1940 Ford Lincoln Zephyr Convertable $25,000 WA State Not Mine

2 hours ago, ericmac said:

It always amazes me how many of these cars survived. 

Too pretty to crush.

Nice color, too.

I don't do facebook so I don't know the details, but unless the mechanicals are a LOT better than the cosmetics, this one's going to sit for a while.

18 hours ago, ericmac said:

It always amazes me how many of these cars survived. 

No real surprise here:

Low depreciation from new. Highly sought after post WWII (and produced 1946-48) Simple mechanical systems (weak motor but easily changed to a postwar V-8).  The first postwar accepted Full Classics. 

The Lincoln Continental owners club started 1953! (the 1948s were only 5 years old) 

Short wheelbase (that fit a garage)

Styling that didnt look dated well into the 1950s  Very collectible into the 60s. 

Every child of the 40s lusted after one and bought them as soon as the value matched their bank account BUT when they didnt have the money or expertise to fix it, the car was pushed into storage "I'm gonna fix that up someday. . . . " 

Now 60+ years later the heirs are pulling them out to sell.  

Still great cars, but supply and demand is keeping them affordable (and sadly, not economically restorable) 

I have a 41 nearly identical to this one, that I bought 30 years ago and I cant justify fixing it and cant face selling it. 

• Like 4

Good to have an owners thoughts. At first glance I thought what a great looking car, I can only imagine the cost to get it at the least running reliably. The rest could wait. BUT, this is one of those cars that 'period dirt and dents' do not do it any justice. This thing needs to shine and look like it did new.

4 hours ago, TAKerry said:

This thing needs to shine and look like it did new.

That's the problem with them.

Mine is a 1941 Cabriolet. Mine runs (Ok, ran when parked) but it had ZERO oil pressure. Yes no indicated pressure on a gauge (low oil pressure is a typical problem with an H-V12) but it was smooth and had no knocks or funny noises. So it needs a motor rebuild ($10,000 minimum).

It seems to have been restored from a good original around 1962. That means that it is dull and the (replaced) leather is dried and cracked.

It has the typical problem with sagging doors from the weak A pillar mountings. But to fix that requires basically gutting the cowl-door jamb to replace it with a new steel piece. 

If you have pulled it apart that far, might as well go all the way right?  Hey, its a Continental so its gotta be correct(?)

"Man, it if were mine, I would just fix it up and drive it!"  Ok, but where?

There are no classes (or respect) in the LCOC, LZOC or CCCA for "cars that need restoration".  Touring Class cars are all older national winners, not fixed up barn finds. A big difference.

25 years ago when I first got my car and I was really excited with it, I drove it to a general FoMoCo show and one of the few people who spoke to me actually said "Why did you bring a parts car to this show?"  After my bubble was burst, I put it back in the garage and somehow never took it out again. I went on with my other cars. 

So you go down the path of spending $100,000+ on the (self) restoration of a car that dealers have struggled to retail for $75,000 in mint finished condition?  A labor of love to be sure, but how much love can you pull out of your bank account?

• Like 5

5 hours ago, m-mman said:

25 years ago when I first got my car and I was really excited with it, I drove it to a general FoMoCo show and one of the few people who spoke to me actually said "Why did you bring a parts car to this show?"  

I'll never get why people are so mean to each other for no reason.  Why would anyone say that to another car fan?...fragile egos, I guess.  Get that thing back out of the garage, and if anyone doesn't like it, forget 'em.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Aaron65 said:

I'll never get why people are so mean to each other for no reason.  Why would anyone say that to another car fan?...fragile egos, I guess.  Get that thing back out of the garage, and if anyone doesn't like it, forget 'em.  

Agreed! Drive it! Guys like that can pound sand. 

20 year old me, at a cruise night with my first “restoration.” I did almost everything in my father’s driveway on a low budget. It was far from perfect but it looked and ran good. Some guy comes up with his buddy and asks me if I painted it with a broom. I asked him to show me his car.  End of conversation. 

One of the reasons I almost never bring my cars to shows. I just drive them. 

• Like 4

I figure idiots in every crowd, but the folks who like to see stuff outweigh the idiots.  

I have seen perfect cars accused of being kit cars and everything in between..    Ignoring idiots and focusing on fun ensures an enjoyable show.  

But back to subject car, very cool but here is a better one, I think here in CT, same money.   This one is roadable per ad anyway...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2084973631643314/?ref=facebook_story_share

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
Added link! (see edit history)

I agree it seems like a decent deal. It’s so close to me that I thought about checking it out. But if I can ever bring myself to free up a garage spot (which honestly seems unlikely), I’m at the point where I should hold out for just the very top of my want list. I like these Continentals but there are other cars I want more. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 5:04 PM, m-mman said:

No real surprise here:

Low depreciation from new. Highly sought after post WWII (and produced 1946-48) Simple mechanical systems (weak motor but easily changed to a postwar V-8).  The first postwar accepted Full Classics. 

The Lincoln Continental owners club started 1953! (the 1948s were only 5 years old) 

Short wheelbase (that fit a garage)

Styling that didnt look dated well into the 1950s  Very collectible into the 60s. 

Every child of the 40s lusted after one and bought them as soon as the value matched their bank account BUT when they didnt have the money or expertise to fix it, the car was pushed into storage "I'm gonna fix that up someday. . . . " 

Now 60+ years later the heirs are pulling them out to sell. 

Agree . Well said.

On 3/9/2022 at 5:04 PM, m-mman said:

Still great cars, but supply and demand is keeping them affordable (and sadly, not economically restorable) 

I have a 41 nearly identical to this one, that I bought 30 years ago and I cant justify fixing it and cant face selling it. 

To restore almost EVERY car out there is a poor "economical" decision. It's a hobby, and there are MANY reasons to restore a car. Good Economics is not one of them. You can justify "fixing it up" by merely saying it's your hobby. I'm not sure how golfers justify what they do, but then again ... unlike the car hobby ... I do not ever hear everyone and their brother asking golfers how the economics works out for them.

• Like 3

I know the comparison to the golf hobby is often cited , but a person can golf on a very limited budget. My father , once he retired , regularly played golf with a tiny outlay. Seniors rates , 9:00 Am tee times , pre booked, package rates, public course. The gas to get him there almost cost as much.

Yes, you can spend a ton on golf . But there are also ways for the very frugal to participate.

The old car hobby on the other hand , even at its cheapest , is a big step up up in expense.

12 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

True, but some people find a way to make the car hobby affordable, too.

That's the most encouraging & sensible sentence I have ever seen on this site...ever. 

• Like 2