Dash Plaques for car shows..

nick8086

A few years ago, a member put a want-ad in

our AACA regional newsletter, requesting old

dash plaques.  So while the market may be small,

someone may want them.

I think they would be most appreciated by local

people who know those events, or members of

the particular club which gave out those old plaques.

• Like 2

Surprise. There is a small group that collects very early Hershey Fall Meet plaques. The plaques from 1954, 1955, and 1956 are quite rare- the shows were much smaller then. Sometimes these are sold on EBay and sometimes they are sold and traded at the Fall Meet. There was a large collection displayed on the top floor of the Museum; but they were removed suddenly. I imagine they are somewhere in the new headquarters- and hopefully will be displayed again.

• Like 1

I have a box dating back to the early '70's that I would like to give to some young person that is interested in the antique car hobby.  I don't want to just throw them away.

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Not intentionally but I dont throw them out. They get stuck on the side of my toolbox. If you're talking about collecting ones from the past from others, No.

Same here, I put them on the Tool Box and they are for shows only my vehicles attended. Thanks for the offer but don't need yours. 

I stsrted with one 1X8 pine board 8' long hanging from the ceiling.  Now on omy 6th board, it takes up a whole wall.

Shows and tours since 1967.  I guess i spent a pile of money so others could enjoy seeing my cars.  The times they

paid fo rme to show them, there was no dash plaque. 

The six boards hang on a barn door slide from the ceiling, in front of sheets covering the parts storage shelves. 

i guess I'm glad t have memories.  About 260 of them when this picture was taken in 2019.  Sadly many shows and

tours don't give these anymore.   They cost for .38 cents so my $20.00 entry fee goes un-rewarded these days.

393571460_IMG_09521.JPG.5ae448ae500e924d7cc1c26a913ba6cd.JPG

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I have a few hundred that came from an old trophy shop. They ranged from the 1950's to 1980's. When the mood hits me I can put 30 to 50 on Ebay pretty fast. They have gone to car guys all over the world, popular in Germany.

I get $8-$12 each including shipping. After fees; 5,6,7 bucks in my pocket. Sold about $350 worth according to my spreadsheet. And maybe 200 left.

Many will throw stuff away or claim they won't waste their time. It's like all these $5 bills lying around the garage. An old friend used to have coffee with me in the afternoon. He used to tell me I was wasting my time farting around with that junk. I can't remember him having the money for coffee, though. I always paid.

Oh, the coffee friend, he really had a case of the blind stutters when he found out what I got for an empty car model box.

"Never usurp a buyers right to purchase by throwing things away"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I have a few hundred that came from an old trophy shop. They ranged from the 1950's to 1980's....

I get $8-$12 each including shipping.  After fees; 5,6,7 bucks in my pocket.

That's good enterprise, Bernie.  I'm surprised at

the value some will ascribe to those plaques.

Seeing older dash plaques, I notice that the quality

was much higher than for most of today's.  They were

often brass, and the design was often in a low relief.

Typically, most were only one color atop the brass, but

they give an impression of excellent quality.

1 hour ago, John348 said:

Bob,

I would tend to agree, but I am always surprised what people collect and why 

I'd like to know the reasoning behind "Book Collectors" who pay $50.00 + for a First Edition when Barns & Noble will sell a new one for $20.00. I fully understand paying  $100.00 for an original prewar car sales brochure when a repop brings $20.00. Bob 

• Like 2

I never get to a show early enough to get one. I think I average about one dash plaque for every 5 or 6 shows I go to.  The last show I went to took a pic as you entered the show, then at the end of the show they had the picture in a plastic frame with the car show superimposed. I guess its a good idea, but now I have 2 pictures (one from the last time they did it) of my own car on the shelf!

20 hours ago, John348 said:

I would tend to agree, but I am always surprised what people collect and why 

I have always enjoyed collecting other people's money, even just a few bucks at a time.

Why? Maybe because it never occurred to others it could be done.

• Haha 2

They say you don't get something for nothing, but for my $20.00 and showing my car for your group's enjoyment. I want a dash plaque.

When I was chairing shows, .38 to .58 per dash plaque was in the budget from the $10 registration fee.   Some of them are really special.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using,cutting up the good old brass ones (after 1972) for projects I need some small brass sheet metal for..Aluminum ones are so crummy I tossed them when I got them..

For some reason I used to end up any extras from short attendance car shows..And through the years hand them out to people looking to fill voids in their collections.

I've seen( and you have to) some of the fake collection boards displayed at shows and meets ,like the guy attended every possible meet..

Very funny!

• 2 weeks later...