Saw this gorgeous 1967 Mercury Cougar yesterday at the post office....

keiser31

16 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

It's that time of year again where the nice older cars are appearing around here....

Keiser, where is "here"?

Since our locations were dropped from the

information below our user photos, I believe

we have to go back and edit our profiles 

to re-enter our locations.

Around me, there's still too much snow around

for collector-car outings.  Knowing locations

makes people's postings more understandable.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Are those Olds wheels?

I had a momentary Cougar phase that I got out of when I realized all the Cougar guys had a Mustang inferiority complex as well as naming their cars like they were boats.

Not Olds. Look aftermarket to me.

BOP A-body guys get accused of having Chevelle inferiority complexes esp if they stick a Chevy engine in their car.

I say, if you wanted a Chevelle why didn't you buy one to start with?🤔 Seems like you're a BOP wannabe!

And then the fight starts!

🤣😛

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Keiser, where is "here"?

Since our locations were dropped from the

information below our user photos, I believe

we have to go back and edit our profiles 

to re-enter our locations.

Around me, there's still too much snow around

for collector-car outings.  Knowing locations

makes people's postings more understandable.

In Phoenix, OREGON about 22 miles north of the California/Oregon border just off of Interstate 5. I just edited my profile to reflect so.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• keiser31 changed the title to Saw this gorgeous 1967 Mercury Cougar yesterday at the post office....
31 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Not Olds. Look aftermarket to me.

BOP A-body guys get accused of having Chevelle inferiority complexes esp if they stick a Chevy engine in their car.

I say, if you wanted a Chevelle why didn't you buy one to start with?🤔 Seems like you're a BOP wannabe!

And then the fight starts!

🤣😛

If they're not Olds, they're mighty close - look like they even have the rocket badge on the center cap.

(Addendum: This is not a wheel on the Cougar, just a pic from the net to show an Olds wheel.  I did blow up the Cougar pic and its wheels look the same.)

114056.jpg

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)

When I was searching for a newer car for high school (newer than my 1931 Dodge coupe), my Dad took me up to the local Stark Hickey Ford dealership in Royal Oak, Michigan. He wanted to show me a Cougar. It was dark green metallic with a black vinyl roof and had these weird badges on it that said, "Dan Gurney Special". It was a four speed and was in perfect condition. I told my Dad that I was a Chrysler guy (since he worked for Chrysler and had indoctrinated me into them) and I was looking at a 1968 Road Runner instead. I knew who Dan Gurney was, of course, but I had no idea that the Cougar was a rare option. I enjoyed my Road Runner, but often think about that DGS Cougar....

• Like 2

No way would I have a Mustang inferiority complex by owning an early Cougar. I'd have to work real hard to keep myself from getting a superiority complex. 😄 Some people seem to see Cougars as just a variation of a Mustang. I have no idea how true that is or isn't in a structural or practical sense, but I personally think they have a very different look. Great for someone who wanted something between a Mustang and a 4th gen or earlier T-Bird (in a visual sense.)  Harwood had a beautiful green original '69 that I drooled over...but alas I'm poor due to previous car expenditures. Thanks for the great pictures, Keiser31.

• Like 3

You are right James, I feel the same.  Much nicer appointments in the Cougar plus the styling upgrades of hideaway headlamps, sequential turn signals, etc.  Also, most think it is simply a reskinned Mustang but the wheel base is actually 3 inches longer on the Cougar.

2 hours ago, keiser31 said:

In Phoenix, OREGON about 22 miles north of the California/Oregon border just off of Interstate 5. I just edited my profile to reflect so.

From all the pix you post, it sure seems to have more than its share of cool cars for a town of ~4,600.  😁

The Cougar is nice but the silver color on that car just doesn't do it for me (and I've owned a silver vehicle in the past).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve9 said:

I miss my 69 XR7 convertible. Candy apple red with white leather buckets and white top. Chick magnet! Mustangs were nice but the Cougar had it over on them. Question; did any other pony cars of that era get leather seats as an option?

the Mustang Pony Interior in '65 and '66 was leather, then Challenger SE in '70

• Like 1

I never was a Mustang person but the first model Cougars made me drool. Still like the looks of them. I've been offered a one owner 69 Mustang coupe that is setting in a heated building and is still available. Not interested but if it was a Cougar it would probably already be in our garage. 

• Like 1

I think I've told this story a few times.  Back in HS (class of 82) we had car guys that fell in to distinct groups.

1.  Chevy Camaro guys - we had a few guys with 69-71 Camaros.

2.  GTO guys - that was me and my non-running 69,  and some guys from the next town over that actually had some really cool 66 cars.

3.  The Cougar guys.    We had 4 guys with 67/68 Cougars.   I'm thinking they were all 289/auto cars.   Each of these dudes wore feather dusters to school.

Steve - there were no mustang guys, believe it or not.  I don't remember a single one.

• Like 1