My "new" 1930 Pierce Arrow

Joe Cocuzza

This leather is 93 years old and I am doing my best to preserve what's left of it.

The cracks are still there but it is now soft and I think with a few more (:unsure:20-30:unsure:) applications I might be satisfied with the end result

DSCF5806.JPG.384a99ce2dbbe29bb0254dfd1fb8eea7.JPG

Edited by Joe Cocuzza (see edit history)
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

"Working" the leather (and working, and working.....)

It's turning out okay - for what it is.........

Left side cushion is done

Right side cushion needs more "attention"

Also, I will need to address the tears in the cushions so they don't get worse - if that's possible.

DSCF5822.JPG

DSCF5821.JPG

DSCF5820.JPG

DSCF5819.JPG

Edited by Joe Cocuzza
Add content (see edit history)
  • Like 6

34 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I've talked about this before.  My dad was a huge believer in Lexol.  All of his cars got the treatment once a year.  I have two cars in my care that have 60 plus year old interiors and they look like new.

Thats good to hear. I have always thought that Lexol was a great product. I was at a show and talking with a lady in her 190SL and she said that product was the worst she ever used, said it dried out the leather? I wasnt sure she knew what she was talking about.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Been a LOOOOOOOOOOOng time since updating.

A few pics of the Pierce taken today while pulling it out of the garage - (no, it is NOT running yet) - just wanted to back it into the garage

instead of front end in first.

image.jpeg.01464097dcad763ea85da35bf557da22.jpegimage.jpeg.7f071077a2761d924517e8d875966a0e.jpegimage.jpeg.377abea93f96b043bd4e73d415efd1a8.jpegimage.jpeg.7dd67aad5272f86c65249b2d07114d71.jpeg

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

Come on man! You have got to get that thing on the road!

I know, life gets in the way. What a great automobile!

It will be (if all goes according to plan) on the road by mid-summer.

• Like 2

I want to ask the opinion(s) of the "experts" on here.

I know I have been "advised" on how to proceed on this but I am 50/50 so I will put it to a "Poll"

And, I know it is all a matter of personal preference(s) - BUT

What would look best on this car?

Wide Whitewalls

OR

Blackwalls

I think because of the "vibrant" colors of the car that Blackwalls would look okay - but what do I know

Can someone here use one of the new pics I just posted and somehow "replace" the whitewalls with blackwalls and post it here -  (using an app or program of some sort)

Then I can get a true "feel" of what it would look like.

If I am putting new tires on this car I have to be certain I will like the way they look because I cannot afford a $3000.00 error in judgement.

Not my best work, but quick and dirty and gives you an idea of how it would look. I am a new convert to blackwalls and have grown to really appreciate the subtlety. You have bright trim rings, so that makes all the difference. Add in the lower maintenance and cheaper buy-in, and I think it's a no-brainer.

Pierce.jpg.db1bb8a9c8b16668fda8156d8458ddaf.jpg

• Like 9

I look at photos of when I first got my Lincoln and it had whitewalls and it looks odd to me now. You'll definitely get accustomed to it.

• Like 1

I usually like black walls but here I think the white works. In the back the highlighted wheel accentuates the sloping, colored rear beltline. Overall the whitewalls de-emphasizes the black fenders, splash aprons, etc and balances the light top. The open side-mount helps by placing light color diagonally opposite the closed top in profile. I consider this design to be a little flashy like a '28 Auburn so whites work. It's not a Packard....😁

Joe…….your car could go either way, but once you spend an hour cleaning each white wall wheel……you will wish for black walls.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I look at photos of when I first got my Lincoln and it had whitewalls and it looks odd to me now. You'll definitely get accustomed to it.

Welcome to the dark side young Matt.

The way I explain it now is that every additional color you add to a car is distracting.   A black top on that car and you will really be cooking.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think whitewalls look fine on certain cars. I kinda expect to see them on higher end stuff and like Ed mentioned I think either looks good on this Pierce. But Ed put down exactly what I was thinking when I saw this with black tires. The whitewalls look nice but I sure would hate to clean them.

My vote is Black.

I get what Ed and others are saying BUT.....

I put both pictures side-by-side and it is a really confusing decision - my eyes are so trained in seeing whitewalls - AAAARRRRGH!!!!

Prewarnut makes good points,too.

I know that ultimately the decision is mine but it ain't easy......

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

1 minute ago, Joe Cocuzza said:

I put both pictures side-by-side and it is a really confusing decision - my eyes are so trained in seeing whitewalls - AAAARRRRGH!!!!

Sounds like you have made up your mind. Go ahead and get the whitewalls. They will look fine and you will regret not having them until the next time tires are due.

5 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Sounds like you have made up your mind. Go ahead and get the whitewalls. They will look fine and you will regret not having them until the next time tires are due.

Actually I really haven't made a definitive decision - but I will (eventually)

As far as "the next time tires are due" that won't be on my watch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I like whitewalls, but I think I am in the minority position on this. Good luck with your decision. Either will be good. There is no wrong decision 

Edited by CChinn (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

A black top on that car and you will really be cooking.

The car color does affect the choice and look of the car BUT so does the color of the top, also if the side mounted tires have covers on them etc.

My advice is stay with the white walls, on the side mounted spares get metal or canvas covers in black to match the fenders.  . those changes will make a huge difference. The wheel shape is a sphere - this can be a bullseye to attract your eye to. this is especially true on cars with rim size at 20 inches or more, also wire or wood wheels will also affect the appearance overall.

• Like 3

Either way, it's a gorgeous car.

Your car could go with either one and look great.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Joe Cocuzza said:

Joe..... hold strong. These Blackwell zealots will soon have you only putting air from Buffalo NY in your tires. 

look what happened to Sandra Dee once she started hanging out with Rizzo.   

that slippery slope.........

but if those blackwall guys want to start a go fund me page for your tires, let them.

• Haha 4

Once you go black (wall) you’ll never go back. 😉

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, alsancle said:

A black top on that car and you will really be cooking.

I think the light color top and white walls are too many light colors. If the top was black then you could go either way on the tires. It's a long top. That's just my two cents. Jacks looks nice with the whites since his body color is the entire car.

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Once you go black (wall) you’ll never go back. 😉

My Pierce has wide whites while my Rickenbacker has blackwalls.

All depends on the car.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...