Can six people fit in a 1938 Cadillac?

1937hd45

I read the ad copy. It does say "seven" passengers!

Six people? Depends a bit upon the size and weights of the people? And specific model and body style of the 1938 Cadillac! 

All that said? A long time ago, I rode with friends on a tour in a model T touring car. SEVEN of us in a model T touring car! We used to have so much fun.

• Like 1

People seventy plus years ago were shorter in the height and considerably less 'broad-of-beam' than we are as a population now.  Look closely at crowd photos from the 1930's, you'll see few individuals of portly stature.   Note that the advertisement is for "Cadillac Fleetwood" which was only the Series 75 (V8) and Series 90 (V16) on the 141" wb.    The Series 60, 60 Special and 65 were Fisher series models. 

Edited by 58L-Y8
For 'Cadillac Fleetwood" only, not Fisher series models. (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Not the largest group I’ve been in a single passenger vehicle, but over 35 years ago, one summer weekend* night I ended up as a “designated” driver in a ‘59 Cadillac convertible** with 11 other individuals on board.
At one point during the evening, there were at least 4 occupants, including the driver, engaged in intimate activities more commonly associated with and conducted in a bedroom between 2 consenting adults, all while we were (slowly) cruising in the said Caddy through downtown streets/traffic of a mid-size (close to 1000 years old European) city with countless other vintage cars engaged in similar activity, i.e. cruising (not sure about the “other”, but I assume we weren’t the only ones doing that either).

* First of handful times I’ve taken one of my cars to exhibit in a car show and only did it because a good friend who was one of the organizers called, pleaded and said they’ll pay all expenses, including meals, fuel & 3 nights in a hotel (2-day indoor show).
The complimentary room came handy to continue aforementioned “intimate activities” with the young lady I met that evening and who for some unexplainable reason found me either attractive(?) or just compatible enough for whatever "close combat" desires she was harboring (and yes, they were plentiful).

Or maybe it was just the Cadillac ?

Aah, to be young and carefree again !

** Coincidentally, I spoke with the owner of the Caddy just last week and apparently he still owns it.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

Craig

that should be a recreated "reenactment"at Hershey in the near future  . Now that the popular thing for modern culture to do is "reenactments" or "tributes" and other "inspiring" and "thought provoking" activities - my morning bit of  sarcasm is now over.

W

• Haha 1

They're of course are talking about a seven passenger car which means Jump Seats. I have looked at dozens of seven passenger cars from the 20' & 30's and with the knee room with those jump seats up, the only way you could comfortably fit seven is if the two in the jump seat or the back seat behind the jump seat had both legs amputated. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Walt G said:

Craig

that should be a recreated "reenactment"at Hershey in the near future  . Now that the popular thing for modern culture to do is "reenactments" or "tributes" and other "inspiring" and "thought provoking" activities - my morning bit of  sarcasm is now over.

W

I have no problem with that!  I'm skinny enough!!

Craig

21 hours ago, hook said:

They're of course are talking about a seven passenger car which means Jump Seats. I have looked at dozens of seven passenger cars from the 20' & 30's and with the knee room with those jump seats up, the only way you could comfortably fit seven is if the two in the jump seat or the back seat behind the jump seat had both legs amputated. 

Folding 'jump' or 'occasional' seats in seven passenger sedans were only intended for short duration trips, not long-distance touring.  Even in the open seven passenger touring cars, the folding jump seats were employed only when additional passenger capacity demand their use, then only by individuals small enough stature to tolerate the limited space and discomfort.   Definitely, the portly gentlemen or dowager spent no time on those perches...

10 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Folding 'jump' or 'occasional' seats in seven passenger sedans were only intended for short duration trips, not long-distance touring.  Even in the open seven passenger touring cars, the folding jump seats were employed only when additional passenger capacity demand their use, then only by individuals small enough stature to tolerate the limited space and discomfort.   Definitely, the portly gentlemen or dowager spent no time on those perches...

One must also wonder about the rear seat(s) in these extended-cab trucks, and how they are for long distance travel.

Craig