Jay Leno got steamed! His words.

CatBird

Maybe it's just me, but I wish members would refrain from downloading stuff from the internet onto this site without any comment or purpose. If I want to look at other internet stuff, I am well capable of finding it, or having it pollute my Facebook page unsolicited. I like to come to this site to see members original views and opinions and advice on on old car stuff, not as a dumping ground for downloads. JMVHO.

• Like 4

Spoke to him last week. He is fine. Old school tough. The motorcycle seems to be worse than the burn incident. He will be 100 percent in the near future.........

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

While I do tend to agree with Gunsmoke about links without explanation? I usually ignore them unless a couple people I know make positive comments first.

Way too much just outright garbage on the internet! Too much badly written (for lack of a better word "crap") produced by clueless fools that know nothing about which they write. Too many badly formed opinions by people that do not understand even obvious realities in front of them! ( I rarely go to msn because they are terrible that way!)

This particular piece is published by Hagerty. So while not an "in depth" article, is mostly Jay Leno's words, and interesting given the limited connection most of us have with the man! And yes, I too have met the man, and had some significant length conversation with him on one random occasion! (We talked about his Bentley for about ten minutes before I realized who he was! Hey, it was an antique automobile! I don't waste my time trying to meet celebrities!)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

Maybe it's just me, but I wish members would refrain from downloading stuff from the internet onto this site without any comment or purpose. If I want to look at other internet stuff, I am well capable of finding it, or having it pollute my Facebook page unsolicited. I like to come to this site to see members original views and opinions and advice on on old car stuff, not as a dumping ground for downloads. JMVHO.

🤒

On 3/17/2023 at 12:08 PM, Gunsmoke said:

I like to come to this site to see members original views and opinions and advice on old car stuff, not as a dumping ground for downloads. 

The link IS 'old car stuff', with many interesting views and opinions on it in following posts.  

The only time it becomes a 'dumping ground' is when the same link gets posted here more than once.

Craig

• Like 2

On 3/17/2023 at 5:16 PM, wayne sheldon said:

While I do tend to agree with Gunsmoke about links without explanation? I usually ignore them unless a couple people I know make positive comments first.

Way too much just outright garbage on the internet! Too much badly written (for lack of a better word "crap") produced by clueless fools that know nothing about which they write. Too many badly formed opinions by people that do not understand even obvious realities in front of them! ( I rarely go to msn because they are terrible that way!)

Though most of the comments are positive. I guess I should make better preamble to posting links. I did search before posting it to see if it had already had been done. Most of the negative comments tend to discourage making link posts. One was so acerbic that, for the first time (on this Forum) put him on my ignore list so that he will never be disturbed by me again.

Let's do our best to promote learning in a brotherly loving manner for our hobby. When the few times I have felt making negative comments, this was done in private messages.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, CatBird said:

Though most of the comments are positive. I guess I should make better preamble to posting links. I did search before posting it to see if it had already had been done. Most of the negative comments tend to discourage making link posts. One was so acerbic that, for the first time (on this Forum) put him on my ignore list so that he will never be disturbed by me again.

Let's do our best to promote learning in a brotherly loving manner for our hobby. When the few times I have felt making negative comments, this was done in private messages.

Yes! Sharing knowledge and encouraging others here is what this forum should mostly be about! Antique auto related of course! And sharing links to interesting and/or informative other websites is a part of that. A short preamble, where it is going and what it is would help. Your title on the opening pretty well covered what it was about. I may be out of date (I think I was born to be so?)? However, I prefer (and usually post?) links showing the actual link rather than hidden behind a short "click here" or "LINK". That way, where it is going can usually (?) be seen in the actual link.

Simply as a point of explanation, I rarely go to "msn" links anymore. Way too many of their "writers" are not knowledgeable on the subjects they write lengthy articles about. They were full of severe misconceptions and serious errors, along with just generally very badly written (must have gotten their "university degree out of a Crackerjacks box? (told you I am out of date?)), that they were a total waste of time to read! Too many "msn" articles are nothing more than a litany of teasers. How many times can one say "keep reading and I will tell you something" and yet never tell me anything?

That is why knowing where a link is going does help. Some websites I am eager to see what someone there has to say! Some other places? Not so much.

I do hope that I have not offended you ever. I am an opinionated &&& and do tend to speak my mind. Besides, I also have an automotive history research problem I need to get back to and may need to ask a favor? Looking for some obscure automotive history related to Georgia.

Be well!

1 hour ago, wayne sheldon said:

Yes! Sharing knowledge and encouraging others here is what this forum should mostly be about! Antique auto related of course.

I do hope that I have not offended you ever. I am an opinionated &&& and do tend to speak my mind. Besides, I also have an automotive history research problem I need to get back to and may need to ask a favor? Looking for some obscure automotive history related to Georgia.

Be well!

Not offended. I am easily NOT offended. But I try to be appropriate. If I can help, please let me know.

My simple message above was not aimed at this poster in particular, but was an appeal to members in general to do one of 2 things. (1) avoid picking stuff off the internet and posting it without any explanation on this site, which means if I want to know what it is I have no choice but to click on it. (2) if you are going to post some such thing, then offer at least a short description of what it is about and why you are posting it here. Over past few months I have seen too many links posted without any comment, with a sort of "click here and trust me" notion, and I am always concerned about opening them for the obvious reasons, scams, viruses, etc.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, yachtflame said:

I don’t see the problem here. If you are worried about where the link would take you or about it’s content….just don’t click on it! There’s no requirement here to read everything, you can just pass it by.

Life is a buffet. Pick the items you want and ignore the rest. Move on. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

My simple message above was not aimed at this poster in particular, but was an appeal to members in general to do one of 2 things. ........

"Post about Jay Leno's explanation when he got burned by a fire while working under his White Steam Car. He is very off hand about this and he has new smooth skin on his face!"

Sir, which part of this explanation did you miss???? 

• Thanks 1