For Sale: 1973 Chevy Vega Estate Wagon - "Excellent condition, One owner" - Alhambra, CA - Not Mine - 11/20 Reduced - 12/13 Deleted

For sale ob Craigslist: 1973 Chevy Vega 2-door Estate Wagon in Alhambra, CA  -  $12,000  -  No phone # provided. Reply to Seller through Craigslist email to: b75a654a2ea4359aafc19cb5cecad254@sale.craigslist.org

On 11/20, Seller reduced price to $10,000

Link: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/7558770201/1973-Chevy-Vega-Estate-Wagon

Seller's Description:

1973 Chevy Vega 2-door Estate Wagon

• condition: excellent
  • cylinders: 4 cylinders
  • transmission: manual
  • odometer: 135,108
  • title status: clean

Selling for a friend...1973 Chevy Vega Estate Wagon. One owner. 135,000 miles. 4 cylinder motor with 4 speed manual transmission. Very good to excellent condition. Records/receipts for all work done to the vehicle throughout the years.

Rare find...No Lowballers, dreamers or time wasters will be tolerated. Contact for appointment for viewing.

image.png.531c3f8b3465fffaa4e055079ba921b9.png

image.png.584377e893e2eefb974db16e760ccf2f.png

image.png.0461d1af72e8ef75ac4bc53cf7a8fc6c.png

image.png.262f44edfd42be606c4b78fed6f51c1a.png

image.png.11ba07341629451080832b1b14a90edf.png

image.png.f305e2f217d41d8e8b95e5eeb3d5d4e4.png

image.png.de1585cb71909d29df15e18387499fb1.png

image.png.1bbf99bbc371902b3e8ff0c140311e01.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)

I don't think the seller is going to get a flock of buyers at his front door for 12 grand! This is a plain jane Vega wagon and they weren't the best cars that GM ever put out

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, deac said:

I don't think the seller is going to get a flock of buyers at his front door for 12 grand!  This is a plain jane Vega wagon... 

I agree that it's not worth $12,000, but this would likely

be considered the highest trim level of Vega.

They weren't good cars overall, but to find one today--

unless it's a Cosworth--is a rare occurrence.  I'm glad

this one has survived to help tell Chevrolet's history.

• Like 3

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1973 Chevy Vega Estate Wagon - "Excellent condition, One owner" - Alhambra, CA - Not Mine - 11/20 Reduced

I was around (although not driving yet) when Vegas came on the market. Had friends and neighbors who bought them. One of them had the Pontiac version (“Astre”). They were cheap cars not designed to last long. 

I question the 135k mileage claim. I am not aware of any Vega reaching 135k!

I like this one. And you never see them any more. Maybe an occasional Cosworth or a V-8 conversion. This survivor is cool and I hope someone buys it and enjoys it. 

• Like 1

I only knew one person who owned a Vega and it was a Cosworth that seems to me he had a long wait to get.  He was 65 at a time I was in my 20’s.   
My only real memory of it was at a club event he went out to start it it wouldn’t go. It was under warranty but I know it didn’t have many miles on it.

• Like 1

Vegas were popular (later infamous) when I was in college.

Lots of college students bought them as used cars, and soon realized why they were so affordable.

I don't so much remember them being driven as I recall them sitting in off-campus housing's driveways with their hoods removed and engines partially disassembled.

I wouldn't touch one of these even as a beater. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I will admit I owned a 1971 Vega back in 1981… mine had a small block V8 stuff into it. It was the ultimate sleeper with only the dual exhaust, chopped front  bumper hinting that it was different. Fun car when your a high school kid. My dad said no to the 65 GTO but yes to that?  

I sold it back to the person who built it after it got seriously T-boned in a parking lot. He rebuilt and as of a couple of years ago it and it is still around somewhere.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EmTee said:

Three things I remember about them:

1. Overheating

2. Oil burning and

3. The 'hermetically sealed' throw-away paper air filter/housing assembly...

Right! the original idea by GM engineering was that they wouldn't need a radiator because the aluminum engine conducted heat so well. Overheating was their down fall. There was an excellent discussion on the Hemmings blog: https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2020/06/23/ask-a-hemmings-editor-what-gave-the-vega-engine-its-bad-reputation

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In 81-83 we used to buy these things for 300 bucks or so with crapped out motor's and stuff in hot rodded small block 400's.  After about 6 weeks they would twist so bad the doors wouldn't open and close right. Weld in everything possible to keep it from twisting in half till something finally broke in a catastrophic manner. Push it out back and remove the trans, engine and rear and go out and find another. Ford guys were destroying pinto's in the same manner.

• Like 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1973 Chevy Vega Estate Wagon - "Excellent condition, One owner" - Alhambra, CA - Not Mine - 11/20 Reduced - 12/13 Deleted