What was the lady driving?

f.f.jones

1 hour ago, f.f.jones said:

My apologies to lady drivers....

Looks like a very worried young man in the driver's seat. Good reason to be worried if that's his father with the overcoat and cigar.

The picture looks a little staged so the fellow in the car may not be the driver.  It seems very odd that the rear wheel would end up under the front axle like that.  Maybe the jack that's laying on the ground was involved in setting up the photo shoot.

That looks like half the front bumper laying by the tree on the right.  But what's really of interest to me is the winter shroud that covers the hood, complete with a radiator flap.  I could use that this week when I've been out driving in near freezing temperatures.  The motometer doesn't even show a blip.  Does anyone have a pattern for a shroud like this? 

Peter

On 12/22/2021 at 7:37 PM, PFindlay said:

But what's really of interest to me is the winter shroud that covers the hood, complete with a radiator flap.  I could use that this week when I've been out driving in near freezing temperatures.  The motometer doesn't even show a blip.  Does anyone have a pattern for a shroud like this? 

Peter

I actually have a NOS one stored away with a tag naming vehicle it fits (can't remember what vehicle) if interested I'll sell it, I'm away, it'll be a week before I can investigate it. Jim

19 minutes ago, drwatson said:

I actually have a NOS one stored away with a tag naming vehicle it fits (can't remember what vehicle) if interested I'll sell it, I'm away, it'll be a week before I can investigate it. Jim

Yes, I'd be interested to know what it fits.  Also what it's made of and if, after ~100 years it would still be strong enough to be used.  Please let me know when you get a chance.

On 12/22/2021 at 4:37 PM, PFindlay said:

But what's really of interest to me is the winter shroud that covers the hood, complete with a radiator flap. Does anyone have a pattern for a shroud like this? 

I would think any experienced antique/classic car upholsterer should be able (easily ?) make one to fit your car/radiator. Concept doesn’t seem too complicated.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

1 hour ago, TTR said:

I would think any experienced antique/classic car upholsterer should be able (easily ?) make one to fit your car/radiator. Concept doesn’t seem too complicated.

Yes, and I've got my wife thinking about it.  That's why I asked about a pattern - it would be nice to end up with something close to an original pattern.

On 12/23/2021 at 9:09 AM, 28 Chrysler said:

With worn or smooth tires one or two chains were put on the front for steering.

cld1.jpg

Could that be one of those early four wheel drive cars? It's not real clear but it looks like extra stuff going out to the hub and both tires chained. Those guys are grinning,out having fun,running drifts just like today is my assessment. I have a sideshift transmission that era that is also a transfer case with two shafts going forward,who has a front axle to go with it?

7 hours ago, PFindlay said:

Yes, and I've got my wife thinking about it.  That's why I asked about a pattern - it would be nice to end up with something close to an original pattern.

I would think my earlier comment applies to designing/making an (period appropriate) pattern also, since they sort of go "hand-in-hand" as they say.

23 hours ago, sagefinds said:

Could that be one of those early four wheel drive cars? It's not real clear but it looks like extra stuff going out to the hub and both tires chained. Those guys are grinning,out having fun,running drifts just like today is my assessment. I have a sideshift transmission that era that is also a transfer case with two shafts going forward,who has a front axle to go with it?

I would expect your trans to be from a truck rather than a car. Think Nash Quad or WW1 era  F.W.D.