Front licensed plate on veteran cars

Tonz

Getting excited now it's almost time to get my 26 Chrysler 50 on the road.

I was trying to figure where and how to mount the front licence plate.

As you can see in my photo there is a good spot on the apron under the radiator shroud but this may be too hidden for the legal boysas it is way back from front view.

Forward of radiator could obstruct air flow.

On the bumper might look put of place.

If anyone has some photos for ideas would be appreciated. Cheers

IMG_20220722_153319.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tonz said:

Getting excited now it's almost time to get my 26 Chrysler 50 on the road.

I was trying to figure where and how to mount the front licence plate.

As you can see in my photo there is a good spot on the apron under the radiator shroud but this may be too hidden for the legal boysas it is way back from front view.

Forward of radiator could obstruct air flow.

On the bumper might look put of place.

If anyone has some photos for ideas would be appreciated. Cheers

IMG_20220722_153319.jpg

I see a lot of them like this....

1926 Chrysler.jpg

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Pretty certain the hangers for your car would be on the headlamp bar as the bumper was an accessory in 1926.

Did any manufactures have a bumper as standard equipment then?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hook said:

Move to a state that doesn't have front plates. 

We don't require front plates here. 

What you always see are YOM plates on the front.  Always a nice finishing touch on a vintage vehicle and stops the "What year is that?" from spectators.

Craig

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hidden_hunter said:

For normal cars we have front plates but for pre 1929 only a rear plate is required

my car is a 1928 Chrysler 72 convertible coupe I was thinking where to put front number plate 

so it does not interfere with air flow to radiator reading your post I will have to check here in the uk 

to see if it has to have a front plate by law ( hope not )

I have a 1925 Maxwell/Chrysler and my YOM plate is mounted on the bar running in front of the radiator. It’s attached with metal clamps that have leather strapping inside to prevent damage to paint/metal. It was there when the DMV certified it for registration and no state, county or local PD has ever stopped me about it. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, hook said:

Move to a state that doesn't have front plates

Also check your state laws carefully  Some states have different requirements for antique cars.  I am told that in Texas if your car did not come with a front license plate holder you are exempt.  If all else fails you may wish to follow my plan for the past 50 years.  Simply don't run front plates.  

• Like 1

Keep the front plate in the car. If you get stopped by a cop tell him you noticed the bracket was falling apart so you saved the plate. New bracket is back ordered. Most cops are interested in the car and could care less about a missing plate. 
If you live near me I’ll bail you out if you get arrested!  But SC doesn’t have front plates. They don’t want to waste the money!  
dave s 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tonz said:

Well Hook, that raises another question.

Or plates are much wider than the rear guards, so I will have to tuck the rear plate under the rear of the tray.

I doubt that your plate is wider than the 1931 Delaware plate on my car

• Like 1

I went all fancy on my Nash. I had seen a period accessory in the past that was a license plate holder with a light centered above the plate bracket from the 20's. The original was incomplete and $300 so I whipped up my own version with some aluminum plate and a model t tail light. It just bolts to the bumper bracket so no modification necessary. It has a low wattage bulb in it, enough to act as a marker light and plate illuminator. 

IMG_20220703_155349054_HDR.jpg.907d4b4d9716a364514cb9fb484acb1f.jpg

• Like 3

I would put the front plate under the seat and let the good times roll. I have yom on my car, I carry the new state issue plates in my trunk as per the law. Never had a problem, never been stopped. I do have a front but probably wont on the next one. I have not had a front plate on my dd for a year now and have not had a problem. 

• Like 1

In the USA, the rules are different in nearly every state. Some are nasty if one strays from the rules, others generally don't care if a collector car doesn't follow the rules, and a few don't really have any rules for cars past a certain age.

Yes, it is true that almost anything in front of the radiator closer than several feet, will restrict the air flow through the radiator to some extent. However, If an average size license plate is forward of the radiator by at least three inches (four would be even better!)? The loss to the cooling effect will be minimal.

In the first place, with three inches clear between them, most of the air will deflect around and pass through the radiator to some extent anyway. Secondly, a curious effect will cause eddies and currents around the license plate that will result in low pressure zones that will in turn chill the air a bit resulting in compensating for SOME of the loss of free flow.

The direction the wind is blowing relative to the car's travel will have a greater effect on cooling efficiency.

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2022 at 3:33 PM, TAKerry said:

I would put the front plate under the seat and let the good times roll. I have yom on my car, I carry the new state issue plates in my trunk as per the law. Never had a problem, never been stopped. I do have a front but probably wont on the next one. I have not had a front plate on my dd for a year now and have not had a problem. 

I also put the tag under my seat, but with a photo copy of the YOM rules taped to the back.   Better to educate the cop before the ticket than

in the court house.

In Florida the Horseless Carriage tag is lettered "Permanent" in raised letters like Florida.   A guy in our club got a ticket from a cop who never

heard of that.  The Judge had to educate the cop and apologize to to the Marmon driver.   

• Like 2