Dietrich Individual Customs - 32/33/34

packard12man

Friends

I tend to prefer blackwalls in many instances but somehow whitewalls have an appropriate air on the Dietrich Packards . I was discussing these cars with my neighbor Owen Dyneto the other day and we agreed that the catalog renderings with the bail caps are more attractive many of the cars than the more elaborate ones. I certainly feel the plain cap helped the looks of Earl's car.

I took about 15 rolls of photos of the Packard Centennial ih Warren Ohio Iin 1999. I carefully arranged them in an album. I was able to remove them without damage and scan them. Here are some Ninth Series cars  in the Magnum Opus to start out with. I have always  been fond of the Ninth Series.

Green 32 Dietrich coupe.jpg

32 Dietrich Phaeton.jpg

Blue 32 Phaeton rev.jpg

Edited by jhh2206 (see edit history)
  • Like 8

17 hours ago, packard12man said:

.  scan0333.jpg.581e6a646a321ff9b3f74b223304a041.jpg

As does the Macauley Speedster, this prototype retains the 734 Speedster's "Custom by Packard" coachbuilder tag on the cowl, which has always led me to believe that the "LeBaron" Packards of 1934 were done in the same shop as the 1930-31 customs. While the tags would have been there from 1930, they certainly would have had to remove it during the modifications/re-painting, as they were developing the LeBaron cars that would come out for 1934. 

As Ed mentioned, perhaps the Steel Cities book clears this up. I was supposed to get one for review, but haven't gotten mine yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Since when do I look like Ed?

AJ if that’s the case you have either been hanging around him too long, have aged at least 10 years or been drinking too much of that swill he likes so much. 
dave s 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Since when do I look like Ed?

If you hit the billion dollar lotto.......you still wouldn't be half as attractive as I am..............Just saying.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

AJ if that’s the case you have either been hanging around him too long, have aged at least 10 years or been drinking too much of that swill he likes so much. 
dave s 

Dave.......your car broke down.......as soon as I am standing next to it............😎

• Haha 1

West I lived about five miles from Woodford Reserve and 15 miles from the distillery Blantons is made at in KY. Use to drive the 38 there and buy the bourbon directly. Putting it in the trunk the guys would always ask if I was running it across state lines and did I have the machine gun in the back window. My answer was no, I only did that with the home brew not the good stuff it was all for me. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

Must disagree on the second one.  There is no point to a convertible if the top isn't put down.

While I like convertibles, I hardly ever drive with the top down. I do not like the sun baking me, and the amount of noise created when the top is down bothers the heck out of me as well. I still experiences the open-air feeling while touring in a top-up phaeton or roadster. In addition, while showing the car, most look better (in my opinion) with the top up.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

While I like convertibles, I hardly ever drive with the top down. I do not like the sun baking me, and the amount of noise created when the top is down bothers the heck out of me as well. I still experiences the open-air feeling while touring in a top-up phaeton or roadster. In addition, while showing the car, most look better (in my opinion) with the top up.

I never put the top down on my cars for all the above reasons.

• Like 2

Set aside the value difference of open cars as antiques.  We all understand this.

But as a car to drive, if you don't put the roof down, a closed car is superior - lighter (convertibles require frame reinforcement), cheaper, more weather tight, quieter, no need to replace top periodically.  I've had 5 as daily drivers because I like the experience (We can peacefully differ), which is different from sunroof and windows/side curtains open, enough to put up with these disadvantages.  

When it comes to Individual Custom Dietrich's closed cars are often more money than the open ones. Simple supply and demand, as well as the Stationary Coupe being the best looking car of the bunch.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bryankazmer said:

Set aside the value difference of open cars as antiques.  We all understand this.

But as a car to drive, if you don't put the roof down, a closed car is superior - lighter (convertibles require frame reinforcement), cheaper, more weather tight, quieter, no need to replace top periodically.  I've had 5 as daily drivers because I like the experience (We can peacefully differ), which is different from sunroof and windows/side curtains open, enough to put up with these disadvantages.  

Yes, the closed cars are superior, but I enjoy driving the phaetons and roadsters with the top up, which is a totally different experience than driving a closed car. As I said, it gives you the open car experience/ambience, but you don't get beat to death. Now... If I were in a big city, and traveling 0-10mph, I would put the top down so I could see.

• Like 4

Ive been waiting on my secretary (wife) to be able to do another post.  I think she needs a hug or a smily face - something!!

On to today's contribution;

Unusual one off conv sedan.  Well known car.  You'd wonder how they fulfilled this order when the car was new.  A '34 Chassis and serial number with what looks like a leftover '33 Dietrich body.  Notice short hood and square doors.  Car was supposedly delivered to a government agency in Washington DC for transporting dignitaries.  The tail section was modified and extended 5 inches to accommodate 7 passengers.  The only know Dietrich delivery with jump seats.  Beautiful car.  

There is a line from an old movie - "I can do this longer than you can!!"   LOL

20527379_ScreenShot2014-02-02at12_10_46PM.png.06f34bf797ea889e8b8b57c744ddfcc8.png325393984_ScreenShot2020-06-03at2_16_16PM.png.685087813a5ef503fe829fed513fcc0e.png397420252_ScreenShot2020-11-28at12_28_20PM.png.454a340b79ca94b35b1e89a2428b920b.png100_0367.JPG.e3c0a1c990d9f45f4ad45a3c9f787ebb.JPG681336131_ScreenShot2013-08-06at6_02_59PM.png.010e42130f87b081e0a7d484380a2f76.png

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Interesting that it has a LeBaron hood ornament on it.

Also interesting that they didn't improve on the looks of a factory dual-cowl phaeton. And when I say they didn't improve... I mean they made it look really bad.

Obviously built for the government or a politician…….look at the siren on the passenger running board, extra center light, and funny brackets on the front bumper. 

• Like 1

This photo was included in an article in a Classic Trains magazine, Special Edition No. 6, titled "FDR's Wartime Train Travels" by Fred B. Wrixon.   Although eight model years old at the time, a very well-kept 1934 Packard Twelve Individual Custom by Dietrich convertible sedan was considered appropriate as presidential livery.  The 1941 DeSoto convertible and late '20's-1930 Lincoln L touring available for the presidential entourage.  The photo source is noted on the images.

Classic Trains - FDR - '34 Packard a.JPG

Classic Trains - FDR - '34 Packard b.JPG

• Like 6

18 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

This photo was included in an article in a Classic Trains magazine, Special Edition No. 6, titled "FDR's Wartime Train Travels" by Fred B. Wrixon.   Although eight model years old at the time, a very well-kept 1934 Packard Twelve Individual Custom by Dietrich convertible sedan was considered appropriate as presidential livery.  The 1941 DeSoto convertible and late '20's-1930 Lincoln L touring available for the presidential entourage.  The photo source is noted on the images.

Classic Trains - FDR - '34 Packard a.JPG

Classic Trains - FDR - '34 Packard b.JPG

Great period photos. Exactly what I was looking for. 

31 minutes ago, packard12man said:

Great period photos. Exactly what I was looking for. 

Packard12man:

I've tried to find the source for the original photograph to no avail.  Perhaps you will have better results.  I suspect there are more photos taken during that visit that show the FDR and the Packard at various events.

Steve

Another installment;

Lovely coupe - purchased new by John Mecom - Texas Oil Baron.  This car remained in the family for decades.  Only known one produced for 1933.  Upon updating my files & thanks to this discussion, I thought the red car was a reproduction but in studying the licence plate it is the same car.  Great studio photos of the car in its present state.1277356486_ScreenShot2014-12-29at2_29_21PM.png.ddb5a5332902eec26290c6a234149a33.png1994756390_ScreenShot2021-08-14at8_52_22AM.png.53a4d05865e705c3fc1d2593bf203240.png264939479_ScreenShot2013-06-29at10_31_43PM.png.658f748cd59e81a85347946ee928f411.png1933-packard-twelve-coupe.1920x1080.Dec-20-2011_16_10_08.722853.jpg.15ec2be1b3576ff036dd0677969db607.jpg1755500185_ScreenShot2023-01-09at1_46_57PM.png.c09aeb1cbcaa1ea4eab36c7d9f407d3b.png 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, West Peterson said:

This is an interesting juxtaposition of two 1933 Twelves.... One looks like there's a phone booth in the middle of the car, the other looks like sex on wheels.

Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 9.53.30 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 9.53.44 AM.png

difference between 4 million and 400 K is about 3 inches give or take.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 1/16/2023 at 5:37 PM, West Peterson said:

I enjoy driving the phaetons and roadsters with the top up, which is a totally different experience than driving a closed car. As I said, it gives you the open car experience/ambience, but you don't get beat to death

I completely agree. I have a factory bodied 7 pass touring car, have never put the top down ( would need at least 3 friends of some ability to be able to do that without loosing a finger , who could manage the weight of the top irons, bows, and material)  How much breeze do you need? Top down looks great and if you do a parade you will be noticed, but I think - who wants to look at an old gray haired guy like me anyway?  I own the car because it is fun to drive and I like the looks. Some people own cars because they want to "impress" someone, anyone - I usually do not have people like that I regard as friends. 😬

• Like 7

I have a confession……..having driven Custom Dietrich’s over 1400 miles in the past seven years……..I can confirm the ladies love them……..and the guy who’s driving them…………until they find out I’m just the help……….the stories I could tell.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 1/22/2023 at 9:54 AM, West Peterson said:

This is an interesting juxtaposition of two 1933 Twelves.... One looks like there's a phone booth in the middle of the car, the other looks like sex on wheels.

Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 9.53.30 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 9.53.44 AM.png

It's also amazing the difference in wheel treatment. The huge chrome hub of the top car really blows the look when you see how well the painted hub and rim looks on the bottom car. I think about the only thing that would improve the look of the black car would be to remove the colossal hood ornament. Either the Goddess of Speed or a plain bail would be much less assuming. I even like the wide whites on this one because it was so well done.

• Like 2

Dietrich, with his V-windshield designs was demonstrating his vision for car design in the 1930's: cleaner lines and surfaces, less fussy detailing, more integrated, with an aerodynamic feel yet not extreme.  The gray 1933 1005 coupe is still in the late 1920's design language: tall, generally upright, heavy moldings, practical proportions if not so stylish.  Why Packard management didn't snap Ray Dietrich up for their design department the moment he separated from Murray/Dietrich is to their everlasting shame.

• Like 2