Car Lingo You Hate

TAKerry

5 hours ago, 28 Chrysler said:

Then instead of CCs using teaspoons has impressive numbers

318 cid = 1,056 tsp

350 cid = 7,488 tsp 

396 cid = 13,248 tsp

426 cid = 14,208 tsp

My wife saw an ad for a Nissan 280s and asked me why they called it a 28 ounce car.True story.

23 hours ago, Jim Skelly said:

I forgot about C2, C3, C4, etc., Corvette

That is just an excuse because they really don't know the exact year so they want to feel like they belong. Every time I hear someone say that you can just look at them and tell they have no idea what they are looking at. The Camaro crowd is not much better "1st Gen and  2nd gen" BS

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Every time I see an ad with silly claims, I think of

updating this thread.  So here are a couple more:

---"Bells and whistles."  Maybe it was clever the first

time it was used.  Now it's trite and tells us nothing.

---"It won't last."  An unnecessary claim, because if a

car is well priced, astute buyers don't need to be persuaded.

Sometimes this is said only to make people THINK the car

is a bargain.  A private seller priced his excellent 1976

Buick Electra 2-door sedan at over $30,000 and said

"it won't last."  Months later, it's still lasting!

• Haha 3

While I generally don't "Hate" anyone or anything and I or someone might've already mentioned it on this thread, but one of the most often used (idiotic ?) misnomer in the car lingo appears to be "Emergency or E-brake" (???). 

Every time I hear or see it being used, not only it makes me cringe, but also tells me the individual using it is not very intelligent about cars or their technical aspects.

And before some clown comments about the use of Parking Brake (also often referred as Hand Brake) being potentially* helpful/useful to slow down or stop in case the vehicles operational/service brakes unexpectedly fail, it isn't/wasn't designed or intended for such use ...

* I've personally experienced a sudden, complete loss of "operational/service" brakes while driving (someone else's) 1955 Chrysler 300, going downhill (on a mountain road) at about 35-40 MPH (& gaining speed), but after attempting to slow/stop the car with the hand/parking brake and also shifting the (automatic) transmission to low gear, neither proved helpful/useful.

Next idea was to crash the car a.s.a.p. (= before it picked up more speed going further down the hill), but options for that were quite limited (= high/steep embankment on the left, gas station little further down on the right and sharp, right-hand turn of the road 1/8-1/4 mile further down the hill or big trees at that turn...

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, TTR said:

While I generally don't "Hate" anyone or anything and I or someone might've already mentioned it on this thread, but one of the most often used (idiotic ?) misnomer in the car lingo appears to be "Emergency or E-brake" (???). 

Every time I hear or see it being used, not only it makes me cringe, but also tells me the individual using it is not very intelligent about cars or their technical aspects.

And before some clown comments about the use of Parking Brake being potentially* helpful/useful to slow down or stop in case the vehicles operational brakes unexpectedly fail, it isn't/wasn't designed or intended for such use ...

* I've personally experienced a sudden, complete loss of brakes while driving (someone else's) 1955 Chrysler 300, going downhill (in the mountains) at about 35-40 MPH and attempted to slow/stop the car with the parking brake and shifting the transmission to first gear, but to no avail with either ... 

Put out by Wagner Brakes, something to make you mad about.

IN CASE OF EMERGENCY…

Driving-Pushing-Hazard-Button

Having to park your vehicle on a hill can be nerve wracking. Will your car be there when you return? Will it roll away? This isn’t something you want to leave to chance – you don’t want your vehicle to potentially be a danger to others.

Did you know that your vehicle is equipped with a safety system that, when activated, can help keep your vehicle in place? Read on to learn about your vehicle’s emergency brake and when it should be used.

WHAT IS THE EMERGENCY BRAKE?

Driver-Pulling-Emergency-Brake

Part of your vehicle’s brake system, the emergency brake operates independently of the main brake system to keep your vehicle from rolling away. Also known as a parking brake, hand brake and e-brake, the emergency brake was originally designed to be used if the vehicle’s main braking system would fail. 

However, in today’s vehicles, the parking brake doesn’t have enough stopping power to bring the car to a halt. The parking brake now is mainly used to keep the vehicle in place when parked.

HOW DOES THE E-BRAKE WORK?

The emergency brake bypasses your vehicle’s hydraulic brake system to lock the wheels in place. This mechanical system uses cables that are attached to the emergency brake lever. When engaged on cars with drum brakes, the cables pull another lever that puts pressure on the brake shoes to hold the vehicle.

On cars with disc brakes, applying the parking brake activates a corkscrew mechanism that pushes a piston into the brake pads to stop the vehicle.

TYPES OF PARKING BRAKES

There are four main types of parking brakes that you may encounter:

Pedal-Icon

Pedal – The pedal emergency brake is a small pedal that is positioned on the floor and to the left of the gas, brake and clutch pedals. Press down on the pedal until you hear it click to engage it. Pull the lever above the foot pedal to release the brake.

Center-Lever-Icon

Center lever – Popular on late-model vehicles with bucket seats, this type of parking brake is found between the seats. Simply pull up the lever to engage the emergency brake. To release the brake, press the button on the end and push down on the stick.

Push-Button-Icon

Push button – Located with the other console controls, this typically is an electronic system. Engaging and releasing this type of parking brake is as easy as pushing the button on the console.

Stick-Lever-Icon

Stick lever – Found in many older vehicles, the stick lever emergency brake is commonly found under the instrument panel.

WHEN SHOULD I USE THE PARKING BRAKE?

Car-Parked-On-Hill

Many people have the misconception that you only need to use the parking brake if you park on a hill or if your vehicle has a manual transmission. The truth is that you should always use your parking brake. Whether you drive an automatic or a stick shift, or park on a hill or flat spot, using your emergency brake is good habit to develop.

Using the parking brake on a regular basis helps keep it in proper working order. When you don’t use the emergency brake, it can corrode and you won’t know there is a problem until you really need it.

By engaging the parking brake each and every time you park, you can be assured that your vehicle won’t roll away. It adds another level of security and reduces stress on the transmission and driveline parts.

If you do suffer a complete loss of your brakes, slowly apply the emergency brake. While your parking brake is mainly used to hold your car in place, it can help you safely bring your vehicle to a stop in an emergency situation. Just keep in mind that it won’t bring your vehicle to a sudden stop; it can just help you slowly bring it to a stop.

WHEN SHOULD I LAY OFF THE EMERGENCY BRAKE?

There is one situation you should never use your hand brake. While it’s fun to watch movies like The Fast & Furious and dream about doing those crazy tricks, leave the stunt driving to the professionals. Never use your hand brake to perform a drift maneuver.

Learn more about quality brake parts, find your car part, or find where to buy your auto part today.

The content contained in this article is for entertainment and informational purposes only and should not be used in lieu of seeking professional advice from a certified technician or mechanic. We encourage you to consult with a certified technician or mechanic if you have specific questions or concerns relating to any of the topics covered herein. Under no circumstances will we be liable for any loss or damage caused by your reliance on any content.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

People of a certain age always used "Emergency Brake". Taken in the context of prewar cars, it is more correct. Take a Model T Ford for instance. If it does not have accessory "Rocky Mountain" brakes, the service brake is on the driveshaft and if you break an axle, the nearly useless brakes (no lining) on the back wheels are all you have. I was reading an owners manual for some non-Ford brass or early nickel car a couple months ago that had 2 wheel drums with external contracting bands attached to the brake pedal and internal expanding shoes attached to the lever. In a panic stop or runaway situation, you were advised to use the pedal and the lever simultaneously to get maximum braking. if that isn't an emergency brake I don't know what is. When hydraulic brakes came along, it was well understood that you could lose them due to a hydraulic failure, and no doubt many people argued mechanical brakes were better because this couldn't happen. A driver with hydraulic brakes would have been well aware of his emergency brake. Hudson used to have a mechanical backup on their hydraulic brakes. If you lost the hydraulics and the pedal went too low, the mechanical brakes would engage. As I recall, it was advertised as a safety feature. And the mechanical brakes they used for that? I believe they were the same ones the ratcheting handle pulled.

Common use of the term "Parking Brake" is definitely from a more recent era. Most emergency brakes are fairly useless if the car has any speed on, but it is better than nothing. Prewar drivers were a lot less concerned about brakes altogether. Speed limits were fairly low, and cars were low geared, resulting in a lot of engine braking. A good driver was expected to descend a hill in the same gear he would climb it in, resulting in even more engine braking. In the early 30s some makes offered "free wheeling" to save gas. This quickly turned into a fiasco because even the service brakes could not be expected to stop the car effectively in the mountains without the help of the engine, never mind the emergency brake. By the mid 30s free wheeling was considered very unsafe, and most on them were disabled. Parking was often done by leaving the car in gear, or by turning the wheels against the curb when there was one. Many cities required turning the wheel to the curb. Of course you would use the brake too if you were parked on a hill. I'm not sure anyone of my parents age would have trusted the ratchet mechanism enough to let the brake to hold the car all by itself.

Although no doubt someone was using the term in the 30s or before, "Parking Brakes" mostly became necessary because some early automatic transmissions do not have a parking pawl, and require a parking brake to park. Automatics are mostly a postwar thing. That probably had something to do with the common use changing. That, and the fact that they aren't really worth much in an emergency, especially at today's speeds. If any automaker dared call one an emergency brake today the lawsuits would be never ending.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Pete O said:

Reminds me of the Toyota Tacoma Turd  (TRD) 

Better than what NISSAN had planned for American bound cars. Seems Mr. K. knew the Fairlady Z name wouldn't go over in this country very well so.........the 240Z.

Mr. Katayama was a Japanese equivalent of Americans like Bunkie Knudsen, John DeLorean, Duntov, and Iacocca. Very much harder to do and succeed in Japanese culture. He was a hero, and a man of his word and a CAR guy!   

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

20 hours ago, TTR said:

Next idea was to crash the car a.s.a.p. (= before it picked up more speed going further down the hill), but options for that were quite limited (= high/steep embankment on the left, gas station little further down on the right and sharp, right-hand turn of the road 1/8-1/4 mile further down the hill or big trees at that turn...

...and then?....and then?   Don't leave us hangin' like a 1940's serial!

cliff1.jpg.bdae6fff8ca305fcde055bfdc13fc2aa.jpg

In reply to a few of you on page 7, when my niece from Pennsylvania (who is now 32!) was a little kid, she asked her Mom, why do we have to go SOUTH to get to North Carolina?  She is now a teacher...

Edited by 63RedBrier (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Guys (and Gals), I just spent way too much nonproductive time following these 10 pages of "Squirrel" off topic diversions. I concur with many of the irritating words but one that tops my list is a combination of RESTORE and ORIGINAL. Some time ago a was dismayed at an ad for a 1919 Dodge Brothers touring 'Professionally Restored to Original' with Green metallic paint and green leatherette upholstery. Needless to say, that sent my blood pressure up. 

Yes, some of us do make typographical errors including symbols but that simply means we are alive!

I agree with the concept of some words like 'ORIGINAL' and 'RESTORE' but what irritates me is the Pre and Post adverb descriptors like 'Professional' or 'Amateur' which seems to try to divert attention from the verb to the person or the ability of said person to accomplish that process. The question is " Is it Restored or is it Not? 

And to further the point by rephrasing that trite saying "it can only be ORIGINAL once"! I dare say there are seriously VERY few cars that are still in the condition and outfitting that it was when it left the factory. The process of retrofitting and removing years of wear and deterioration is then what is called

RESTORING.

Restore.jpg.87a2d99e3a37d0022ddc95e7e703f6d6.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Wrong picture,

No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die! - MagicalQuoteimage.jpeg.49f1c271f041249b8985c15ed773242c.jpeg

I made my earlier comment in jest, referring to this particular scene (similar to one posted prior to it) and appears that at least one person "got it". 😉

Guys, Guys, Why is it so hard to keep these threads on point? What the %^&^ does a vintage James Bond movie reference have to do with the initial query "What auto related words or phrases do you dislike seeing or hearing"??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Getting back on topic, I dislike the term "ride' used for a car. Add "whip" to that list. I referred to my various motorcycles over the 35+ years that I rode them as "bikes." To each their own, but I always refer to my truck or SUV as a truck, not a car. Except that my Flex is a CUV, so it gets called a car.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 2:51 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

I saw that claim recently, too, about a car for sale.

"Won't last long."  Yet the car was for sale by some

unknowledgeable person who had it far overpriced!

I kept thinking, "Yes, it will, yes it will!"  It will last

a long time until he comes to grips with reality.

"priced to stay"

😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, I read through the whole durn thread, and I think I can add a few fresh terms...

"Cammer" - referring to an overhead-cam engine ( Which have been around almost as long as the automobile, certainly pre-WW I. )

"Sympathetically Restored" -  Now, I am pretty confident this is more MadisonAv marketing babble than real car speak, but what in the world does this even mean???   It first came to my attention when a certain well-known ( notorious, to some ) restorer purchased the 1925 Hudson Super-Six sedan that became the Joad family truck for the 1940 movie "The Grapes of Wrath".    After the film was completed, the rear section of the sedan's body was sat back on the chassis, and the car tucked-away for decades.  Finally, it comes-up for sale not too many years ago, said restorer buys it, and instead of returning the car to its film appearance, or restoring it to its factory sedan configuration, they "sympathetically restore it" to a [fantasy] red racing car, complete with a tapering tail-section, a la Marmon Wasp.  Said restorer then flipped his Franken-car.

I REALLY got bent out of shape over this travesty... in the movie, and even more so in John Steinbeck's book, the Hudson car / truck is a major character in the story, stopping  just short of being anthropomorphized (had to spell-check that one three times!).  It immortalized on film the countless jalopies that trundled thousands of mid-Western farmers & everything they could load-in / tie-onto / drag behind the poor vehicle, and leave their drought-stricken, fore-closed dustbowl farms and literally seek greener pastures. Check out Dorothea Lange's and Margaret Bourke White's 1930's photos of dustbowl migrants.

If you want to play master carrosserie, go find a corpse with less significance to reanimate.

( I guess I'm still pretty hot about it.... 😶 )

Back to the lingo topic, I would attribute much of today's "car speak/slang" to: writers for automotive periodicals, and TV car shows... ( Thank you, Top Gear for introducing "Merk" to American audiences! )

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/28/2022 at 4:58 PM, De Soto Frank said:

Well, I read through the whole durn thread, and I think I can add a few fresh terms...

"Cammer" - referring to an overhead-cam engine ( Which have been around almost as long as the automobile, certainly pre-WW I. )

"Sympathetically Restored" -  Now, I am pretty confident this is more MadisonAv marketing babble than real car speak, but what in the world does this even mean???   It first came to my attention when a certain well-known ( notorious, to some ) restorer purchased the 1925 Hudson Super-Six sedan that became the Joad family truck for the 1940 movie "The Grapes of Wrath".    After the film was completed, the rear section of the sedan's body was sat back on the chassis, and the car tucked-away for decades.  Finally, it comes-up for sale not too many years ago, said restorer buys it, and instead of returning the car to its film appearance, or restoring it to its factory sedan configuration, they "sympathetically restore it" to a [fantasy] red racing car, complete with a tapering tail-section, a la Marmon Wasp.  Said restorer then flipped his Franken-car.

I REALLY got bent out of shape over this travesty... in the movie, and even more so in John Steinbeck's book, the Hudson car / truck is a major character in the story, stopping  just short of being anthropomorphized (had to spell-check that one three times!).  It immortalized on film the countless jalopies that trundled thousands of mid-Western farmers & everything they could load-in / tie-onto / drag behind the poor vehicle, and leave their drought-stricken, fore-closed dustbowl farms and literally seek greener pastures. Check out Dorothea Lange's and Margaret Bourke White's 1930's photos of dustbowl migrants.

If you want to play master carrosserie, go find a corpse with less significance to reanimate.

( I guess I'm still pretty hot about it.... 😶 )

Back to the lingo topic, I would attribute much of today's "car speak/slang" to: writers for automotive periodicals, and TV car shows... ( Thank you, Top Gear for introducing "Merk" to American audiences! )

You brought up another one to mind.

Ford did one to itself for American audiences. Ford named a car built in Germany for Lincoln Mercury called Merkur. Even though Merkur in German means Mercury most Americans didn't know that. image.jpeg.e38ca0bbe12edaec72dc677125afcbce.jpeg

• Like 1