'Air filter for a '63 w/ a 401 - update

JanZverina

IMG_1377.jpeg.54850473211664b1aeaa771c750b3b23.jpegMy Amazon 16” x 3” filter with the gap closed 

IMG_1378.jpeg.3e59bc88281e160ea7c9f2bc337ab3e8.jpegAmazon 16” x 3” filter with lip

IMG_1379.jpeg.5149c9bfe21f3e09e3d6f6ae29c4e17b.jpeg

The lip. Cut from a 1/8” piece of rubber floor runner from Home Depot.  I’m sure that cutting the lip can be fine tuned. I did this with a pair Fiskar scissors I have hanging on my peg board tool rack.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Now an entrepreneur just needs to fabricate a jig to cut nice concentric circular rings and punch-out a few dozen in their garage over the winter!  ;)

"Turbinator...  Turbinator...  Turbinator...  Turbinator..."

image.jpeg.d8500acc680aca40ff0fa467613b7a59.jpeg

Ed,

If you have the time could you post the measured height of the new filter and maybe a photo of the old and new filter together. My concern is height.

Because of me using an Edelbrock carb and a TPS mounted to the carb, I had to go a little higher with the mounting of the air cleaner. If I remember correctly the Edelbrock is not as tall as an original Rochester so I think it was still close to the height of a Carter AFB.

My measurement of a WIX 42092 was 2 15/16” when I compress the lip down with a flat bar. Your photos seem to show the new filter being a bit higher than an original filter, my lid sits tightly to the body with the filter installed loose with no gap between the 3 parts.

Ray

No “tape measure” measurements, but this picture should alleviate any anxieties that you may have.  The Red 1963 breather has the new 16” x 3” filter with the 1/8” inch lip; theBlack 1963 breather has an original 63/64 filter in it.

IMG_1382.jpeg.49c2e082ffe12747e4e4bc3e281f0066.jpeg

The bubble is centered

IMG_1383.jpeg.8f20ebf1b7d0d2ea045cd76605d76f78.jpeg 

Ed

• Like 2

On 9/6/2023 at 9:19 AM, EmTee said:

Now an entrepreneur just needs to fabricate a jig to cut nice concentric circular rings and punch-out a few dozen in their garage over the winter!  ;)

"Turbinator...  Turbinator...  Turbinator...  Turbinator..."

image.jpeg.d8500acc680aca40ff0fa467613b7a59.jpeg

Turbinator, is waiting on delivery now.

later gator

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2023 at 6:40 AM, Turbinator said:

Turbinator, is waiting on delivery now.

later gator

NapaGold 2092 Air Filter (Wix 42092)

Retail Price: $32.99

Your Price: $18.77

Filters per Case: 1

Save 10% for $125 order: $$16.90

Save 20% for $200 order: $15.02

Availability: On Factory Backorder

$18.77

PRODUCT DETAILS

Product Specifications

Part Number:42092

UPC Number:765809420922

Style:Air Filter

Service:Air

Type: 

Media:Cellulose

Height:2.92 (74)*

Outer Diameter Top:17.062 (433)*

Outer Diameter Bottom:16.16 (410)*

Inside Diameter:13.812 (351)*

Ends:Plastic

CFM:300

(  )* denotes metric

Gasket

• Thanks 1

From my conversations with the WIX people, when they say an item is on back order, that’s the same as saying it’s been discontinued until some firm places an order in the neighborhood of 10K, or enough to put at least one unit in every store in the chain.  How many NAPA, AutoZone, Advance Autos, O’Reilly’s are there in the country? You can bet there are more of these stores than there are cars on the road who can use them, even if every car owner bought two spares.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2023 at 6:12 AM, Turbinator said:
On 6/15/2023 at 8:08 AM, EmTee said:

The ROI calculation: (Expected Unit Sales) x (Profit per Unit)/(Mold Shipping Cost - CA to TX) 

The ROI calcunlation I use is get something people want and invest $1. Then sell the item for net profit of $10.

Economics lesson over. Please see my prototype of an air filter that fits the specifications for a 401.

IMG_1997.jpeg

On 10/22/2023 at 7:19 PM, BulldogDriver said:

Bob are you saying you have air filters being delivered to you now? Would like to know so I can get a couple before they go to back order again.

Ray

Ray, I had a prototype delivered mid November. I was out of town for a month. I was a bit too hopeful thinking Id buy a wholesale amount. I settled for a prototype and it looks good. The MOQ is high for my risk/reward tolerance. Ive twisted the numbers every which way and Im afraid my brand of arithmetic just will not show a worthwhile investment.

im thinking many would rather blow out the existing filter and continue use as opposed to buying new. There is no status nor sense in over spending.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Turbinator

15 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Please see my prototype of an air filter that fits the specifications for a 401

I normally would have stocked-up on extra elements. But before they transitioned to forever back-order, they were BLACK. I was holding out for RED Elements like the current FRAM I have now.

Hind-sight is 20/20.

9 hours ago, Turbinator said:

The MOQ is high for my risk/reward tolerance.

What about pre-ordering?  What's the minimum order quantity?  Do you think you could reach that number if you took orders and set an order deadline?  What do you think the 'sell price' range would be based on meeting the minimum order?

I seriously doubt that Wix could care less about a one off order for these filters. First thing is they are a foreign entity now, and have no vested interest in our hobby. I had a talk with one of Summit Racing’s buyer about a year ago and it was relayed to me that they had difficulty getting product from them. If they can’t get through to them, good luck being us. Damn shame as I just spent a small fortune modifying my cleaner to fit properly on an Edelbrock. 

Ray

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BulldogDriver said:

I just spent a small fortune modifying my cleaner to fit properly on an Edelbrock. 

I have a spare Red Crinkle Pancake Air Cleaner which I was going to follow your lead. No available elements, no sense now.

I would've thought K&N to come to our rescue but they tossed their molds. Bad timing all around. No more custom filters.

I still thank that my rubber ring will work both for efficiency and not be noticeable to 99% of the casual lookers.  I need to perfect a way of cutting them out. A free hand utility knife doesn’t quite cut it.  My biggest problem is finding something with which I can draw a fine line on black rubber. No pens, pencils, markers, or anything else works.  Chalk shows up but chalk doesn’t make a thin enough line to follow.

12 hours ago, RivNut said:

My biggest problem is finding something with which I can draw a fine line on black rubber.

Ed, good day.

You’re certainly on the right track, I would’ve thought marking the lines to be the easy part. Although I only needed to cut straight lines, a silver sharpie worked perfect on 1/8 rubber.

in terms of cutting the circle, the attached compass cutter is under $20 but only does 16” diameter, which may be a tad smaller for the outer cut, but I think it would be relatively easy to make a similar tool using a nail, a length of 1x2 board and then screw the blade to the end of the board… Sorry, no image for that but if you google “circle gasket cutter” you’ll see similar tools that I’m sure one could “MacGyver” something together…

Keep us posted if you find something that works…

EDIT: For what it’s worth, soapy water is a good lubricant when cutting rubber.

Later,

IMG_3311.jpeg

IMG_3310.jpeg

Edited by MikeJS (see edit history)

1 hour ago, MikeJS said:

Ed, good day.

You’re certainly on the right track, I would’ve thought marking the lines to be the easy part. Although I only needed to cut straight lines, a silver sharpie worked perfect on 1/8 rubber.

in terms of cutting the circle, the attached compass cutter is under $20 but only does 16” diameter, which may be a tad smaller for the outer cut, but I think it would be relatively easy to make a similar tool using a nail, a length of 1x2 board and then screw the blade to the end of the board… Sorry, no image for that but if you google “circle gasket cutter” you’ll see similar tools that I’m sure one could “MacGyver” something together…

Keep us posted if you find something that works…

EDIT: For what it’s worth, soapy water is a good lubricant when cutting rubber.

Later,

IMG_3311.jpeg

IMG_3310.jpeg

Thanks, I’ll get a silver marker and give it a shot.  Not sure about the cutter unless I was going to to a mass production.

15 hours ago, XframeFX said:

I have a spare Red Crinkle Pancake Air Cleaner which I was going to follow your lead. No available elements, no sense now.

I would've thought K&N to come to our rescue but they tossed their molds. Bad timing all around. No more custom filters.

You can still use the original cleaner with one of the after market 3” high filters. The lid will seal properly to protect the qcarburetor but you will be sucking unfiltered air from the snorkel and around the lid and body which would give you better air flow. 

I’ve one spare filter and will get one of the 3” aftermarket ones. 

Ray

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2023 at 12:44 PM, BulldogDriver said:

You can still use the original cleaner with one of the after market 3” high filters. The lid will seal properly to protect the qcarburetor but you will be sucking unfiltered air from the snorkel and around the lid and body which would give you better air flow. 

I’ve one spare filter and will get one of the 3” aftermarket ones. 

Ray

All the air will go through the filter. Some through the snorkel as well, as through the gap around the between the walls of the base and the top of the filter.

Willis- this popped up. I cut holes for many home projects. I saw ( pun) this as a catch all.

2”-20” hole cutters SKU 1891192 Hilnor tools at Supply House

( have not purchased yet)

Description

Cutting holes in sheet metal just got a whole lot easier. These two tools allow you to bring some power to what was previously a manual job, whether you use the smaller Hole Cutter for 2” to 12” holes or the larger Hole Cutter for 2” to 20” holes. Looks like sheet metal has met its match.

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Turbinator said:

I bought it. I have some holes to cut, but not for air filters. Looks like a good design and well made. Probably not as good as the the tried and true string with a pencil on one end and center point on the other for the radius.

Turbinator

I've used one of those tools many, many times while installing duct work for heating and air conditioning. Be careful on the hole adjustment to get a correct size. Also need to be cautious as you finish the last 2-3 inches of the cut as it is easy to make the hole out of round because you are pivoting on a center point that is slowly going to move. Practice makes perfect. 

Loren@65GS.com

Edited by Loren@65GS.com (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Loren@65GS.com said:

Practice makes perfect

Loren, I appreciate you taking the time  to help out on the learning curve. My time in high school French class could have been better spent in shop class.

My shop class now is learn by my mistakes. But, your input cut down on my mistakes.

Thank you again.

Turbinator