'Air filter for a '63 w/ a 401 - update

JanZverina

This just in from Rock Auto regarding my order through Amazon. Does anyone know of another source to find this air filter?

1963 BUICK RIVIERA 6.6L 401cid V8
Fuel & Air : Air Filter
WIX Part # 42092
We are sorry to tell you that this part is still out of stock. We have also checked our catalog and determined that there are no alternative parts available. If you are still interested in receiving notifications on this part, please visit the link below and click 'Notify Me When Available'.
WIX Part # 42092: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/?carcode=1319598&parttype=6192&a=avl360142c1319598
RockAuto, LLC
Madison, WI

Any leads appreciated!

• Like 1

I just put "wix 42092" into Google and found many sources, including O'Reilly Auto Parts and NAPA.  Both of which have online ordering if there is not a store near where you are.  One listing allegedly had crosses into other brands.  Key things are the element's outside diameter, inside diameter, and height.

FWIW,

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

18 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

I just put "wix 42092" into Google and found many sources, including O'Reilly Auto Parts and NAPA.  Both of which have online ordering if there is not a store near where you are.  One listing allegedly had crosses into other brands.  Key things are the element's outside diameter, inside diameter, and height.

FWIW,

NTX5467

The key thing with these filters is the lip.  The lip goes over the rim of the base and provides a surface for the lid to rest on.  Without the lip, there is a gap around the diameter of the  lid.  A different filter may fit, but it won't function properly.  On the Wix site there is also crossover reference to applications for Cadillac and Oldsmobile.  Is there a chance one of those clubs has a hoard of these?

The other Post "Are ‘65 and ‘66 air cleaners the same?" shows an NOS AC Air Filter element. No P/N and can't tell if it has the upper lip.

The pancake Air Cleaners do require the upper lip. My concern too when looking for a replacement element.

Still looking.

Just ordered 2 from oldbuickparts.com.  I called them up to be sure that they had the wider lip on the top.  I asked them what brand it was and they told me that they have it made for themselves.  They are about $32 each plus shipping.

I've been waiting for napa or wix to get them back in stock for over a year.

I made it a mission today to find some, so I thought I would share my luck.

• Thanks 2

Well, I should have waited till I got them to post.

Not sure what these are for, but they won’t fit.

They sent me a recall tag and are going to try and get the right ones.

The picture shows my old one along with the new one.

Hopefully they have the right ones.

Sorry for any trouble this may have caused for any of you guys.

FB29190F-B3F0-47BC-B12C-C34C20F498EE.jpeg

• 3 months later...
On 6/7/2023 at 3:47 PM, BulldogDriver said:

I’ve placed a request from Wix as to the status of these filters. Been waiting almost a year for 2 from Summit Racing. Will post when I hear from them.

Ray

You won’t hear from Wix the phone is disconnected.

Turbinator

5 hours ago, BulldogDriver said:

I’ve already had  correspondence with Wix and will work through that next week. Will update when I have something positive to give

All good news. The Wix products I used were good and would use them again if I could get them. I sent an email to Mann+Hummler and got a stock response saying nothing. Hopefully, you’ll get some traction with the folks who can supply the items you want. Thank you for follow up. Seems a shame you’ve got to work so hard to get someone to sell you filters.

Turbinator

Gents-To make the drill down short Mann+Hummel makes wix filters. What Wix Air Filter I could find for the 63 Riviera is out of stock. eBay has a number of Wix Air filters that may or may not interchange. I saw one filter that listed the Wix air filter would fit the 64 Buick Riviera.. The company Affinia owns the Brand Wix while Mann+Hummel make Wix filters. Mann+Hummel is a German company, but where the filters are made could very well be in Germany. It seems to me Affinia contracts with Mann+Hummel to make a filter with the Wix name on the product. One would hope the quality is as good as it was when the air filters were easier to get. In the absence of minimum specific specifications to act as a guide how and what the air filters were made I'm not sure how you would know if what Mann+Hummel makes a good Wix air filter. 

Bulldog, if your connection with the manufacturer indicates they will make the air filter for the Rivieras we need you deserve a 5 star rating.

Later Gator

Turbinator

On 6/10/2023 at 3:09 PM, BulldogDriver said:

I’ve already had  correspondence with Wix and will work through that next week. Will update when I have something positive to give.

I sent an e-mail (not Contact-Us placebo) to K&N Tech Support since they claim they do Custom filter elements.

E-mail included specs and P/Ns for the '63 - 66 pancake airfilters.

That was about a week ago and no response thus far. Highly unlikely anything will come of it.

2 hours ago, gungeey said:

It might just be a matter of buying the correct size paper element from the local auto parts store and reusing/gluing the old rubber lip from the top.

I thought of that too. Freeze the upper Lip and cut/machine like foam? A carpenter saw? Hmmm

I have only the 1 filter element and its not far gone enough to hack apart. Will want to do it to a dirty element.

45 minutes ago, XframeFX said:

I thought of that too. Freeze the upper Lip and cut/machine like foam? A carpenter saw? Hmmm

I have only the 1 filter element and its not far gone enough to hack apart. Will want to do it to a dirty element.

I have a lifetime supply.  Just trying to help those without. I think a razor knife would do it

Ok I got a reply from the Retailer I’ve been working with. They told me that their Distributor has not been able to get anything from Wix for awhile. The Retailer is working on a solution for this but was upfront and said it could be several months before they have a new supplier. I would think this might have something to due with the purchase of Wix by the German group as referenced by Turbinator.

I will post an update when I get something.

Ray

On 6/12/2023 at 7:24 PM, XframeFX said:

Highly unlikely anything will come of it.

Yep, a dead-end.

K&N did reply. I knew of their P/N: E1910 for years. It didn't have the wider upper Lip. So, that element was never an option. Otherwise, I, among many, would've purchased it.

Reply:

"Thank you for your email. The cross reference for a A85C and CA178PL was a E-1910. This filter has been discontinued since 2/9/2021. We did offer a custom air filter program a while back but since than the machines that were used to do this were moved from California to Texas and a lot of the molds were not transported along with the machine. At this time we do not offer a replacement filter. I apologize about the inconvenience."

Thank you, 

K&N Tech Support

12 hours ago, XframeFX said:

...a lot of the molds were not transported along with the machine.

The ROI calculation: (Expected Unit Sales) x (Profit per Unit)/(Mold Shipping Cost - CA to TX) < 1.0

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2023 at 7:16 PM, XframeFX said:

Yep, a dead-end.

K&N did reply. I knew of their P/N: E1910 for years. It didn't have the wider upper Lip. So, that element was never an option. Otherwise, I, among many, would've purchased it.

Reply:

"Thank you for your email. The cross reference for a A85C and CA178PL was a E-1910. This filter has been discontinued since 2/9/2021. We did offer a custom air filter program a while back but since than the machines that were used to do this were moved from California to Texas and a lot of the molds were not transported along with the machine. At this time we do not offer a replacement filter. I apologize about the inconvenience."

Thank you, 

K&N Tech Support

John, here are the physical specs for Wix air filter 42902 for 63 Riviera.

Part Number: 42092
UPC Number: 765809420922
Style: Air Filter
Service: Air
Type:  
Media: Cellulose
Height: 2.92, (74)*
Outer Diameter Top: 17.062, (433)*
Outer Diameter Bottom: 16.16, (410)*
Ends: Plastic
CFM: 300

Gasket Diameters: 

Number O.D. I.D. Thk.

Principal Application: 

Buick (63-66), Cadillac (59-60), Olds (59-60)

Part Number:42092

UPC Number:765809420922

Style:Air Filter

Service:Air

Type:

Media:Cellulose

Height:2.92, (74)*

Outer Diameter Top:17.062, (433)*

Outer Diameter Bottom:16.16, (410)*

Ends:Plastic

CFM:300

Gasket Diameters: 

NumberO.D.I.D.Thk.

Principal Application: 

Part Number: 42092
UPC Number: 765809420922
Style: Air Filter
Service: Air
Type:  
Media: Cellulose
Height: 2.92, (74)*
Outer Diameter Top: 17.062, (433)*
Outer Diameter Bottom: 16.16, (410)*
Ends: Plastic
CFM: 300

Gasket Diameters: 

Number O.D. I.D. Thk.

Principal Application: