Dietrich Individual Customs - 32/33/34

packard12man

Not a buyer - Not a seller - Just a fan - Recently I stumbled across this interesting Dietrich story on the net that was posted by John Harley (who I would thank if I could find him).   Great story - peaked my interest and thought to myself there has to be all kinds more from days gone by.   Story attached below

1356254875_ScreenShot2020-11-28at9_58_18AM.png.06624dec267e44254ebd7523560c2f0e.png611977278_ScreenShot2020-11-28at9_59_12AM.png.6427b539c84a86ba30b4875cadea75a5.png

A lot of the gentlemen that restored or collected these cars back in the day are no longer with us.  As time goes by interesting tales like this get lost.  I have always been fascinated by the trip through time and the stories along the way. 

Wonder if there are any old timers out there like myself that would have tales and photos going back to the 50's, 60's and 70's when these gems where being shown at various shows.  ie Grand Classics, Caravans and AACA events - or restoration photos.   It's great to follow the history of these cars  - Where it sold new, who owned it along the way, who restored it?  Thought I would include some names from the past that either owned or restored multiple Dietrich's.  John Wheatley, Don DiMichele, Ken Wessel, Jack Passey, Harold Crosby, Richard Paine, Steve Gunder and Marvin Colver (customs by Beaver) to name a few.    The only time you see photos of these cars today is when one it being sold by one of the large auction houses.  

Wouldn't it be fun to learn how they when from here to here to here

1981836965_ScreenShot2019-03-16at1_25_44PM.png.0dacf9eca12e4ef6eed3a2f3021cf5ef.png1558140548_1005Dietrichside.jpg.d7947cbf47fbfa8d504ccbb9e7349db6.jpg1194839711_ScreenShot2023-01-05at1_14_59PM.png.d1bca0107505dda580480930667ca524.png

Hope this post inspires a few to dig out an old story or photo from the past. 

I go on the Forum every day and find it very informative and entertaining.  Have been a member of the CCCA for over 40 years and this morning I took Walt's advise and got off my fanny and joined the AACA.  

Brian 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Brian, thanks for reading what I said and joining AACA. WOW, the first time for 2023 - someone actually took my advice - that hasn't happened for years - er decades er ...........

Brian - I really liked the photos and story about the Packard and people you mention - wonderful. thanks for sharing this with all of us.

Walt

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, packard12man said:

Not a buyer - Not a seller - Just a fan - Recently I stumbled across this interesting Dietrich story on the net that was posted by John Harley (who I would thank if I could find him).   Great story - peaked my interest and thought to myself there has to be all kinds more from days gone by.   Story attached below

1356254875_ScreenShot2020-11-28at9_58_18AM.png.06624dec267e44254ebd7523560c2f0e.png611977278_ScreenShot2020-11-28at9_59_12AM.png.6427b539c84a86ba30b4875cadea75a5.png

A lot of the gentlemen that restored or collected these cars back in the day are no longer with us.  As time goes by interesting tales like this get lost.  I have always been fascinated by the trip through time and the stories along the way. 

Wonder if there are any old timers out there like myself that would have tales and photos going back to the 50's, 60's and 70's when these gems where being shown at various shows.  ie Grand Classics, Caravans and AACA events - or restoration photos.   It's great to follow the history of these cars  - Where it sold new, who owned it along the way, who restored it?  Thought I would include some names from the past that either owned or restored multiple Dietrich's.  John Wheatley, Don DiMichele, Ken Wessel, Jack Passey, Harold Crosby, Richard Paine, Steve Gunder and Marvin Colver (customs by Beaver) to name a few.    The only time you see photos of these cars today is when one it being sold by one of the large auction houses.  

Wouldn't it be fun to learn how they when from here to here to here

1981836965_ScreenShot2019-03-16at1_25_44PM.png.0dacf9eca12e4ef6eed3a2f3021cf5ef.png1558140548_1005Dietrichside.jpg.d7947cbf47fbfa8d504ccbb9e7349db6.jpg1194839711_ScreenShot2023-01-05at1_14_59PM.png.d1bca0107505dda580480930667ca524.png

Hope this post inspires a few to dig out an old story or photo from the past. 

I go on the Forum every day and find it very informative and entertaining.  Have been a member of the CCCA for over 40 years and this morning I took Walt's advise and got off my fanny and joined the AACA.  

Brian 

John Mozart's car?

• Like 1

History, some preserve it, too many destroy it. 

Go to a used car lot (at least in the old days) and just TRY to find out any history on the car being offered. The dealer will insinuate that nobody has ever owned it before and it's ownership history starts with you. Or the old lady drove it only on Sunday story.  

In the 80s I was looking at a motohome on a lot. It was more tired and worn than its age would suggest. Being the car person I am I dug into all the cubby holes and found the papers saying it was a rental unit from several states away.  I told the salesman and he was shocked(!) How did you know?  I passed.

The used car tradition has been to wipe the slate clean with every sale. Sadly that line of thinking has pervaded the old car hobby from when our collector cars passed from something used into something cherished.   Collector car auctions well into the 70s saw the auction staff make up the most ridiculous tales. Anything but the truth, to get the car sold. 

Today the word provenance is entering the old car world (finally!) "The car offered here today was bought by, John, sold to Jim who restored it and sold to Rodger, who showed it and sold it to Dave. Where will we start the bidding?"  Certainly not always 100% true and certainly not always revealed but the hobby is getting a little better.  There are reasons to hide ownership and reasons some folks might want to remain anonymous. (Capital gains taxes?) But on really historical cars, the chain of ownership can be important. 

And as you describe, even if a list of prior owners names isnt of value, THE STORIES surrounding the car are fascinating. 

Museums and the art world dont always hide the histories but they dont always promote it either.

I was at an art museum. Some rare classical Dutch painting of the head of a man. The guide went on about the use of colors and shadows and the style of the picture. (boring!) Until he said that this painting of the head of a man was originally done as a wedding picture (the groom) and the head of the bride was in a museum in Amsterdam. . . . . 

Now THAT brought the painting alive! I was emotionally drawn to it and saddened that hundreds of years later this wedding couple had been separated. It made the painting real. 

The Rosetta stone. . . Yeah you all know the story of how it taught us how to translate Egyptian hieroglyphics. BUT do you know the story of how it almost became used by Napoleon as rubble to strengthen a fort, to being in the British museum? A tale almost as interesting as its translation value.

So yeah, history. Some people value it and some dont. BUT if our hobby begins to  put an economic value on history and those well documented cars with interesting stories sold for more money, then you would see more stories preserved. 

What is a well preserved history worth?

• Like 2

The word you were likely looking for near the end of the first line was 'piqued'. You wouldn't have wanted your interest to peak, you would rather it remained.

I know pique is not commonly used and from a look at its meaning it may not actually be the correct term to use in the circumstance, but I have used it there myself.

Pique Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

Maybe we should use arouse or one of its synonyms instead?

22 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

The word you were likely looking for near the end of the first line was 'piqued'. You wouldn't have wanted your interest to peak, you would rather it remained.

I know pique is not commonly used and from a look at its meaning it may not actually be the correct term to use in the circumstance, but I have used it there myself.

Pique Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

Maybe we should use arouse or one of its synonyms instead?

I will bring this to my secretary (wifes) attention. I guess a reduction in her wage may be necessary.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Here's Ken Wessel's car in 1996 at a CCCA Grand Classic at Western Reserve Academy in Ohio:

375419919_1996WRAGC_0037.jpeg.ed1dc93bc7d7aaf0d4f2ab0ed7d90762.jpeg

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Here's Ken Wessel's car in 1996 at a CCCA Grand Classic at Western Reserve Academy in Ohio:

Thanks Matt for the photo. I’m pretty sure this car was the 1934 NewYork Autoshow car.   Resides in a huge collection on the west coast.  Chances of ever seeing it publicly are slim. 

• Like 1

Mr. Thiel was a real gentleman and I enjoyed my visit with him. I thought I had a real shot at buying the car but he died a month later and you know the rest of the story, Here are some photos taken with the early version of a digital camera, the Sony Mavica, so hence the poor quality. Time goes by so quickly... seems like a few months ago.

MVC-003S.JPG

MVC-004S.JPG

MVC-012S.JPG

s-l1600[5].jpg

MVC-001S.JPG

MVC-023S.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

The car that is the subject of this thread found in the garage in New Jersey, runs and drives well……..and was being serviced by yours truly today. It’s a pleasure to drive. It was purchased new for the wife of the general contractor who built The Empire State Building. The warranty card and oil change coupon book are still in the glove box.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 10

I crossed paths with a 1933 12  coupe roadster, early 1980s in Alexandria, Louisiana.  Beautiful original car but front bumper and grill had some rust due to weather and marginal storage.

I tried to buy it, couldn’t make a deal, car ended up being bought by a dealer, James Cogdell of Little Rock, Arkansas.  He still owes me the promise$ fider fee!  It was then sold to a doctor in that city.

If anyone has an idea where car is now would just like to know, I could have afforded it then, not now!

• Like 1

Alan, every Individual Custom Dietrich Packard thread needs a little class…….here’s a photo of my “other P” car in front of the same hotel, on the same tour. 😎👍

F8B827B3-D476-4B25-BF91-F54856533FA7.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Packard 12

Thank you for the kindness of forwarding my post. You have smoked me out, and I have joined this forum after following it closely for the last three years or so.  I gather one is supposed to introduce oneself in the first post, I hope this suffices.

V16, thank you very much for posting the pictures of Earl !  I did not see him for several years before he passed. It is also good to see the car again.

I was born in western Ohio and lived next door to the parents of Byron Klepinger, whose name might ring some bells. He brought his old cars by regularly and I was hooked by about the time I could talk. Later we moved to the north side of Indianapolis; I grew up there during the transition of the Indy cars from roadsters to the rear engine cars.

To prove how warped I am, the  first two auto  I owned were Citroen DS series. I cut my teeth working on cars with them and got to be capable of diagnosing the hydraulics.

The car pictured is my current Packard . It was owned at one time by the poster here known as Owen Dyneto. He is a good friend and lives close enough  to be considered a neighbor. The owner history is documented but I am dealing with dealing with the wages of owning  of a heavily used car.

I served two terms as president of the late lamented Eastern Packard Club and was involved in the Packard Centennial and the 2003 Packard Transcontinental Centennial . 

Best Wishes and Happy New Year

John Harley

Edited by jhh2206
poor typing (see edit history)
  • Like 9

While we are on the subject of Individual Custom Dietrich Packards…….we are now down to only “one missing” car. Had a sniff at it about five years ago……anyone know where the missing split windshield 1108 is? I’m guessing it’s parked next to the V-16 Aerodynamic Coupe?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, packard12man said:

I will bring this to my secretary (wifes) attention. I guess a reduction in her wage may be necessary.  

Grammar snobs can be amuzing, caan they knot? 

Don't mind him, he isn't on his medication lately so he finds things to "pique" apart. ;) 

Great of you to share your take on this as we couldn't agree more. Now John has been sniffed out (as he called it) and with V16's input we now have a face to put to the story. 

Truly incredible thread and stories. 

Thank you!

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, m-mman said:

History, some preserve it, too many destroy it. 

Go to a used car lot (at least in the old days) and just TRY to find out any history on the car being offered. The dealer will insinuate that nobody has ever owned it before and it's ownership history starts with you. Or the old lady drove it only on Sunday story.  

So yeah, history. Some people value it and some dont. BUT if our hobby begins to  put an economic value on history and those well documented cars with interesting stories sold for more money, then you would see more stories preserved. 

What is a well preserved history worth?

It is worse now with all the "Privacy Act" laws in effect.  At one time you could walk into a dealership, licensing agency, etc., with the serial number and they would pass along the information about previous owners.    Years ago, when one purchased a Commission/Build Sheet for a vintage Jaguar from their Heritage Department, the original owner's name and address and registration number would appear on the original documents.  Since the early 2000's or so, that information is withheld from anyone now requesting those documents because of these silly privacy laws.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Allen,  my favorite hotel.  I hope you stayed there.

You gotta hang with me if that's your favorite hotel........It's nice.........but you need to live a little.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Matt, thanks for the photo.  Here's a shot of this car under restoration in the late Dale Adams shop (not my photo).  

1934dietrich1.jpg.86e42ce3aa25c48b9b933b183ee211ef.jpg

Ken also owned this conv Sedan.  Serial number 1108 56.  Ive totally lost track of this car.

img0451.jpg.7590d5557c18233282b890f656b77130.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, jhh2206 said:

Packard 12

Thank you for the kindness of forwarding my post. You have smoked me out, and I have joined this forum after following it closely for the last three years or so.  I gather one is supposed to introduce oneself in the first post, I hope this suffices.

V16, thank you very much for posting the pictures of Earl !  I did not see him for several years before he passed. It is also good to see the car again.

I was born in western Ohio and lived next door to the parents of Byron Klepinger, whose name might ring some bells. He brought his old cars by regularly and I was hooked by about the time I could talk. Later we moved to the north side of Indianapolis; I grew up there during the transition of the Indy cars from roadsters to the rear engine cars.

To prove how warped I am, the  first two auto  I owned were Citroen DS series. I cut my teeth working on cars with them and got to be capable of diagnosing the hydraulics.

The car pictured is my current Packard . It was owned at one time by the poster here known as Owen Dyneto. He is a good friend and lives close enough  to be considered a neighbor. The owner history is documented but I am dealing with dealing with the wages of owning  of a heavily used car.

I served two terms as president of the late lamented Eastern Packard Club and was involved in the Packard Centennial and the 2003 Packard Transcontinental Centennial . 

Best Wishes and Happy New Year

John Harley

John, thanks for getting me started.  And many thanks to V16 for the great photos.  Here are a few more photos from Thiel's garage taken by a good friend of mine Tom Kirn (who has now passed and is greatly missed).  Tom travelled around the USA and spoke to the four owners of the Dietrich Stationary Coupes in the mid 60's.  He had such a passion that he constructed a 1/15th scale model from the ground up.  Took him years to complete.

DSCF2358a.jpg.5b3e9cb6ecef288602b80e130be757de.jpgg.jpg.461d95cee4dd18ea11022bb2a6fe8e4e.jpg100_0881.JPG.8d5d7b20742962add99c32d555620b2d.JPGDSCF1739.jpg.adece600c8d44fc7ca273e1e02b33b82.jpgDSCF1711.JPG.e5c64a2557e9ec607e492bd22ab504a7.JPGDSCF1746.JPG.8918d121a8cefeb45498f22186cde647.JPGIMG_3263.jpg.a683cc3275711d5e969e734799eb7f98.jpgIMG_3264.jpg.c9429905ea107c14b6c2d8e005cd1bf8.jpg

• Like 5

18 hours ago, edinmass said:

While we are on the subject of Individual Custom Dietrich Packards…….we are now down to only “one missing” car. Had a sniff at it about five years ago……anyone know where the missing split windshield 1108 is? I’m guessing it’s parked next to the V-16 Aerodynamic Coupe?

Ed:

Is it the Maybelline sport sedan?

Steve

'34 Packard Twelve 1108 Dietrich sport sedan - Maybelline a.jpg

• Like 3

Packard 12

Thanks for those pictures !  That is how I remember the car. It was closest to the door to the house, but at furthest point from the garage door to the outside. There were 5 or 6 non running cars between it and the garage door. The car guarding the garage door was a bathtub Packard rusted to the point of needing ropes to hold it together. He had also acquired a very original LaSalle coupe about 1928 that I remember as also  blocking the way. It was attractive in a two tone teal color scheme. It had been stored for decades in a barn with roof leak directly above it. I'm sure every metal part was rusted to its adjoining part and part and the wood was completely shot. It appeared here on a for sale forum in the last 18 months or so but my discretion stopped me from commenting on it . Earl also barn a 1929 Pierce Arrow coupe and skeletal remnants of a early 20's Buick . The Pierce might have been in better condition than the Packard.

Thanks also pictures of the dog and his wife. There were a few other relatives living there when I knew him but Earl had a calm demeanor and high entropy levels he took as a matter of course.

I saw a  superb 1108 sedan  as pictured above at a local Christmas party two weeks ago. I was informed buy some who knows that it was a known car, so I guess it is not one people are looking for.

Best

John Harley

Edited by jhh2206
clarification (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The missing car is open, and a V-12.

The Maybelline car is long gone. It has the chrome belt line………only one other car has it also. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here is a factory photo of a 1933 Dietrich Sport Sedan.  In my 40 years of searching, it is the only photo of a 33 that I have ever seen.  This gets me thinking - Could this have been converted into the Car of the Dome by the Factory for the Worlds Fair??? The Car of the Dome started life as a 33 and then was updated to 34 specs and sold.  After all these years who the hell would know anyways???  And in reality - Why do I care!!!!650265507_ScreenShot2014-02-01at10_15_07AM.png.9d5c4fc746b260422612dd12701d5004.png

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Ed:

Model year? Which open style?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Steve

Send payment in cash………it’s a fantastic car that a friend is sniffing at………..the 33 that’s all original……..I was trying my best, but details that are not public ment that there was no way to land the car. In the end, we managed a MUCH better car in the same area. Can’t show photos of that one either. 

Sport Sedan Dietrich’s are the hardest of the impossible cars to land. With only three known, they are the ultimate big boy toy in the sedan class. One is in the north east, another is on the west coast, and the last car? Well it’s hiding right now. Only about five people know it’s current location. 🤔

• Like 2

1 minute ago, West Peterson said:

I tend to agree with you... BUT, the lines of that car are so beautiful, I tend to look past the color.

Perfection can not be insulted………pond skim green was a true crime. It’s a fantastic car that I was fortunate to drive for 400 miles one week about 8 years ago. Words can’t describe the pleasure of driving an automotive masterpiece. As a Pierce guy, it was truly humbling. There are no words to describe that automobile. It truly is a mechanic pleasure to drive down the road.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

I think your initial statement was that there was one individual custom missing. I don't recall that you were specific about 1933. 

All those terrible things my mother says about me are true………

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Perfection can not be insulted………pond skim green was a true crime. It’s a fantastic car that I was fortunate to drive for 400 miles one week about 8 years ago. Words can’t describe the pleasure of driving an automotive masterpiece. As a Pierce guy, it was truly humbling. There are no words to describe that automobile. It truly is a mechanic pleasure to drive down the road.

Chris knows what he's doing. Not just a guy who makes them pretty. I also tend to ignore ugly if something drives so wonderfully.

Ed:

The chartreuse Sport Sedan was indeed obscene.  I recall encountering on the Hershey show field in the 1990's, still can't unsee it!   One truly had to negate one's color senses, see only the magnificence of the design...like this.

Steve 

'34 Packard Twelve 1108 Dietrich sport sedan - grayscale.png

Edited by 58L-Y8
addendum comments (see edit history)
  • Like 2