A ‘39, a ‘48, a ‘49 and a ‘50 Roadmaster for sale

• 2 weeks later...

So I couldn’t stand it any longer and took a 2 hour ride down to Macon a couple days ago to check these Roadmasters out. The seller is a super nice older gentleman and has had many Buicks. He recently sent several of them  off to RM auction. These are what’s left They are located on the old homeplace and amongst some huge old oak trees, some of which have fallen and taken their toll on the Buicks as can be seen in the picture below.  All of these cars are relatively complete and were running when he acquired them. I have no affiliation with the sale of these other than trying to help the guy find homes for them. The titles are somewhere in the old house but it has been pilfered through but he will try to find them. They are being sold with Bill of Sale only at this time though

The ‘39 Roadmaster Asking $2,500

IMG_4699.jpeg.c95a1e2fe70514d9b0ed3912fc6fe119.jpegIMG_4642.jpeg.4b373271baae44c4a5e1a06650fd945d.jpegIMG_4626.jpeg.0cf329605282f238667ac261652c9124.jpegIMG_4628.jpeg.a1c05955636466fa7c9175a6f5741b95.jpegIMG_4630.jpeg.3f80a05633d3505c0f79063d1794c2f9.jpegIMG_4644.jpeg.397b21b82515612909ceff30bc574e5a.jpegIMG_4652.jpeg.da0644d08b6c6045b78168fd6873f593.jpegIMG_4636.jpeg.da92232d0401c4388d9335c87df2456b.jpegIMG_4657.jpeg.00265d966bf2fdd4b0deee8a69850c73.jpeg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There’s some wiggle room on pricing especially if all taken. A rollback would be ideal for hauling but a four wheel drive and trailer could work. The old homeplace is down a long driveway surrounded by bushes and briars. Would recommend blousing you pants leg, I was covered in ticks when I got home Message me for contact info if seriously interested in anything. @Pete Phillips knowing your love for architecture you should see the inside of of this 1919 Craftsman style exposed vertical and horizontal beam house,  still pretty much furnished. I think he said he has offered it to the historical society.

The two non Buick’s will be offered in the near future. IMG_4719.jpeg.1014d8e736a42f7ff25065dcb8b0094e.jpegIMG_4716.jpeg.7097249242c30766aedd4c6a5bf6b7ab.jpegIMG_4714.jpeg.2abb0ebc6c93101f0e00d170250deacb.jpegIMG_4620.jpeg.a9478ca72c308255e989aaba7d58ebe7.jpegIMG_4623.jpeg.0cd7d035d4a0cc81ed027d8c5e13901a.jpegIMG_4617.jpeg.1d51b66b93d336f3ee8d689534e446af.jpegIMG_4625.jpeg.a623199925e137e3e0ce2dd38f875a6f.jpegIMG_4618.jpeg.b907c332ed229685ed7e3ec8b9eafcc3.jpegIMG_4624.jpeg.6fd5580e820732a377958a9914dacf03.jpeg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

So I couldn’t stand it any longer and took a 2 hour ride down to Macon a couple days ago to check these Roadmasters out. The seller is a super nice older gentleman and has had many Buicks. He recently sent several of them  off to RM auction. These are what’s left They are located on the old homeplace and amongst some huge old oak trees, some of which have fallen and taken their toll on the Buicks as can be seen in the picture below.  All of these cars are relatively complete and were running when he acquired them. I have no affiliation with the sale of these other than trying to help the guy find homes for them. The titles are somewhere in the old house but it has been pilfered through but he will try to find them. They are being sold with Bill of Sale only at this time though

The ‘39 Roadmaster Asking $2,500

IMG_4699.jpeg.c95a1e2fe70514d9b0ed3912fc6fe119.jpegIMG_4657.jpeg.00265d966bf2fdd4b0deee8a69850c73.jpeg

That crease on the body will mean its a parts car, unless someone *very* keen and skilled.

Pity the good cars were not in the good garage.

{I have been to Macon !}

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1939_Buick said:

That crease on the body will mean its a parts car, unless someone *very* keen and skilled.

Pity the good cars were not in the good garage.

{I have been to Macon !}

“Which” crease 😬?  I thought I had taken a better picture of the roof, it was caved in too. Drill a 1” hole through the roof, insert cable, tie to a 4’ 2x4 and with a comalong hooked to a tree pop that sucker out. I’m seriously considering making an offer on it, clean it up a bit and parking next to the ‘36 Roadmaster in front of the Buick Sales and Service.  I’m still scratching all the tick bites from the last visit though….

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

“Which” crease 😬?  I thought I had taken a better picture of the roof, it was caved in too. Drill a 1” hole through the roof, insert cable, tie to a 4’ 2x4 and with a comalong hooked to a tree pop that sucker out. I’m seriously considering making an offer on it, clean it up a bit and parking next to the ‘36 Roadmaster in front of the Buick Sales and Service.  I’m still scratching all the tick bites from the last visit though….

😆😆

The moustache bar is worth a bit if not cracked. I believe it is the same for all three series in 1950.  This one might part out enough to make a small profit.

Ben

• Like 1

Lamar, thanks for performing this great service to all the BUICK armchair tire kickers. It was super of you to invest your considerable time to make the trip and then post so many good photos. I'm with you on making an offer for the '39 Roadmaster. It would be a great addition to the BUICK Sales & Service dealership inventory of interesting used cars. But, please don't spend all your fun money cash on the Roadmaster....if you know what I mean! Your BUICK pal, John

2 minutes ago, Jolly_John said:

BUICK armchair tire kickers

and FLAT tire kickers at that....

well buddy, from what I've seen '39 grilles selling for these days, I figured I could make a killing on it, them torpedo headlights and dual side mounts don't ya think. 😉

of course I could never stand to see that wrecked beauty parted out, so what a dilemma... maybe I can find a cheap old '39 grille somewhere....

8 minutes ago, Jolly_John said:

Lamar, thanks for performing this great service

Happy to share!  I am so glad I decided to take that 2 hours drive and spend the day with this somewhat eccentric gentleman, seeing the old home place, the cars and riding around the old streets of Macon with him. He currently lives in an 1849 built Greek mansion in amongst other old Victorian homes in Macon. He spoke of the fact that Sherman had connections there in Macon hence did not burn the town down on his march to the sea. Aside from the ticks crawling all around in my shirt and pants on the way home, and some attaching themselves to places where the sun don't shine, twas a great day indeed.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, MrEarl said:

and the ‘50 Roadmaster sedan 

Remarkably the front and rear survived and have lots of good parts. Asking $1000 

IMG_4616.jpeg

Dang, looks like this one had the best interior before the tree....

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 8:03 AM, MrEarl said:

if you do I want some minor but hard to find parts off it (you wouldn't know they were missing when parked on the lawn out front of Buick Gardens I promise)... let's discuss...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 38Buick 80C said:

if you do I want some minor but hard to find parts off it (you wouldn't know they were missing when parked on the lawn out front of Buick Gardens I promise)... let's discuss...

It’s a 39 brother, you don’t have a 39… 

do you?!?!

On 5/25/2023 at 2:00 PM, Jolly_John said:

"They've gone down hill A BIT". Clearly, the original writer (not Lamar) is a master of the understatement. John

They didn't go downhill they went into the ground.

I can't believe the descriptions some people make.

They must think people are stupid.

• Like 1

Spoke with the owner of the cars today. He is really wanting to move these cars, realizes the above prices may be high, they are gotta start somewhere prices and is looking for offers. Personally I’d be afraid to even make a lowball offer on the 4, afraid he might accept. PM me for his contact info if seriously interested in anything. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 6/17/2023 at 10:46 PM, MrEarl said:

Spoke with the owner of the cars today. He is really wanting to move these cars, realizes the above prices may be high, they are gotta start somewhere prices and is looking for offers. Personally I’d be afraid to even make a lowball offer on the 4, afraid he might accept. PM me for his contact info if seriously interested in anything. 

You lowball and win the jackpot of four Buicks I’ll load up the IH and a chainsaw and let the adventure begin. 

IMG_2719.jpeg

On 6/9/2023 at 10:03 PM, MrEarl said:

In my part of the world the 1939 series 80 could/would be considered restorable.  A few dents/crease and some rust do not scare people.  The interior has to be done anyway. 10% or 95% destroyed makes little difference. Same for paint

At least its sold to some one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my part of the world the 1939 series 80 could/would be considered restorable.  A few dents/crease and some rust do not scare people.

Yep, you're dead right.   20 years ago , when I was a younger man ,I would have had a crack at that 49 Roadmaster.

• Like 4

On 6/26/2023 at 11:23 PM, 1939_Buick said:

At least its sold to some one

Actually sold to the sellers mechanic who’s worked on all his cars throughout the years. . He bought it for his son and plans a full restoration. I invited them to join the BCA and this forum 

He’s currently got the Cadillac in his shop prepping for sale, then the Packard

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

How bad was the rust? Lower doors, rockers look ambitious. Floors, trunk, maybe even the frame, probably bad, too? 

Nevertheless, seeing it on the trailer, high and pride in the sun, I regret not buying it. Super gorgeous car. What a design. But I am up to my shoulders in projects anyway....

Yesterday I had a car buddy seeing my 47 Super Sedanet I am currently working on for the first time, totally original, and he asked was this car factory chopped by a few inches.  No, it came that cool from the factory..... 

• Like 1