1965 Pontiac GTO sports coupe - pricing/value questions

cervag2004

Hi y’all I’m new to the forum I had a question maybe y’all could help me. So I’m looking to purchase my first gto and I found one but needed some help as far as pricing and value of the car.  So here we go. It a 65 gto sports coupe not hardtop that has been completely restored.  It has a 69 400 mildly built with edelbrock aluminum heads and a mild cam, new tko 600 5 speed, will wood disc brakes all the way around, Currie 9 inch with coil overs setup with 4:11 and it’s mini tubbed.  Car only has about 200 miles after the build new paint and new interior. My question is what should I offer the gentlmen and the fact that’s it’s a post and not a hardtop does it’s help or hurt the value since only around 8k coupes were built compared to 55k hardtops.  Any hel would be greatly appreciated.

F2951C02-9EA2-43F9-BBFC-783129E7C682.jpeg

C3695B56-731D-4B64-9524-C57452CD689D.jpeg

3634A3BB-63D7-4A16-A5C1-785D91136C87.jpeg

AB427024-299A-49B0-8116-67D64989FCC8.jpeg

03C3CD09-2230-4E95-AF90-91FCEC42D4C8.jpeg

1st off, that's a Restomod, NOT "completely restored."   Therefore, although in some cases it is better then new, do NOT confuse it with an original car, or an original car that has been restored.  Put another way, it's a Hot Rod or in the vernacular of the times, a "Street Machine."   There is nothing wrong with that, but do not compare apples to oranges.  

The fixed B Pillar v hardtop debate has many angles.  For go fast speed, you may want the fixed B Pillar because it adds stiffness. But in the end you are probably splitting hairs, you won't notice a speed difference with a 2 door hardtop on the streets. 

Neither car is rare, 8,000 made is a LOT.  55,000 made is even MORE but because the GTO is iconic, it is highly collectible, like the 55-57 Chevys.   Nonetheless, there should be quite a few around relatively speaking.  

It all comes down to what YOU want, an original muscle car with a 389, or this street rodded version.  This is a nice looking car with a lot of work put into it.  I guess a person could check the auction results over the past year - Mecum, that sort of thing.  Those auctions have a LOT of restomods roll through.  

At the end of the day, the man's asking price is probably going to find a buyer within 10% of his price.  There are a TON of salt and pepper dudes out there with retirement money that love to buy these cars and relive their youth in a more reliable manner. With the hood down the only outward appearance of modification are the wheels, and a lot of guys swap factory wheels out for a different look.  

Hope someone else can help.  Only you can decide if 90% of his asking price is good for your wallet.  But clarification of what you are looking at is essential moving forward. 

• Like 5

I would pass personally.  This GTO can never be taken back to original without a re-restoration. Are you 100% sure the seller did a professional job of the modifications?   If something goes haywire in a couple of years and you go to sell it, you are NOT selling a GTO.  You are selling a hot rod.   

• Like 2

I have to say that although I am not a fan of restomods and agree with the concerns voiced by the other posters that that is a good looking car that(if I wasn’t poor and old) would tempt me. I have reached the stage of life where I am  really not being too excited about what folks say about me. If you have the money to spare(for heaven’s sake don’t finance it) and it is well done(make sure you get a list of what was done and who did it incase you need parts later) and you are not worried about possibly needing a quick resale or a loss of value  it could be a lot of fun.

• Thanks 1

First, Verify with PHS that it's a GTO instead of a LeMans. 1964-65 GTO's are LeMans with a GTO option and are very easy to clone. Just by looking at the car, all LeMans-GTO have wheel arch molding (part of the LeMans package). Incorrect engine, Trans, Wrong rear end, Wrong brakes, Wrong wheels, A tubbed rear end and who know what suspension parts have been changed (Hotchkis etc.), and 8,319 post cars are not rare. So, for sure you have a modified car-NOT a restored car. You will be accepted at GTOAA and POCI in modified GTO show classes provided you have your PHS papers, otherwise you will be in with all the modified cars.

• Like 3

My day for muscle cars has long passed but this is a good looking car. If (as others have said) it is well done and you can get the information on exactly what/who did the mods  plus a modified non original muscle car is what you are looking for, go for it if it’s within your price range. Check Hemmings and a few other listings online and compare the prices to see if this one is reasonable. No matter what you do be sure you can have fun with it and it is not a burden financially or mechanically. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 1

As has already been said, one of the most important things to do is find out if it's a real GTO or a clone.  But-only you can decide if that makes a difference for you  Same with all the modifications.  Hope it's local to you so you can do a personal inspection.  Nice paint but I've seen them with tons of bondo in them under the shiny finish.  I see some things that lead me to believe there is more to carefully evaluate - lack of woodgrain dashboard is a characteristic of the tempest/lemans cars.  Funky tach sticking out of the dash is a big "yuck" to me.   One thing that's purely cosmetic on these cars is the pin-stripe. There isn't one on this car so it's either been omitted by the owner as a preference, or was overlooked during the painting process.  Minor stuff and since it is a modified car those points may not be relevant for you.  You know what you'll be doing with it so if it meets your needs and fits your budget have fun.

Here is a pic of my 67,

gto_resized_for_forum.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The "sedan-vs-hardtop" situation can be a plus or a minus, depending on the taste of the buyer. Personally, I definitely prefer the hardtop, with it's shorter roof and longer trunk look. And most casual onlookers will not be aware of production figure differences. But more importantly to you, perhaps, is the fact that rarity of a model or body style means much less on a modified car than on a restored car. 

I haven't bought too many muscle cars lately, but I sold my LS6 Chevelle project car two years ago. This price seems too much for this car, in MY opinion. Either way, I hope you'll be happy and satisfied with whatever decision you make. 

Thats a good looking car.  I like cars more towards stock but this one looks ok to me. If youre good with them I would not let any of the modifications bother. PFeil is right on with his assessment. One thing to make for sure is if its a legit GTO. PHS (Pontiac Historical Services, which is run by Jim Mattison) is the only way to know for sure. If the owner/seller does not have it I would request a copy before laying down any cash. PHS is the go to for Pontiac stuff and should be the final word, any legit Pontiac guy has one on their car. I would be surprised if the seller does not have it, if he doesnt or says he doesnt, red flag the car may be a 'clone'. I would want to find out that the motor has not been overbuilt, meaning you can run it around town casually with no problems. The 400 is a great motor. I would think if its a GTO "Clone" that 25k would be a fair price. A real GTO 25k-30k def a good price. There is a legit PHS verified 65 GTO tri power 4 speed for sale in the current POCI magazine for 39,500. Theres another GTO 'Clone' convertible for 48,500.

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to 1965 Pontiac GTO sports coupe - pricing/value questions

When it's been modified this much, does it really matter if it began as a GTO or LeMans?  This car will never be restored or represented as a restored car.  There are still enough authentic GTO's around that a person wanting one can find a documented one much more easily than trying to do this one.  So it's do you like this rod?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2022 at 9:10 AM, JACK M said:

I like that is has three pedals.

I wonder if there will come a time, as we Baby Boomers age and inevitably pass away, if the pendulum will swing towards automatics becoming the more popular choice. I drive them as I find them but admit that at my age, for a driver, I prefer an automatic. If you like the car buy it. You can always resell it if it turns out to be less then what you thought it was. With a restomod you limit the market for a classic, but there is bound to be someone who loves it.  

1 hour ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

I wonder if there will come a time, as we Baby Boomers age and inevitably pass away, if the pendulum will swing towards automatics becoming the more popular choice. I drive them as I find them but admit that at my age, for a driver, I prefer an automatic. If you like the car buy it. You can always resell it if it turns out to be less then what you thought it was. With a restomod you limit the market for a classic, but there is bound to be someone who loves it.  

20 years ago a four speed was a 20% premium over an automatic.  These days it is a push and A/C is a bigger deal.

For the right price I dont think anyone would have a hard time selling this particular car. It may not be to the liking of many on this forum but there are still a lot of people that look for this kind of vehicle. I know the circus atmosphere tv auctions are not a tell all, but I watch most of them and currently resto mods typically bring more money than restored cars.

As far as manual vs. automatic, personally I would take an automatic any day of the week. I have spent enough seat time grinding through gears in a dump truck and could care less if I ever have to shift a car again. That being said, IF I ever get my current project finished it is a 4 speed, LOL.

• Like 3