often advise people to practice stopping their cars with the emergency brake. This to familiarize them with how well it does or doesn't work so that they can know what to expect in case of a service brake failure. Knowing what to expect of the emergency brake has saved my bacon a few times! Usually in a modern car.

• Like 1

They failed to mention if the owner drove the car into the garage or backed it in. I've always thought it was classier to back them in so they are read to go. Lost my brakes in the winter on a down hill and used the parking brake and years NASCAR viewing to avoid any problems at the bottom of the hill. Continued home a bit slower then scrapped the car. 

People don't often enough realize that mechanical systems like to be used. Hydraulic brakes are in fact a mechanical system with a hydraulic element to them. The hydraulic element is the weak spot in the braking system when lack of regular use becomes an issue. Good mechanical brakes even not well maintained can sit for decades, and often function safely without being serviced before returning the car to the road. IF (big IF) they are functional after sitting for a long time, there is a very good chance they will not suddenly fail jumping back into use. The hydraulic elements however, very often fail simply by sitting for too long. Too long could be a decade, or a few months (surprise!). And worse, if they seem to still function? They very often suddenly fail, often without warning, soon after being put into use.

He should have purchased Quality U.S.A. Brake Parts from me —- and that NEVER would have happened….

What did happen is a crying shame…. Seeing a beautiful cruiser like that, in that condition, elicits tears from me….

And all the NEW brake parts are a looooooootttt less expensive than the now ruined  Used body parts……

Craig…..

Vintage Cadillac damaged when brakes fail – Times News Online

The driver had three chances and failed all three.

1. Once the engine started dear old dad said " check the gauges, test the brake pedal firmness. You are supposed to do this every time!

2. Having not listened to dear old dad on # 1. On a roll out of the gate apply the "E" brake.

3. Having not listen to dear old dad on # 2. If all else fails shove the automatic into park.

Dear old dad would have said "I told you so." And Fred Sanford would have also quipped on the end of that "Dummy."

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I am not real familiar with Cadillac of that vintage, but it should have had a foot (probably?) mechanical brake as an emergency and parking brake. If it was in proper order, it should have been able to stop the car, maybe. Some of those did not work very well in reverse, and some cars they barely worked forward.

Even with earlier cars with mechanical brakes, especially model Ts with the original transmission brake, I often advise people to practice stopping their cars with the emergency brake. This to familiarize them with how well it does or doesn't work so that they can know what to expect in case of a service brake failure. Knowing what to expect of the emergency brake has saved my bacon a few times! Usually in a modern car.

You are exactly correct. I've had to use the e-brake and downshifting to overcome brake line blowouts on multiple vehicles over my driving career. Every time I was able to stop safely. I shudder to think about how something like this would work in a new-ish car with those ridiculous electric "parking brakes" (apparently the lawyers won't let them use the term "emergency brake" anymore). 

As I recall, PARKING BRAKES don't do much if the car is rolling backward-

and on some later year Cadillacs, the Parking brake releases when the tranny is put in gear (don't recall when this started?)

On my '54 Hydra-matic, park is engaged when the trans is in "R" for reverse, AND the key is in the "OFF" position

• 2 weeks later...

On my ‘52 Cadillac when my brakes weren’t quite right I had to use the emergency brake lever to stop the car. It stopped that big 20’ boat with no problem. The brake lever on mine pulls the rear shoes onto the drum like the pedal does so I’m not sure how that wouldn’t have worked if the shoes and emergency brake were functioning. 

That's a heck of a newspaper - not only are they willing put a story about a minor (non-injurious) accident with an old car in their paper, they include a photo of the damage. Those are the kind of small town papers I like!