Luray, Va. Prewar Swap Meet

I'm heading over this afternoon to set up. I have two spaces and my trailer is loaded down with lots of model A and T goodies so please come by and say hello! Thankfully this is only an hour from my house so if I sell out Friday I can come home and restock! 😃 

I just sold my model A Roadster so I may be in the market for something well sorted and ready to go. Model A or T touring, phaeton or pickup perhaps?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, George Albright said:

Norm Hutton is bringing my 1931 Ford yellow race car for sale at the show. You can see photos and info on it in the AACA speedster forum towards the bottom of the forums page. Thanks George Albright Ocala Florida cell 352 843 1624

Where is this Speedster Forum you speak of, how do we find it? 

7 hours ago, pkhammer said:

I just sold my model A Roadster so I may be in the market for something well sorted and ready to go. Model A or T touring, phaeton or pickup perhaps?

Well that didn't take long, thought you were excited about that one.  if I can fit my 40" waistline through those doors I know you can, just need more space?? 🤔😁😁

3 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Well that didn't take long, thought you were excited about that one.  if I can fit my 40" waistline through those doors I know you can, just need more space?? 🤔😁😁

Got frustrated over the gas tank issue and I also needed space. Interior of tank was crustier than any I've ever seen and I decided if someone else wanted to tackle it, I'd let it go so that's what happened. I promised myself the next one won't need anything but gas.

• Like 3

I got to the swap meet around 3:30 and spent a couple hours setting up. Lots of vendors already there and some nice cars (mostly T's) there for sale. I'll try to get some photos tomorrow. If you are a Model T aficionado, you should be here!

Hi, Greg!  Any Franklins for sale?  What other complete and possibly running pre-war vehicles are for sale besides T's & A's?  Thanks!  Greg

I saw a set of Franklin headlights today at the meet but that's as close to a Franklin as I saw. Quite a few T's and a couple A's for sale, some quite reasonable. Day was sunny and in the mid-eighties so pretty warm day! Forecast is rain tomorrow so we packed up this evening and came home. Everybody likes photos so here are a few pics I took today.

103_0684.JPG

103_0685.JPG

103_0686.JPG

103_0687.JPG

103_0688.JPG

103_0689.JPG

103_0690.JPG

103_0691.JPG

103_0692.JPG

103_0693.JPG

103_0694.JPG

103_0695.JPG

103_0696.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

A beautiful day for a meet.  If you are a Model T (or A) guy, this is the place for you!  A smattering of other stuff here and there, but a fun and pleasant venue no matter what make has your interest.  No made-in-China tools, no zip ties, no political flags and such, just rusty old parts.  Well done, sponsors: Shenandoah Valley Racket-T-ers.

• Like 6

There was a Tourist Home just in the next block from the UVa hospital (12 1/2th or 13th St.) . I used to stop and visit the owner, as he had several old cars, including an A. Usually one for sale, to fund his hobby further. Back in the $1000 old car days for GOOD ones!😃 Not that I could afford that while going to college. 

It was a great weekend in Luray!  Home now, unpacking and sorting out the goodies I found there.  My report is basically a "dittos" to what's already been said.  A great event, just like they used to be and still should be. Focus is on early stuff and real parts and accessories, not made yesterday repro souvenirs and yard-sale crap like you'll find in some swap meets.  A big difference is the folks who run this are hobby people.  It's not a business.  Any money made supports the VFW.  They sell good food cheap, make things easy and take care of the vendors.  The Friday fried chicken dinner is always great and is an opportunity to sit down with fellow vendors and meet new friends.  This year I had a new neighbor - Mark Weatherbee, a regular here on the forum  We traded some stuff and spent time enjoying the day together.  The entire event is laid back and has a relaxed fun atmosphere

Thursday is the set-up day. After a pleasant trip via back-roads from Chesapeake, i pull in around 2PM.  There were already some vendors set up so I wandered a bit to visit and see what was there.  Quickly spent some bucks buying some needed T parts, and started taking photos.  Managed to get a few parts out later and quickly sold some brass.  That evening, enjoyed a traditional Italian dinner in a small restaurant in town, enjoying company of good friends.

Friday was a beautiful sunny and even hot day - temps in the high 80s.  The vendors were uncovered and the buyers were swarming all over the place before 10Am.  Sales were great and I finally managed to get out for a quick look about lunch-time.  Found a few more goodies!  Saw more great stuff, took a few pics and was treated to a quick picnic lunch with friends from home. 

I'll let the pics speak for themselves.  Lots of T stuff of course, but plenty of brass and a variety of items to be discovered.  Saw brass-era Cadillac parts, Studebaker stuff from the teens (including one complete car for sale), some Maxwell stuff, a few Brush items, loads of tools, even a few complete cars.  Lots of Model A stuff.  All this stuff was the kind you'd find at flea markets years ago - from club members cleaning out from under the workbench or things from country farm sales or cleaned out from an old shed.  good old parts that had not been bought off evil-bay for resale, or have been drug around from other swap meets and didn't sell because the price was too high.  Buyers and sellers were both serious, but what a great time we had just visiting. 

The threat of rain probably hindered attendance somewhat on Saturday, but there were still vendors out there and still plenty of good stuff to discover.   I bough a great early brass speedometer, some gas lamp burners and other lamp pieces, and some NOS T parts. 

Enjoy the pics and put this one on your calendar for next time.  If you're hungry for a good old fashioned swap meet and like early car stuff, Luray is the place to be.

Terry

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

16.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

28.jpg

27.jpg

• Like 5

The Studebaker is a 1916 4 cylinder touring. It was for sale by WW Motorcars and Parts in Broadway, VA. It looked like a very complete car (it was parked next to our spaces) but needs complete restoration. Ask was $4,800 I believe but I got the impression that was very negotiable.

On 5/13/2023 at 10:05 AM, MetroPetro said:

73423409-2B79-4AFC-A887-70507DB1D54E.jpeg

You should have said hi it would be great to put a few faces to usernames! I also picked up this really unique Ford dealership badge from Don Lang which I think he got from you at Rhinebeck.

70559740741__E9AD40F4-939B-434A-9BD2-D34394C19206.jpeg.bdd75ca688d9859f83a7565b190c7396.jpegI kept believing that it was going to rain and packed up after dinner Friday, which was a good thing as I made myself so heat-sick that I never could have Saturday. The show was well attended Friday and I barely had time to walk around and buy… might have been a good thing!

IMG_1115.jpeg