Getting youth involved - can't start them too early

Terry Bond

This past weekend we had some MG car club members over for a tech-session.  Nice day and a good turnout.  Our family always turns out to help and this year our Great Grandson, Colter was right in the thick of things. He will be 1 year old in December.   Here is a photo of him getting into the  box of antique tools I have displayed in my garage.  He spent more than an hour rearranging stuff.  He had a blast and we had fun watching.  Our Grandson started this way too.

Terry

Colter getting into the old tool box.jpg

• Like 16

All great photographs. I taught kids age 5 to 12 (1.100 per week and in winter 6 days a week) for 30+ years. They are eager to explore, and want to learn . Take the time to have the patience to share with them and explain things - they understand a lot more then you can ever imagine. And remember as well. We are the mentors for the following generations, it is why welcoming them at events and talking to them with their folks is important. Do not ignore them, make them a part of it. Lead the way and they will follow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The two blondes that rode in my back seat ( my wife didn’t mind) started at 6 months and took their last ride at 16 years for Sophie and 17 years for Gracie ( the smaller one). Now Lou is taking over, he is 10 and a rescue. Never been in a car or on grass before. He was a stud for the Ohio Amish. They dropped him at a clinic undernourished when he couldn’t produce any more. He’s happy now. 
Sorry no grandkids. 
dave s 

C2DE39A2-3DFC-46E5-85E1-8565079A561C.jpeg

B6A59291-758A-418A-8B68-0A4E34E8CA0C.jpeg

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 2

No grandkids yet, but my son is now 38 and the past few years has started to really appreciate it and shown an eagerness to learn about them. Lately he often brings up topics and tasks to me instead of the other way around. Never too late ... :) 

He's more into the mid 60s GTO style and gets excited about those type of events. I've watched how my son is treated at car shows and swap meets by fellow hobbyists. I've been both disappointed and encouraged as some guys clearly want to till the ground while others seem to want to destroy it. At times it takes everything in me to hold my tongue with some of the negative types but then when we encounter a true hobbyist it makes the experience worthwhile and we both make it a point of teachable moments to a mans character...

The hobby is fading but not dead. I believe if we take Walts advice I'm sure we'll see it continue to survive, especially if we remember some kids may not be ready for it now, but if you are patient and continue to encourage them at their own pace then someday it will begin to have an impact on them as they continue to share the love for automotive history and styling. 

• Like 1