Rumor: A Mercedes-Benz Silver Arrow car has sold for a record $142 million

As with all record sales, I wonder what lessons can be learned by young people. What career was followed to amass that amount of disposable income? Why did Mercedes sell it, sales in a slump? Yes, If given that amount of money I could build a fine collection without one Mercedes in it, and employ a lot of happy people. 

Bob

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

As with all record sales, I wonder what lessons can be learned by young people. What career was followed to amass that amount of disposable income? Why did Mercedes sell it, sales in a slump? Yes, If given that amount of money I could build a fine collection without one Mercedes in it, and employ a lot of happy people. 

Bob

I think that all good and great fortunes fall in three categories.  I’m talking tens of millions and multiples thereof.

The first is the Lucky Sperm Club, one is born inheriting a fortune.

The second is the work hard with a universal goal in mind, and invent or perfect something that affects millions of people, and the corresponding expenditure by same.  Think Ford or Gates….

The third is just blind luck.  Accidentally find the mother lode in the 1800s, happen to be involved in railroads in the later 1880s, accidentally buy Microsoft stock in 1985, accidentally be pals with someone in a cash producing business who carries you on his wings you with him.  Along with this one is seeing trends and following them, such as getting in on ground floor with McDonalds then working one’s arse off.

I don’t begrudge any of their people their wealth, they deal with a lot of problems both caused by wealth, and others issues, the same as common folk.  Wealth tears families apart, we’ve all seen it…..

• Like 4

Microsoft in 1985 ! Yes indeed ! Actually in 1982 I was taking a Computer class at my local Institute of Technology and I noticed a lot of the software we were using was from a company named Microsoft. It seemed to be a pretty good product, reasonably easy to use for the time frame. And quite good at doing the task it was suppose to do. I had the thought on several occasions that it would probably be a good company to invest in. 

Of course as a student I had no money at all to invest with, barely keeping my meager bills paid and living on student loans at the time. Took several more years to dig myself out of the hole I was in , and never did have any extra money for such frills as investments. 

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

The bucks will be donated for scholarships in the field of decarbonization. I,m wondering if the recipients will be expected to look favorably at MB,s electrification efforts and government interactions.

Nah! I,m sure it was pure altruism for the common good. ........bob

Motives for deciding to sell aside, and the deep pockets of the buyer aside, (both have nothing to do with whether this is possibly the finest car ever built), I personally understand why any sincere and wealthy car aficionado would want to own this gem. MB throughout it's fabled history has rarely built an ordinary car. To the contrary, their products have excelled generally in style, engineering, purposefulness and purity. This 1 of 2 example stands at the very top by some distance from any of the rest of their output (above SSKL's, other Gullwings, 30's GP cars etc). Knowing MB's attention to every detail, I can imagine this car could be used for pleasure for another 100 years and kept mechanically fresh with MB's known client support system. While a lot of $$ changed hands (by someone for whom $$$ is not likely a factor)(I'd rather own this than Twitter!), I'm hoping whomever acquired it exercises it regularly, and gets to enjoy the exhilarating pleasure the original racers must have enjoyed. My tip of cap goes to MB for allowing this gem to go back into private ownership. Kudos. 

The article indicates Ulenhaut, the MB honcho for whom the cars were named, used this one as his personal transportation and raced it in some local events at the time, but not as a factory racecar. It's bones are pure race version It seems.  

Interesting car, but that price is just plain nuts. So many equally / more significant cars change hands for a small fraction of this absurd price. 

I don't really buy into the MB or even the Porsche , " Uber car " mindset.  300 SL's / SLR's , 906's , 908's ,917's ,were not really " dominant " , lots of other cars could give them a good run for the money. And often a lot cheaper to buy and operate.

Decarbonization is actually very simple to achieve. Just live in a warm place , cook your food with a large magnifying glass, use a bamboo frame bicycle for transport and accept that you will probably never see anything more than 10 miles from your front door within your lifetime.

No need for a multi billion $ P.R. job.

We just saw a new record price for a car...I cant really call it a car, maybe Automobile? 

image.png.f0a293c9225bef71f6c660f958c319be.png

The stunning beauty and engineering of this automobile is exquisite...

but a lot of automobiles have not sold in years, so in your opinion, What should hold the title as the "Worlds Most Expensive Car"?

Some of my personal favorites...

image.png.0ee7f12d8fab49c4cafdf756f7a31eb9.png

image.png.788d0d85013234c7e4540d165790d3f9.png

image.png.ce4295824c1616839d66ec0a9ad112eb.png

image.png.35caf00de68db4a7f844b2f8fb3e5313.png

If you're really asking among auto enthusiasts what is the "most desirable" car that exclusive group might want if they could only have 1 and wanted something they could drive and show, the MB would be hard to move off the top. A Ferrari GTO circa 1962-1965 would be my second choice, and for a 3rd/4th brand, a racing Bugatti (Type 51 perhaps) and an Alfa Romeo 2900 next. My preference is clearly for well engineered reliable and rare sports cars, after all what other reason for owning a car is there but to be able to run fast! Of my 4, my guess is the MB would be the most fun, and most reliable. While the Royales are awesome, owning one would be like owning a Faberge Egg, rare, expensive, but not very useful. If money is a factor, the Ford GT40 would be hard to beat. Duesenbergs are wonderful and rare, but cannot imagine enjoying driving one fast.

Most expensive ? People with fat wallets and the requisite ego determine this. Those of us in the great unwashed don't really have a clue what motivates " world class " prices.

It  might as well all be a news broadcast from Mars.

Gunsmoke, I can't think of any rational reason for owning a  " fast "  road car. Seeing as how even using a fraction of its potential on a public road is going to eventually end up in very expensive trouble.  As I really like fast cars I am only going to own a fast track car. A Chevron of pretty much any type would be my first choice, followed closely by a Lola T290.  I would even settle for being able to afford using my Elden MK 12 with the Cosworth BDA it was fitted with from the factory.   1973 British F3 series car, now fitted with a water cooled VW FSV engine . Not quite as fast, but substantially cheaper. Long live wings and slicks.

A car that you build for yourself, and no one else right from scratch without using proprietary components.  The parameters being NO EXPENSE SPARED on your own handcrafted engine, chassis, and body with all the creature comforts, interior fitments, being of top quality materials and metallurgy.

Craig

Possible I suppose, but who would have the abilities and resources to do this ? Materials and metallurgy are one thing , but produce and use forging dies, carry out heat treatment , and the equipment to do grinding operations are skills / machinery that few single persons have. Very few skilled sheet metal people are good designers or mechanics let alone skilled mechanical engineers. Pretty tall order.

Unfortunately we don't live 200 years.

My thoughts:  Why focus, in the least, on money, or

give accolades to the "most expensive" of anything?

The fact that some things sell for exorbitant amounts

offers a lesson to me:  No matter how much money

one has, there is always some object he wants that will

consume it.  Buy a car, or jewelry, or a painting, or a 

company.

I have as much fun with my 1979 Buick Electra as someone

else may have with a much more expensive vehicle.  After

all, they are both just assemblies of sheet metal, steel,

glass, and rubber.  Why ascribe millions to one, and a

thousandth the value to the other?

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3

One of these would be more $ than your Electra , but not a lot more. But 400% of the fun of a " large " Buick.  I am trying to be nice John , not a big fan of big cars. But I know some like them.  1958 Buckler 90, sort of a kit car, sort of a production car. This a  nice one built up in New Zealand in the late 1950's.

Spotted in the auctions: 1958 Buckler Sports 90 October 2020 - Motor Sport  Magazine

Well...if you've been watching fine art prices, this car is a big sale but a fraction of what the top paintings go for and to my mind, it's a greater achievement than any of them because it's the work of a very talented team, is truly beautiful, and you can drive it. Much rarer than a Bugatti Royale, more useable than Gary Cooper's SSJ (assuming you can tolerate the insurance premiums), and no doubt a hoot to drive. I have heard one of these desmodromic straight eights at full song...quite a wonderful noise.  

• Like 1