Taking Bets On When These Spiders Will Hatch ….

Trulyvintage

So I have transported project cars with a few spider egg sacks before …. 🤔

This one I loaded yesterday has DOZENS

all underneath on the chassis …. 🙄

What type of spider 🕷 do you think

laid these eggs ?

How much time before you think before

they might hatch ?

Why again am I hauling Spider Man’s Car ?

Jim

A515B620-858E-4EDB-B715-0D4DA8108F25.jpeg.4ced1efb0fc54ca4a494b2806d428e9e.jpeg

BBF525FA-ED66-4607-859F-D27FAA3CB888.jpeg.402b8e8ab92c856db96347b314b38d1d.jpeg

Could be black widows? Their eggs are similar to that, and the web work is messy like theirs. I did part of my growing up at my grandparent's ranch in Modesto CA, by the time I turned two, I had been taught to watch out for them and where they liked to hide. One of the problems with black widow spiders is that they are deadly when they hatch! As tiny as they are when hatched (there are a lot of them in each egg!), their venom is very potent from the start.

They are not very dangerous really. They much prefer to hide than attack. However, if bitten, one needs to seek medical attention, and soon.

And, maybe they aren't black widows. There are other harmless spiders with similar nests.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

Could be black widows? Their eggs are similar to that, and the web work is messy like theirs. I did part of my growing up at my grandparent's ranch in Modesto CA, by the time I turned two, I had been taught to watch out for them and where they liked to hide. One of the problems with black widow spiders is that they are deadly when they hatch! As tiny as they are when hatched (there are a lot of them in each egg!), their venom is very potent from the start.

They are not very dangerous really. They much prefer to hide than attack. However, if bitten, one needs to seek medical attention, and soon.

And, maybe they aren't black widows. There are other harmless spiders with similar nests.

Wayne 👋

Your observation is spot on

I talked to the guy I am hauling this for.

Turns out he is a licensed pest control contractor.

Many years ago he was crawling on his stomach in a crawl space under a house.

He didn’t realize at the time but he was crawling over newly hatched black widow spiders 🕷 and was repeatedly bitten.

He never felt the bites - when got out of the crawl space his stomach started itching.

He almost died from that incident.

Jim

I had a black widow that I found in the house that I put in a little terrarium and then fed it roaches and flies.  It was interesting to watch it.  I came in one morning and immediately noticed that there were about a hundred little spiders stating to crawl up the sides.  I then decided that this was one mamma and babies that I did not need any more.  I was unsuccessful at finding them a good home so I took them far out in the yard and released them.  As long as they are out of your way they eat a lot of other bugs.

• Like 1

If you're transporting very far I think it would be good to get rid of as many as possible since you don't know what you are transporting to a new home. Might be invasive.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jim Bollman said:

If you're transporting very far I think it would be good to get rid of as many as possible since you don't know what you are transporting to a new home. Might be invasive.

I am the only thing invasive …. 😬

I have to stop at the agricultural inspection

station(s) and they usually look at the car(s) that are in the trailer.

Jim

It's one of the alien being life stages from the 1979 movie "Alien".

Here's a link to the trailer:  https://www.imdb.com/video/vi1497801241?playlistId=tt0078748&ref_=tt_ov_vi

CGI has come a LONG way in 30 years...

Sigourney Weaver was fun to watch in this movie.