Ebay

broker-len

I sold some things on ebay 10 years ago. Since then it has gotten so much more difficult that I would rather give my extra parts away - or scrap them -  than sell there again. It will take time but, inevitably, their greed will open up an opportunity for someone else. Presumably Facebook is already taking advantage of that. I've no interest in Facebook, don't use it and don't wish to use it but if they can straighten out their operational system it may be just the sort of knife in the back ebay needs.

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Last month we sold a tail light for a grand, and sent it to their Global Shipping Address in Kentucky. They lost the package..........and couldn’t care less. We had tracking and photos of the package, and it’s packing..........we told them we will provided it all to them......and they said, no problem, we will refund the buyers money.......which they did right away. We had our money, and a rare and irreplaceable light is gone forever.......and the buyer is now looking again.....it took I’m years to fine the one he bought from us.

One of the reasons I don't use the global shipping program.  I guess I would be liable since I don't if it gets lost in between,  but the more hands that handle and repackage things,  the better chance of the item getting damaged or as you mentioned come up missing. 

I had one customer tell me he wouldn't buy from me if I used that as he bought an NOS part from a vendor,  they took the item out of the original NOS box,  Flattened the box and repacked the item so it took up less space.  He was pissed as he really wanted the box intact as it was in pristine condition.  

He did end up buying from me and got it just as he saw it in the pictures. 

I have several International buyers that I ship to on a regular basis and they are all happy I'm not part of the shipping program.  Filling out the customs forms,  paying shipping at the post office and uploading the tracking is really not a big deal. 

There is another complaint.  With all the changes,  a customer that buys 60-100 items from me and i upload the tracking.  I have to manually upload it for every item,  though they are all on 1 or 2 invoices.  Would be kind of nice to upload it once for the whole order or atleast per invoice.  Often you get a message as well when you submit 20 or more tracking numbers at once,  that the system is having an issue.  Also happens when you answer a question and send the message.  The next page you get says sorry it's not you it's us.  Well did the message go through?  Now you have to go back and do it all over.  But hey it's a well oiled machine and little things like that aren't worth bringing up I guess. 

• Thanks 1

That's a good question.  I guess sort of the same reason small businesses can't compete with huge conglomerates.  They don't have the budget to advertise from start up to compete with the existing mega company which is already established.  Especially in today's digital world ebay or Amazon are most likely the top hit of any search engine and often an entire page of results.  I think a few people tested the water on a pretty small scale but ebay was just too big to beat.  

Eventually if they push the sellers of old stuff out in favor of the sellers selling new stuff,  which almost looks like their eventual plan,  then a portion of the market may open and the sellers will be available looking for a venue, up as they will no longer be competing for that market.  To know when to make that new start up is the tricky part as well as have the capital to make it happen you are willing to invest and possibly lose it all.

• Like 1

Not a problem.  I just can share what I have experienced,  maybe others have had nothing but rainbows and unicorns but my experience not so much.  Yes there are lots of good customers.  I have several customers that push the limits every time I let them,  enough I have to wait up to a couple of months for them to finish buying and run a $500-$1000 tab.  Not bad if it was just one but i have usually 4 or 5 doing it at once.  It's even worse when they take another week or two to pay.  Sure would be nice to have that money to reinvest sometimes.  Some are exceptional buyers and buy alot, usually running tabs but for maybe a week or so and pay right up as soon as I invoice them.

I'm always happy to answer any questions about selling.  

That's what we are here for to help one another in an area we might not be familiar with.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, broker-len said:

As a seller   trying to avoid pay pal and the fees and big brother-----E BAY putting the arm on my for the cost of shipping    is there a way I can accept payment for a sale without it going through E bay

You have to be set up to take payments through pay pal or now managed payments.  However a customer can still send you a check. You can set up large $ items so that a deposit can be made with pay pal then the balance paid on pickup.   There is a forum member here that does that with me.  Not a problem. 

If you are doing buy it nows,  though most require immediate payment so that's where you have to be set up for an online payment. 

There is nothing on smaller items that you can set up to do only mail payments, as far as I know. 

I've really had no problem with Ebay and Paypal, although a seller had a problem recently with a payment from me....Ebay used to be fairly fun to use, and you could do some secret squirrel searches that brought you some interesting results..not so now, they introduced the "fits" option, and you could put in a 2098 Squigglemobile and get 1000 hits on "fits"...same with independent front suspension, IFS, and so many more things...just no fun anymore, and a lot of searches are useless...but, the advantage of Ebay is that something you've been looking for may show up in Podunk, New Mexico, and you'd have NEVER found it without Ebay....I have hundreds of items that came to me this way, though I'll admit that what I'm looking for is pretty tough right now, but in years past it was a treasure trove..

It's all we've got other than local online auctions, oh well...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, trimacar said:

..but, the advantage of Ebay is that something you've been looking for may show up in Podunk, New Mexico, and you'd have NEVER found it without Ebay....I have hundreds of items that came to me this way, though I'll admit that what I'm looking for is pretty tough right now, but in years past it was a treasure trove..

I believe I'm in the opposite end of this view of eBay, all these one of a kind odds & ends, many Non automotive that nobody wants. 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 12:08 PM, auburnseeker said:

Very possible.  I have always said it's really more of a Poker game than an auction with the hard end the way it is.

In fact that may be the way another company could seize the lead.  You have to find something the other guy doesn't offer and go with it.

Bring a trailer seems to be more seriously in the collectors car market than ebay.  And the auction deadline extends if a bid goes in until everyone is finished bidding.

No sniping nonsense. 

Greg

Look at the cost of shipping that is more expensive than the 1/4 x 24 die I need. Also look at the shipping time frame US First Class mail 17 to 37 days shipping time frame is slower than when I buy from China. Also says 30 day returns and I will be lucky to get it that soon so I will shop else where. The USPS is now unbelievably slow and life is to short to wait that long.

1/4"-24 X 1" HIGH SPEED STEEL ROUND ADJUSTABLE DIE

Be the first to write a review.

Condition:
New

Quantity:
3 available

Price:
US $11.99
Approximately C $15.78

Add to cart

30-day returns
Longtime member

Shipping:
US $13.25 (approx. C $17.44) USPS First Class Mail International / First Class Package International Service | See details
International shipment of items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges.  

Item location:
Petaluma, California, United States

Ships to:
Worldwide See exclusions

Delivery:
Estimated delivery within 17-37 business days
Seller ships within 1 day after receiving cleared payment- opens in a new window or tab.  
Please allow additional time if international delivery is subject to customs processing.
Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Speaking with a manager at a local USPS recently and was shocked when he told me that he ships his bike parts via FedEx...

Why ? Cheaper and more reliable he said. 
The man seems to be enjoying cutting the throat of his coworkers openly. 

Hardly anyone cares about each other now days, most are out for themselves.... some are forced into that paradigm and some have bought into the me mentality willingly..

Big business knows this and the mass consolidation that's in the works today (thanks partly to the virus and the politics that have controlled it) will eventually pigeon hole all of us into a reliance on heavy handed buying and selling forms more than ever before. Ebays new business methods are just a small glimpse at what's coming.

Remember all those small wasted towns along side the back roads thanks to the interstates.. ?

You think it's not coming to mom and pop shops in your town thanks to this consolidation? Ha .. think again.

These new big business tactics have begun a dismantling of small business with surgical precision and once it's over (if it ever is) everyone will wake up too late and wonder why we have no equal playing field in regards to small businesses like we once knew. Simple, you gave up your purchasing power by relying on these business.... 

The days of honest competition are long gone friends...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, trimacar said:

I've really had no problem with Ebay and Paypal, although a seller had a problem recently with a payment from me....Ebay used to be fairly fun to use, and you could do some secret squirrel searches that brought you some interesting results..not so now, they introduced the "fits" option, and you could put in a 2098 Squigglemobile and get 1000 hits on "fits"...same with independent front suspension, IFS, and so many more things...just no fun anymore, and a lot of searches are useless...but, the advantage of Ebay is that something you've been looking for may show up in Podunk, New Mexico, and you'd have NEVER found it without Ebay....I have hundreds of items that came to me this way, though I'll admit that what I'm looking for is pretty tough right now, but in years past it was a treasure trove..

Right.  In years past.

Wonder what "Managed Payments" looks like on the buyers side? Just checked my PayPal account this morning and see that one item was paid for using PayPal just like last week, money I can spend today and not wait for the FOUR DAYS it takes to get it through "Managed Payments". 

Bob

I think for the Buyer,  being I buy alot on ebay as well managed payments doesn't look alot different than regular payments on your check out page other than having some other payment options,  however when you select pay pal it's a few more steps as it take you to pay pal,  you have to chose on pay pal how you want to pay,  from your balance,  bank or with credit then maybe another page or two,  then back to the checkout page.  

I also agree Govt.  accelerated the death of small businesses during the virus crisis as they allowed the major chains to remain open yet shut down all the small stores which made absolutely no sense if you stepped back considering the small businesses have less people in them so less chance of catching the virus and with less people they could take more time to clean between if that's what it would take in between customers. They essentially pushed everybody to online retailers as well,  which of course the first hits being major companies again stuck another nail in the small business coffin.  I could see that writing on the wall the day the Gov.s did it.   Now after 4 months,  (remember it was suppose to be 2 weeks) I'm seeing for sale signs in small long established businesses around here.  Some even being allowed to reopen have chosen no to.  I can't blame them, not knowing if the next decree will be handed down in the next hour to shut them down again or maybe in a week.

If one doesn't believe this,  they just need to look around at their town and see what has happened in many cases with those 10-25 year old businesses. 

• Like 2

Will the USPS also shut down for good as the delivery in first class is now up to 5 week period for delivery. How many people will use the USPS with that slow of service as I will no longer use it. When we hosted the Vintage tour last August the longest mail delivery was 2 weeks. I think that more than mom and pop stores are in trouble seeing how hard the USPS is hit. 

16 minutes ago, Joe in Canada said:

Will the USPS also shut down for good as the delivery in first class is now up to 5 week period for delivery. How many people will use the USPS with that slow of service as I will no longer use it. When we hosted the Vintage tour last August the longest mail delivery was 2 weeks. I think that more than mom and pop stores are in trouble seeing how hard the USPS is hit. 

The Post Office in the USA service ends at the border.

Coast to coast is still about a week for first class mail. 

Passenger airliners used to help transport mail.  With so many of those not moving,  stuff all gets shuffled down to trucks.  The trucks that used to haul the lower class mail.  It's a ripple effect.  Went for a hike Yesterday and standing on top of a mountain with the family told my wife I don't see a single plane anywhere.  You would normally see several jet liners and trails in the sky.  

I really noticed this at night when i went out to watch the meteor shower a couple of weeks ago.  In the 45 minutes i was out there I didn't see a single plane in the sky the entire time.  Pre pandemic,  there is not a time at night where you couldn't see atleast one if not several. 

You need to look around to see all the problems and why mail is not moving like it used to.  Less transport options,  more pieces of mail being delivered including alot more parcels. 

I'm not sure if the UPS has their own.  I assume they must have some to beable to guarantee next day mail anywhere,  but I have been on board a commercial airliner before and watched them bring out a trolley full of Priority mail boxes and load them on.  Would make sense for some destinations especially like Hawaii or something where it probably wouldn't be worth running their own planes from the main land to all the islands every day. 

Probably similar to other rural areas.

Well USPS is saying shipping a 1/4 X 24 die a little larger than my thumb nail is now up to 41 days. I understand the USPS made some changes to their system causing the problem. 

Does anyone happen to have 4     1/4 X 24 screws they want to sell? I need them at lest 1/2 inch long and can cut shorter as long as it is threaded full length? Or a die and I could cut my own.  Early Harley or Indian. 

Thanks Joe

This is the quote from the E Bay listing

Shipping:
US $13.25 (approx. C $17.49) USPS First Class Mail International / First Class Package International Service | See details
International shipment of items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges.  

Item location:
Petaluma, California, United States

Ships to:
Worldwide See exclusions
DeliveryEstimated delivery within 27-41 business days

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

I just happened to remember with the new managed payments debacle alot of vendors have shoved their shipping times way out from next day to 10 days handling time,  but may be shipped out much faster if the payment clears faster.  If I didn't have a good track record with alot of my buyers,  I would probably do the same. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, auburnseeker said:

I just happened to remember with the new managed payments debacle alot of vendors have shoved their shipping times way out from next day to 10 days handling time,  but may be shipped out much faster if the payment clears faster.  If I didn't have a good track record with alot of my buyers,  I would probably do the same. 

All my new listing are given the 10 day handling time just to cover the SELLER RATING BS eBay hit me with months ago that took until the 20th of this month to get back to Top seller status. All because of a bent LP record that got a FULL REFUND. Seller Rating is some machine driven rating system NOT related to buyer feedback. 

Bob

• Like 1

If anyone doesn't believe the USPS is having delivery troubles and has for much longer than the recent issues the new notice on my ebay labels page should help cement it a little better. It says 

"USPS is experiencing significant delays across their delivery network. Please consider using other carrier options that may provide a better buyer experience."

This has been the problem for the last 4 months.  More mail less trucks and alot less planes.  Easy to confirm if you look at the sky.  Has been this way since March. Passenger airliners the last time I flew loaded Priority mail on the plane.

If those planes aren't flying,  that mail goes somewhere,  to the trucks.  There are only so many trucks and drivers.  No more were added to any significance that I am aware of.

Add to all of that a Christmas like volume of packages for the last 4 months not 3 weeks like the normal Christmas rush and you have the perfect storm.