Skinned Knuckles Magazine Gone?

jukejunkie1015

My subscription ran out in April and renewed with PayPal that month. By July, I realized I still had not received a new issue so I sent off an email but received no response. Today I tried a web search and found their web domain has expired. Anyone else having the same issue or are you getting your magazine?

Kurt M

I have a subscription and occasionally write articles for Skinned Knuckles.  I submitted an article in June, and after some normal editorial discussion, it was published in August.  I prepared another article and tried to submit it by email in early September; system could not deliver article.  Telephone number is out of service and web site is gone.  I received my last issue in September.  Skinned Knuckles seems to have vanished!  I have not found out any more.  If anyone knows more, please share.

Frank Pennypacker

1 hour ago, Franklinguy said:

...tried to submit it by email in early September; system could not deliver article.  Telephone number is out of service and web site is gone. 

I don't know any specifics, but even if the editor was vacationing,

or the office relocated, or there was new ownership, a business

would have continuity.  No business would abruptly change its

phone or change its website without forwarding to the new.

For everyone's sake, I hope the magazine is doing well.

However, that seems not to be the case.  Does anyone know

the owner or editor personally to contact him at home?

Neil may be having health issues as he's about as old as I am, and I believe he was pretty much a one-man band other than regular monthly contributors.  I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt at this time, as he certainly seems to be an honorable man in all that I've seen.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Does anyone know

the owner

I do not know him personally, but know of him only from him being in the Nash club and owning a 32 Nash like mine.  He  is Neil Maken, of So. Cal.  

2 minutes ago, Grimy said:

he's about as old as I am

He just turned 80 today by coincidence.  At that age, the possibilities of his sudden absence increase.  Let's hope all is well with him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, F&J said:

He just turned 80 today by coincidence.  At that age, the possibilities of his sudden absence increase.  Let's hope all is well with him.

Thank you!  So he's a year older than I am, but was still at his editing and publishing job--and we should all thank him for that.  I'm personally confident that if he had planned to sell or just close down the magazine, he would have let us know.  As I've mentioned before (perhaps not in this thread), I've been a subscriber since 1977 and took then ed/publ Bill Cannon up on his then-offer of the first 30 or so issues at a discounted price.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I called someone who has known Neil Maken in the past.

It's not confirmed, but Mr. Maken may have passed on.

I just checked legacy.com for an obituary (up thru 6 months ago) with negative results, and likewise no obit found with a google search of his name.  I certainly hope he is still with us!

• 4 weeks later...

I still have no response.

Recently I contacted the Lars Corporation who submits to the magazine. They are also aware that there has been no response from the magazine owners. Their submissions are posted in PDF format on their website.

I was subscriber to Skinned Knuckles back in the 80s and 90s.  I always looked forward to the On Restoration articles by Matt Joseph.  But I had no idea that SK was still being published!  It was a good magazine for the serious restorer.  

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 3:58 PM, Bill Boudway said:

Hi Folks,

Any update on this?

I have two letters returned from them (him).

One to the PO box and another to a street address

Really will miss the magazine. I have all the issues from the beginning.

Hey BIll,

I think the returned mail was the all the update needed

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering this myself as I had just advertised for the first time with them this year, and had not heard about renewing.  I am a new restoration business and they were running a deal for half price because they had lost many advertisers / businesses due to COVID, according to Neil.  That's too bad, I hope all involved are well.  

• 2 months later...

I sent in my yearly sub check in Dec. thus far it has not been cashed and I have not received a mag since Sept. either. I was wondering what was going on and when I looked online I found this thread and I guess I'm not alone. I'm fairly new to the hobby and I love SK. I buy all the back issues I can find! 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It's a shame, these are great magazines with a ton of information, though somewhat scattered in content.

Hope you find a good home for them, a lot of people have no idea what they are, but are pleasantly surprised when perusing copies.

dc

8 hours ago, Gerczak said:

Has anyone digitized the old magazines yet?  I would be very interested in an electronic version if there is one.

I doubt it.  They seemed like a small operation.

After all, the magazine disappeared when the

editor passed on;  there was no team behind him

to carry on.

Note on any digitized magazines:  They may not have

the quality of the original paper copies.  Even with

our own AACA magazine, that is the case:  I tried

using old photos from the digitized AACA magazines

for another AACA purpose, and found them too grainy

to look appropriate.  The original paper versions were fine!