Ban on Internal Combustion Engines

40mopar

On 1/5/2022 at 3:09 PM, Peter Gariepy said:

About as well and those finicky ICE pace makers.

You have an ICE pacemaker??!! 😲 Mine's all-electric - don't even have to charge the battery.  You really need to upgrade. 🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TerryB said:

Yes, and along the way it will do it’s best to conserve the battery charge that is left by scaling back some functions like rapid acceleration response and air conditioning setting.

This thread immediately came to mind yesterday, Terry concerning that 40 mile traffic backup on I-95 starting just north of Richmond, VA.  A long haul trucker going from Montreal, Canada to Miami Florida made a video of his trip.  The video included the perfect weather conditions until it suddenly deteriorated in the snow storm due to an 18-wheeler jack knifing.   The highway crews and wreckers could not do anything to help the people for upwards of 27 hours plus/minus.

During his standstill hours he figured he had about 200 gallons of diesel and plenty of food in his sleeper compartment.  As night time came about a guy with his wife and two children in a Tesla were stranded next to him.  The gent knocked on the cab door and he asked the trucker if he had any capabilities to give his Tesla a charge.  The trucker said he did not however was nice enough to give him an extra blanket and in the morning heat up some prepared breakfast packs for the family.  Very nice of him without saying.

And yes there were plenty of gas and diesel vehicles that dried up, too.  Service trucks could at least deliver fuel to the ICE vehicles.  Not so for the Tesla. Just a note to always prepare for the unexpected.

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

This thread immediately came to mind yesterday, Terry concerning that 40 mile traffic backup on I-95 starting just north of Richmond, VA.  A long haul trucker going from Montreal, Canada to Miami Florida made a video of his trip.  The video included the perfect weather conditions until it suddenly deteriorated in the snow storm due to an 18-wheeler jack knifing.   The highway crews and wreckers could not do anything to help the people for upwards of 27 hours plus/minus.

During his standstill hours he figured he had about 200 gallons of diesel and plenty of food in his sleeper compartment.  As night time came about a guy with his wife and two children in a Tesla were stranded next to him.  The gent knocked on the cab door and he asked the trucker if he had any capabilities to give his Tesla a charge.  The trucker said he did not however was nice enough to give him an extra blanket and in the morning heat up some prepared breakfast packs for the family.  Very nice of him without saying.

And yes there were plenty of gas and diesel vehicles that dried up, too.  Service trucks could at least deliver fuel to the ICE vehicles.  Not so for the Tesla. Just a note to always prepare for the unexpected.

It may depend on where you are but in some places AAA and others have mobile EV charging equipment available.

The real problem was getting into a 27 hour log jam without a reasonably full tank/battery. Many EVs, including Teslas, have a utility or "camp" mode that will maintain the car’s internal temperature without running the drive motors, etc. They can typically go a long time, I have heard of up to several days, keeping the car warm in freezing weather (or cool in summer) and still have leave reserve miles in the battery.

To while that article focused on one idiot in a Tesla, this really was more a tale of an unprepared motorist rather than a EV versus internal combustion issue.

• Like 2

Prep is key indeed Peter.  I used to keep a fair amount of cold weather gear in my vehicle when I was still driving.  Occasionally I would get that “look” like why do you still carry that stuff however my army blankets were a relief in some very unexpected conditions.

The EV world is still learning to adapt to conditions around it.  My son is a Tesla engineer and we often talk about the what ifs scenarios on being electric powered which is how I know about the software controls when battery charge is getting low.  He told me about the time he was driving a test car and used a mountain route to add charge range using regenerative braking to ensure he had enough range for his travels.  I’m sure as things progress in the EV world there will be ways to address the situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldcarfudd said:

Before he could recharge his battery coming down a mountain, he had to use even more trons to climb the mountain.  Please explain how driving in mountains gave more range than driving in flat country.

Easy, he was already in the “high country” of California and the route home could be a quick jaunt down to a more flat route back to home or to use a route that was a winding back road downward providing more braking to get to the flat road for home.  The route difference gave him about 20-30 more miles of charge and a little extra mileage cushion to his destination.

My apologies for not being clearer on the situation.  The car was an engineering unit and it said it had about 10 or 15 extra miles of range above and beyond the amount needed to get to his next destination.  He wanted more buffer to his range estimate as he has found engineering cars can have versions of software that might not be giving him a true mileage estimate.  In the end he had no problems getting back to his intended destination.

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

38 minutes ago, ply33 said:

It may depend on where you are but in some places AAA and others have mobile EV charging equipment available.

The real problem was getting into a 27 hour log jam without a reasonably full tank/battery. Many EVs, including Teslas, have a utility or "camp" mode that will maintain the car’s internal temperature without running the drive motors, etc. They can typically go a long time, I have heard of up to several days, keeping the car warm in freezing weather (or cool in summer) and still have leave reserve miles in the battery.

To while that article focused on one idiot in a Tesla, this really was more a tale of an unprepared motorist rather than a EV versus internal combustion issue.

That is exactly what I posted in this article.  27 hour long jam as you stated.  If he had internal heat I doubt he would be asking the trucker if he could charge the Tesla.

Regardless of modes, a dead battery is a dead battery.  As mentioned there is a mode to heat or cool the cabin.  It was found to be causing problems in the summertime as people would leave their pet in the car with the air conditioning on but no noise coming from the car which of course generated panic from passers by.  The big display screen in the car can now display a message that Fido is fine, the air conditioning is on and please don’t break a window to rescue him.

15 hours ago, ply33 said:

Comments correct on all sides, however having been stranded in an unexpected snowstorm, on a motorcycle none the less, along this very same stretch of road it is sometimes hard to prepare. A low tank of fuel or needing a charge and a shortage of provisions is typically just the next exit away. But if you cant go those next 5 miles you are SOL.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Comments correct on all sides, however having been stranded in an unexpected snowstorm, on a motorcycle none the less, along this very same stretch of road it is sometimes hard to prepare. A low tank of fuel or needing a charge and a shortage of provisions is typically just the next exit away. But if you cant go those next 5 miles you are SOL.

When you run out of gas, you can walk to a gas station and carry back a can of gas. With that electric car it's going to be a rough walk with an extension cord several miles long....................

• Like 1

I was in very sparsely populated Colorado/Utah. Wondering about winter driving conditions I asked a local about preparedness. He said "folks keep lots of blankets and a gallon of peanut butter in their car. You can live a long time on a gallon of peanut butter."...................Bob

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bhigdog said:

I was in very sparsely populated Colorado/Utah. Wondering about winter driving conditions I asked a local about preparedness. He said "folks keep lots of blankets and a gallon of peanut butter in their car. You can live a long time on a gallon of peanut butter."...................Bob

I travelled the southwest by motorcycle. Mom and dad had been there a few years before in a car trip. Dads advice was when travelling in the desert stop and get gas when there is a station. Whether or not you need it. He was right.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I travelled the southwest by motorcycle. Mom and dad had been there a few years before in a car trip. Dads advice was when travelling in the desert stop and get gas when there is a station. Whether or not you need it. He was right.

X2.

In some areas of the Intermountain West it's not uncommon for gas stations to be 100 plus miles apart. Traveling through Nevada and Wyoming is where I have personally encountered these long stretches between gas.

5 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Yes,Lights went out and they came back on again, happens in the Winter, no big deal, add wood to the stove.

Bob 

Yes, except it has happened in the middle August, and lasted for 2 days in some areas.

6 minutes ago, John348 said:

When the gas pumps did not work and the cash registers did not work either no internet? Yes I do, very well

But you can still pump the gas manually, use gas powered backup generator (to charge your Tesla), keep some emergency gasoline supply in the garage etc. My point is - electrical power should win on merits, not by prohibition.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Skvitt said:

But you can still pump the gas manually, use gas powered backup generator (to charge your Tesla), keep some emergency gasoline supply in the garage etc. My point is - electrical power should win on merits, not by prohibition.

What merits? After 8 years and the battery warranty is out, a new battery will cost several thousand dollars, plus what it costs to dispose of the old one, so what good is a used electric car for those people that can't afford a new car of any fuel type. Unless we opt for non polluting nuclear energy powered power plants, we're just transferring the pollution from one place to another. Then there's the strain on the power grid that's already at the breaking point. Then there's the refueling problem like riding on the turnpike for several miles and pulling into a station that already has fifteen or so cars waiting in line for a two + hour charge.  Merits? Cars will need to get larger, lighter and slower so they can have solar panels on the roof. No night driving or cloudy days.   

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, hook said:

What merits? After 8 years and the battery warranty is out, a new battery will cost several thousand dollars, plus what it costs to dispose of the old one, so what good is a used electric car for those people that can't afford a new car of any fuel type. Unless we opt for non polluting nuclear energy powered power plants, we're just transferring the pollution from one place to another. Then there's the strain on the power grid that's already at the breaking point. Then there's the refueling problem like riding on the turnpike for several miles and pulling into a station that already has fifteen or so cars waiting in line for a two + hour charge.  Merits? Cars will need to get larger, lighter and slower so they can have solar panels on the roof. No night driving or cloudy days.   

Perhaps I didn't express my point clearly, but what you are saying is exactly what I'm trying to say.

• Like 1