My 1960 LeSabre 2 door Hardtop

TexRiv_63

13 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

So do I but the Diamondbacks are no longer built on Toyo tires.

it’s really hard to find Whitewalls any more. I bought Hankooks for my Cadillac but they have skinny whitewalls. They were the only non Coker tire I found.

Don, you might look at Tire Rack and see if they have anything. 

Thanks, I will check Tire Rack.

1 hour ago, old-tank said:

Right.  They are now building on Nexen tires, a low end $80 tire at Walmart and Discount tire.  For more money they offer a 'bias look Auburn radial tire'. The Auburn tire has a squared off sidewall edge and a friend reports that they catch the grooves in the road like a bias tire :o.  For even more money they will build on any tire you specify.

My 6 year old Diamondbacks built on Toyo developed a pull to the right that was corrected by rotating to the back.  I can drive locally, but will have to replace before the next road trip if not sooner.

With the prices and selection now, I may just go with skinny white walls or black walls like I grew up with.

Their Nexen tire is currently $96 at Discount Tire, so Diamondback is charging $143 per tire to add the whitewall, it does seem like crazy money. I did look at the Auburn and wondered about the exact issue you describe. I'm also concerned about the pulling problem you mention, has anyone else run into this? I thought about the other options you mention too but if there was ever a car that screams for wide whites it is the 60!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TexRiv_63 said:

I'm also concerned about the pulling problem you mention, has anyone else run into this?

The pulling is a common problem on old radials and is the first clue that they are breaking down internally.  Next will be balance problems and wiggly/woggly ride and if ignored total destruction of the tire with the cap coming off.  I have bought budget radials in the past and they lack sidewall integrity and need more air pressure to correct understeer progressing to oversteer, but giving a harsher ride.  The Nexen tires may be OK, but if not, I will be out $20 per tire for mounting and balancing even if Diamonback takes them back and gives a refund.  I want good tires, not just a pretty tire.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2021 at 10:47 AM, old-tank said:

With the prices and selection now, I may just go with skinny white walls or black walls like I grew up with.

After considering this for a week, I started thinking about blackwalls mostly because I have been a big booster of using them on pre-war cars since the vast majority of those cars did not have whitewalls when they were new. My dad bought a new 1960 Ford and it had blackwall tires but he always went for low-content cars. When 1960 Buicks were new I wonder what percentage of them came with wide whites? So I tried some very amateur photo retouching and was actually surprised to see the blackwalls don't look too bad! What do you think?

1.jpg

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.jpg

5.JPG

6.jpg

• Like 3

It looks better with the wide whites, particularly like the ones in the picture. They are a little narrower than often seen now, but still go at the way to the rim. That was the style in the late 50s through about 1961.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You know, you see someone who uses a jack stand when they clean their whitewalls and you just know they aren't a listener.

hub1.jpg.5fb7408f14aef988a078860c5a4746c3.jpg

My set is 10 years old and I will replace them next year. They were about $850 when I bought them. The next set will be 8.00's instead of the 8.20's I have been using. And I will go for the 1960 correct slightly narrower whitewall. I expect to pay $1300 this time. That's a hundred bucks a year to get me to 83 years old. At least my income isn't fixed like it was when I was getting a monthly pay check. I'll dig around in my garage and sell some stuff so other hobbyists can finance them.

Blackwalls on a '50's or '60's Buick, nah. That's a Chevy Biscayne thing.

Jan Sherwood would have come home with blackwalls, but not my Grandma O'Brien.

I hadn't noticed the mention of my Bugle article in this topic. It has been 20 years since I bought that car to part out. Transmission rebuild this Spring cost three times what I paid for the car. Still haven't done any paintwork. Maybe this Fall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I posted my blackwall photos I will admit my tongue was at least partially in my cheek and your responses are very much as expected. Echoing Bernie above I will find a way to get the right look for this car.

Fair warning, I will probably duplicate this tire question in my other thread in the general "Our Cars and Restorations" forum just to see more reactions... 

This past week I delved a bit more into the paint on my car. The dealer I bought it from said they had given it a "cut and buff" and it was definitely bright and shiny when I received it. You could tell by touch that it had no wax protection and I wanted to add that. On close inspection the white front clip is a repaint but an older one in original style lacquer. Not totally sure about the white portions of the doors but all of the red plus the white on the quarters and rear body is much more recent and most likely single stage urethane. The lacquer parts have that totally flat shine from effective blocking and buffing. The red areas are very shiny but up close you can see sanding scratches from a less thorough prep job. I got out my trusty DeWalt right angle buffer and foam pad plus some new wax - Auto Magic "Strawberry Wet Wax". (Supposedly a strawberry fragrance which I did not notice and question the need for it) Using the 600 rpm setting I did all the top surfaces and the white sides. A job like this makes me realize how out of shape I am at almost 73 years old - got into a rythym of doing a couple panels, sitting in a lawn chair by the A/C to catch my breath, a couple more panels, etc. I also did not remember that DeWalt being quite as heavy the last time I used it maybe 3 years ago!

All in all the results look good, great shine and so slick I have to be careful where I set the Windex bottle so it doesn't slip off. The wax was probably a little too wet for my liking but not a big problem. I will come back later and hand wax the bottom red areas and back end but for now I can be less concerned If I park under a tree.

DSCF2461.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

20210826_211712.jpg

20210826_211721.jpg

20210826_211731.jpg

20210826_211742.jpg

20210826_211753.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

As mentioned in my Our cars and Restorations thread for my other car, (1966 Dodge Monaco wagon) I have a long to do list for that car but with that plus this giant Buick and our daily in the garage there was no way to do long term repair projects. After waiting on the list for a while I finally was able to secure a storage garage last week so the Buick is now safe inside under cover. It is very close to the house so I will still exercise it weekly. I am looking for a nice set of rear wheel well stainless moldings for the Buick, I have them on the front but the PO did not mount the rears as he liked fender skirts - which I absolutely HATE. I am assuming all rear wheel well moldings are the same, please advise if I am incorrect.

002.JPG

DSCF3275.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The one glaring spot in my interior is the drivers side door armrest patched with very attractive red duct tape. I posted on the Facebook group for suggestions on recovering but got generic "take it to a trim shop" responses. Has anyone actually done one of these who can share photos and specifics on how it is done? My main concern is how the foam underneath is handled if it crumbles from age. Thanks in advance.

20210823_132553.jpg

I would be inclined to believe a thin foam sheet can be purchased at a fabric store as well as the red vinyl.    Use spray glue for the foam to adhere to the metal portion of the armrest.  Then spray glue the vinyl to the foam.   Also, with the armrest off there probably is tacks or something securing the edges vinyl to the armrest.  And, if it does not look so good you can take it all off and try again.  I'm also thinking a trim shop could complete the job in an afternoon for you.   First step to any of this is removing the panel.  Not that hard.   

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Looks great!  The nailhead runs smooth.    You keep her in a storage unit?  I used one for a while.  Hated having to drive to car to drive!  Finally got a 2 car garage for both of my Buicks.  Enjoy!  

I have a tight three car garage but right now need two of the bays for repairs on my 66 Monaco. I'm lucky in that this storage place is only about 5 minutes from my house.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2021 at 11:02 PM, Smartin said:

The intake plug is a core plug that is in the bottom of the intake, and it covers the exhaust crossover passage.  They have a tendency to rust out and cause a massive exhaust leak.  Only way to fix is to remove intake and replace core plug.  Matt Martin has replacements.

OK, I had that problem on my 63 Riv but had the seller repair it before I bought the car. I don't think I have the problem with the 60, that video did not sound like the actual engine running but picked up some other sound.

Great video!! Cool to see one powering on down the road. I know I'm late to the party but I loved the black tires on the 60. I've always hated whitewalls AND skirts!!  Lol  I think you should go with the middle ground and get raised white letter tires..  I can hear panties getting bunched up already! 

If that intake tab is bad, yanking a nailhead intake is easy after having 40 years of Chevy's. IMO

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, protrash63 said:

Great video!! Cool to see one powering on down the road. I know I'm late to the party but I loved the black tires on the 60. I've always hated whitewalls AND skirts!!  Lol  I think you should go with the middle ground and get raised white letter tires..  I can hear panties getting bunched up already! 

If that intake tab is bad, yanking a nailhead intake is easy after having 40 years of Chevy's. IMO

I went thru a long white letter tire period but am done with that. Unfortunately for my pocketbook wide whites are the only tire for this car.

DSCF7085.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I took the Buick out for a ride and some fresh gas yesterday and was again very impressed with how well it rides and handles. It has a full set of "Cure Ride" shock absorbers on it, they are definitely not new bit I have no idea of their true age. It's a name I remember but I don't think they are still around, does anyone know their history and exactly what type of shocks they are?

2 hours ago, TexRiv_63 said:

I took the Buick out for a ride and some fresh gas yesterday and was again very impressed with how well it rides and handles. It has a full set of "Cure Ride" shock absorbers on it, they are definitely not new bit I have no idea of their true age. It's a name I remember but I don't think they are still around, does anyone know their history and exactly what type of shocks they are?

DISCUSSION

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1