Dietrich Individual Customs - 32/33/34

packard12man

1 minute ago, V16 said:

Here is the car that Bayard traded in, sold to acquire Blueboy, A 1932 Packard 902 Phaeton.IMG_0232.jpg.472baa2e1dba206d75d4c2427006f4ab.jpg  That is a young Bayard standing next to the car.

that is one heck of a trade up these days!! 

• Like 2

On 2/18/2024 at 9:37 PM, Matt Goist said:

I really do enjoy this thread, its turning into somewhat of a timeline for these amazing Individual Customs. I thought you all may enjoy a few photos of the 1006 Dietrich Coupe we have here. I just finished some major repairs and refurbishments on it.

I had the hood off during the repairs, testing and torquing period for the head studs. We almost left it off 😆 This car needed some very invasive engine work due to sitting....DRIVE YOUR CARS!! 🙂 Catch it in Miami at the MODA Concours on March 2nd and 3rd! 1006Coupe4.jpg.6892bf6be488925f083419dd72769eda.jpg1006Coupe2.jpg.15be7541c44a8160ba717ead67eeb6fe.jpg1006Coupe1.jpg.cd7bf1fd65654109e99cfc1515fdfc02.jpg

Nice to see it without the trunk on it. Nothing spoils the lines of a prewar car as much as a trunk on the luggage rack. Good for touring, but when you get home, unpack and put the trunk away.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Nice to see it without the trunk on it. Nothing spoils the lines of a prewar car as much as a trunk on the luggage rack. Good for touring, but when you get home, unpack and put the trunk away.

Amen!   I often forget the accessory trunk when I go on a pilot ray, white wall diatribe.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, V16 said:

Here is the car after an accident in December of 1949. I believe this car is in the Collier collection today. If for some reason they think the car is now devalued because it was in a serious wreck I would like them to know that I will be pleased to take it off their hands for a greatly reduced amount.

IMG_0228.jpg

Doesn't look nearly as bad of a wreck as what happened to the convertible sedan that sold at Pebble last year. In that case, the accident greatly affected the value of the car. That said, the phaeton is soooo much more rare than the convertible sedan, and this one not needing much more than a fender and possibly a little suspension work, it's value is probably not affected at all.

Trunk or no trunk? I think it depends upon the body style. On a 2 door conv coupe, coupe, roadster, victoria coupe with a rear deck area similar to a coupe  I can agree that the trunk does not let the lines /style of the car flow . BUT if you have a touring car , especially a 7 passenger or a big sedan ( 4 door 6 window ) I think a trunk works well in the overall appearance.  The trunk color will affect the appearance - light color on the car , then appropriate color of the trunk or cover on the trunk to work as an entire visual unit.  In regard to white wall tires and pilot ray lights. I like white wall tires on darker colored cars , black walls on most European cars and especially cars with some racing /sporty heritage.  I think a single pilot ray light looks well depending upon if the car has dual trumpet horns, stone guard etc. more is not better. Dual pilot rays I do not care for. Chrome plated wheels are something I do not favor . Decades ago I had conversations with Rudy Creteur of Rollson/Rollston company about the above. Most interesting to hear the comments of someone who was "there" , "then" . With my art background and car interests of the pre war era I have had some great conversations with designers of that era in person when they were alive . the same with engineers, draftsman etc who worked for the Franklin Company , all this taking place in the early 1970s in a relaxed atmosphere in a low key conversation.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, West Peterson said:

Doesn't look nearly as bad of a wreck as what happened to the convertible sedan that sold at Pebble last year. In that case, the accident greatly affected the value of the car. That said, the phaeton is soooo much more rare than the convertible sedan, and this one not needing much more than a fender and possibly a little suspension work, it's value is probably not affected at all.

It will have zero impact on the value of that car.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the series of personal recollections from Bayard Badenhousen published in The Classic Car are available in consolidated form?  They seem to have spanned a decade at least and were pretty interesting to read.

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Does anyone know if the series of personal recollections from Bayard Badenhousen published in The Classic Car are available in consolidated form?  They seem to have spanned a decade at least and were pretty interesting to read.

Steve, they are pretty easy to find with a search on the museum website.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2024 at 5:52 AM, alsancle said:

It will have zero impact on the value of that car.

While I agree with you, we may not know for quite some time what that car is worth! 

I suspect that the Collier/Cunningham car isn't going anywhere any time soon, and neither is the green(?) one in California. 

As for the Burgundy one, well...we are not selling it any time soon if I have any say in the matter! 

To my knowledge there were only three authentic 1006 Dietrich Sport Phaetons made. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Dietrich enthusiasts - Below is a link for a Dietrich for sale on "Bring a Trailer".  Superb photography, video and terrific read on the restoration.  Restoration costs are mind boggling and these bills are from 2010.  Prices have probably doubled since then.  Any opinions on the car and the final selling price??  

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1934-packard-1108-twelve-dietrich-individual-custom-convertible-sedan/

Edited by packard12man (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, packard12man said:

Dietrich enthusiasts - Below is a link for a Dietrich for sale on "Bring a Trailer".  Superb photography, video and terrific read on the restoration.  Restoration costs are mind boggling and these bills are from 2010.  Prices have probably doubled since then.  Any opinions on the car and the final selling price??  

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1934-packard-1108-twelve-dietrich-individual-custom-convertible-sedan/

Over $161K on labor on the one invoice alone!!  SOMEONE is doing well!!

Craig

We have this discussion all the time on the forum.  The cost of professional restoration is eye watering and has been for a long time.  This car was done at one of the best shops in the country so expect to pay accordingly.

I think it is too hard to value on BAT so I'm not even going to guess.  I would have advised the owner to sell it privately.

• Like 3

I have made over my quota of mistakes already this week, so I am fairly confident that this car was at the Packard Centennial. Its was very much the worse for wear. The owner was running the engine and balancing a quarter on it . Given the probable compromised compression it was running even smoother than normal. Mosquitoes may have suffocated.

It was restored by a proverbial "well known collector " not far  from me I had the privilege  of seeing it soon after.

I have driven two Packed Twelves.  Starting at the bottom of a hill in  third gear and accelerating up to the top is an experience to be remembered.  Perhaps it will get more exercise in the future.

John

On 3/28/2024 at 3:11 PM, jhh2206 said:

I have made over my quota of mistakes already this week, so I am fairly confident that this car was at the Packard Centennial. Its was very much the worse for wear. The owner was running the engine and balancing a quarter on it . Given the probable compromised compression it was running even smoother than normal. Mosquitoes may have suffocated.

It was restored by a proverbial "well known collector " not far  from me I had the privilege  of seeing it soon after.

I have driven two Packed Twelves.  Starting at the bottom of a hill in  third gear and accelerating up to the top is an experience to be remembered.  Perhaps it will get more exercise in the future.

John

Nope. Not the same car. It was NOT at the centennial. The one you are referring to is Ralph Marano's, and is the only convertible sedan with jump seats. Ralph purchased the car right after the centennial, and had it restored.

West

I stand corrected. I was deceived by the similar color. I am borrowing on my quota of mistakes for next week.

Best

John