Fires in SoCal- what to take, what to leave

29 Chandler

Since last Sunday we have had a major wildfire near our neighborhood (Bobcat Fire). Our section of town near the mountains has been put on pre-evacuation orders for almost a week. We are packed and ready to go. So humbling to go through your house and decide what you want to keep and what you can live without. Trust me I know how fortunate that we even have a chance to make a decision.

Between our house and my in laws we have three non-running classic cars that we have trailered to a secure parking lot at my work just over a mile away further away from the fires. In the garage we still have our 1914 Chandler that I will start up and drive out if needed. But sadly we would have to leave behind three cars that either don't have wheels and tires (restoration in process) and two cars that will just take a lot of effort and time to pull out of the back of the garage.

After reading so many times about others that have gone through this I have a new appreciation for their pain. I am sure this will influence my buying choices going forward.

The smoke has been the worst part for us so far. The mountains near us have not burned since 1957 so there is a lot of dangerous fuel built up. The 'official' plan is to let it burn till it gets closer to the houses. There are hundreds of firefighters on duty. The air support in the last few days has been impressive. A couple of days ago we had at one time a c130, DC9, and a DC10 laying down a line of fire retardant. Those pilots are very brave!

Watching on TV you don't get a sense of how stressful and tiring the whole ordeal can be. Day in and day out thick smoke at times and tall flames consuming the hills above town. Looky-loos driving through the neighborhood to see all the activity. I'll be happy when this is all over, assuming the fire is able to stay in the hills.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you haven't already, take video of anything you will eventually claim on any insurance policy.

Should the items have a serial number, be sure to record that as well.

Store that video off-site so it can't be destroyed or damaged by the fire.

Hope you guys stay safe from the fires. It is rough trying to decide what to take and then when you get back dealing with the cleanup afterwards, even if your place didn't burn.

Dealing with the smoke and ash can be a pretty big task.

Everything smelled like smoke for weeks. Both inside and outside the house.

The ash killed a bunch of our plants outside and we had a ton of strange weeds pop up everywhere on our property in the weeks that followed.

There is a bunch of who knows what that is blown around by the fires.

2 hours ago, 29 Chandler said:

Our section of town near the mountains has been put on pre-evacuation orders for almost a week. We are packed and ready to go. So humbling to go through your house and decide what you want to keep and what you can live without....

I feel very sorry for all of the innocent people

in harm's way, and hope your situation ends 

with relief and happiness.

Do you know where you plan to go when you

evacuate?  A relative's house an hour away, a

distant motel, etc.?  Is it possible to make several

trips, while you wait, so that you can get more than

just one carload of your household out of harm's way?

All the best to you, Chris.

I am in North Carolina and we don't have these wildfires. I believe it is important to realize that certain species of plants and animals need a yearly burn to thrive. Fire is an important part of ecology. In my state, the forestry service performs controlled burns. That said, I cannot imagine trying to go through my house to decide what to take and what to leave behind to be burned and or looted.

We have a few options to go to should we need to evacuate, our club (Horseless Carriage Club of Southern CA) has been very supportive.

Wildlife will be the most impacted so far. Its normal for us to see bear, dear, or even mountain lions in the neighborhood. Never an issue as long as you respect their space. The only time there has been an issue is when the media sees them are tries to make a story out of this normal and natural behavior. I expect in the coming months we'll see a lot more activity in the neighborhood.

They say this fire will continue to burn for about a month. Hard to fathom, but having hiked up in the hills its perfectly understandable given all of the fuel.

Our bungalow was built in 1924 mostly of redwood with a wood shake roof. At that time there was a similar fire in the hills behind the neighborhood that lasted for several months. I know its not natural in our ecosystem for the wilderness area not to experience some fire. Our mismanagement or lack of understanding has created the mess (excess fuel) that we are in now. Once this blows through we should be clear of any major fire danger for anther 5-10 years that is the only saving grace at this point.

If there is one lesson I will take to heart is the status of my projects. We have a 1929 Chandler that I should have got running long ago. Had that been done that car too could roll out of the grade easily. I am going back out to the garbage today to continue working on our 1967 MGB GT to get wheels under it so it is ready for the next emergency.

It is sad to read about your situations down there in the US right now. I too live in a rural interface zone between the forest my residential areas. We have removed bushes and trees close to the house. Our home’s exterior is entirely covered in stucco. The roof is all clay baked tiles. I am hopeful these things will help make a difference someday, if needed. 

The thought of deciding what to take or leave behind is torture. A lifetime of memories and possessions. Alas if we have our health, our loved ones and Our friends we can pick up the pieces and rebuild. I tell myself its all just “Stuff”. Yet I know i’d be heartbroken to lose 95% of it all to a wildfire. 

• Like 1

I used to live in the Santa Monica Mountains and fire was a real concern. Had two big fires go through the area when we lived there. Hard, hard choices. Best of luck to you.

One of the fires started while we were away and we couldn't even get back to the house to get things if we wanted. I currently have a hardened (x-ray, water resistant) USB storage device on my key ring with my car keys. On it, in an encrypted file so I don't have to worry if I lose it, are electronic copies of most of my important documents (insurance, wills, trust, password and log in information for all accounts, etc.).

The thought is that I always have that with me so even if something happens to the house while we are away at least we have enough paperwork to get started trying to piece things back together. Now that I think about it, I guess I should add all our family photos which I've digitized to that USB memory device.

• Like 1

For me the hard part would be to corral the cats. Fortunately have not had to evacuate yet (hurricanes). Do have papers and a GTH (aka weekend) bag easily accessible.

Right now I'd hate to be massed in a shelter without masks.

29Chandler, first and formost, we are praying for you. I truly understand what you're going thru. I worked with the North Carolina Forest Service for about 5 years. So, Yes I do know.  I've made several trips out west to help with wildfires it's doesn't usually turn out good for all involved but, let me say this. Don't give up . Always have a plan but don't give up. There are plenty of great men and women out there doing their best. Maybe with enough prayers and some better weather everything will be O.K. I believe we would all be thinking about our classic cars and trucks but, everything can be replaced except for life. Stay safe. Again, I'm praying for you.

18 hours ago, keithb7 said:

It is sad to read about your situations down there in the US right now. I too live in a rural interface zone between the forest my residential areas. We have removed bushes and trees close to the house. Our home’s exterior is entirely covered in stucco. The roof is all clay baked tiles. I am hopeful these things will help make a difference someday, if needed. 

Agree it is very sad and unfortunate, and I feel bad for all of them.

Several municipalities in British Columbia had learned lots from the 2005 fires and later ones, and have outlawed certain combustible building materials and other practices that residents do to their yards. Hopefully, other municipalities will do the same. Some cities and towns, including, Penticton have outlawed those decorative bark chips for good reason.  I look around my neighborhood here, and am surprised how many have made a natural fire path to their front door with that stuff, bordering each side of their sidewalk leading up to their front door from the city sidewalk.  All someone walking past has to do is toss a lit cigarette butt onto those dried out bark chips on a dry, slightly windy day.  

Craig

• Like 1

Aside from the terrible air quality and the ash all over the place it likely our neighborhood may escape the flames. The firefighters have done a really good job so far in keeping the fire in the wilderness area. Its really hard to believe but some idiots have flown a drone in the area where the helicopters  are flying and twice now they have had to break off the attack on the fire.

The fire has now driven much further west past our house than it was yesterday. Which just adds to the smoke in the air.

Cars are pointing to the street and ready to go. Fingers crossed...

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, BucketofBolts said:

Sincerely hope that "29 Chandler" survives these fires with all his vehicles. I am in Sacramento and the air quality is horrible. The smoke is so bad that if you stay outside more than 2 hours you smell like a "smoked ham". 

Thanks! Our son is up in Davis and we talk about the terrible air quality you all have gone through for a while now.