My new technically antique tow vehicle

gossp

I found something I have wanted for a while.... a 3/4 ton, 454, 2wd, suburban with barn doors. 

This one is a 1995 with 78,600 miles on it and it came home today!  I got a way better truck than I was expecting and it being just old enough for historic plates and collector car insurance makes it even better. 

We can now go back to refreshing the thread with @edinmass big reveal. 

8DD85C59-35D1-406F-87B7-0B6233331AC2.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks, I am pretty excited about it. I was really searching for a square body with the same specs, but the overdrive transmission and low low miles made this a no brainer. Oh yeah, the price was equivalent to a rusted out fifteen year old half ton with a couple hundred thousand miles on it.... that helped the decision making process along too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gossp, if you've never had one before, I'm sure you will be more than pleased with it.  I've got a 1999 3/4 ton 4x4 GMC 454 Suburban which I've used for towing all across the US and into Canada.  Two years ago I left Tampa, FL pulling an enclosed double-axle trailer.  Two days and 6 hours later I pulled into Portland, OR.  Following day I was in Vancouver, CA.  And that included a stop in Blaine, WA, to secure my 2nd Amendment 'purse' before crossing the border.  The Suburban ran like a top and never missed a beat.  80+ mph most of the way.  (Got one warning ticket for doing 81 in a 65 in IL.)  The only thing it wouldn't pass was a gas station.  Unfortunately with almost 300k miles on the clock and living 3 blocks from the ocean, rust gremlins are taking their toll.  I've patched it up several times, but it's definitely not getting any better.  Sadly, they stopped making the 3/4 ton version 7 years ago, so I'm watching the ads for a low-mileage pre-2013 one as a replacement.  

My wife's new Escalade is no comparison and the electronics on it are a disaster.  Takes 2 people to drive it...one to do the driving and another to operate the computer touch screen.  The Suburban rides and tows much better, and gets better towing gas mileage.  

• Like 1

some of the pasts "great work vehicles" have been going up in value if it's nice. 

Here in New England, a nice condition 4wd diesel with a standard trans goes sold in the same day on Marketplace.  ...because most native ones are either rusted beyond repair, or if in good shape, the owners simply will never sell it.

That’s a great tow vehicle. I put over 200,000 on ours hauling my daughters horses form the Chicago burbs to Florida, Bromont, Colorado, New Mexico and Kentucky amongst other places multiple times. Mountains, heat or cold it hauled without any problems. Gas was the only worry sometimes out in the plains and parts of Canada. 
Have Fun

dave s 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have a ‘93 and ’95 Chevy 1 ton van and 3/4 ton pickup. Also, ‘90 1/2 ton. What I like about these Chevy v8’s thru 1995, is that they’re TBI. I call it totally bulletproof injection.

What I don’t like about these engines is they’re flat tappet. I run Mobile 1 synthetic high mileage oil and add 1 1/2 oz. of ZDDP per oil change. I figure this gets me to  1200-1300 ppm zinc/phosphorus. I lost a lobe on the 327 Chevy in my CJ5 about 10 years ago before I went to my current oil mixture.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

That’s a great tow vehicle. I put over 200,000 on ours hauling my daughters horses form the Chicago burbs to Florida, Bromont, Colorado, New Mexico and Kentucky amongst other places multiple times. Mountains, heat or cold it hauled without any problems. Gas was the only worry sometimes out in the plains and parts of Canada. 
Have gun

dave s 

Remember though, this vehicle is going to have historic plates and collector car insurance so it will be relegated to car shows and parades and will not be a work truck anymore.  

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The more I play with it the more excited I am. The thing is so solid and the interior is stunning. As far as condition goes, this is the nicest car I have ever had, old or new. 

• Like 2

My “new” toy hauler is a 06 GMC Crew Cab Dually Duramax with 31k on the clock.........bought it two years ago. No converter, no DEF, just a truck.........exactly what I wanted, and even got the color........and the insane thing, found it on a car lot in Hershey! It was kept indoors to haul horses to local shows. The last year of the “good” GM’s. Several drag racers have stopped by the shop trying to buy it. None of the guys building fast tow vehicles want anything newer. They are actually restoring their high mileage units. Go figure. Enjoy your new toy, and travel in style.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You should replace all the hoses. Take a look at the brake lines.....metal and rubber. It probably should get shocks. I would do a transmission service. It’s easier to do it at home and when you’re hauling something on the side of the road. I would probably even put new calipers on it. Flush the brake fluid. You’ll be all done at once. 

3 minutes ago, edinmass said:

You should replace all the hoses. Take a look at the brake lines.....metal and rubber. It probably should get shocks. I would do a transmission service. It’s easier to do it at home and when you’re hauling something on the side of the road. I would probably even put new calipers on it. Flush the brake fluid. You’ll be all done at once. 

I was thinking exactly the same thing... but with one shake down drive first... because while I was buying this suburban my dad was in Michigan buying another Model T.... it needs fetched and I have a shiny new penny to go get it with.  

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 7:05 PM, gossp said:

The more I play with it the more excited I am. The thing is so solid and the interior is stunning. As far as condition goes, this is the nicest car I have ever had, old or new. 

Nice find! You will be very happy with this generation of truck. They will work all day long with very little issues and parts are readily available. Recommend adding a transmission temp gauge if automatic. There should already be a boss / plug in the tranny for the sending unit. Last year I retired my 97 4x4 Centurion (GM authorized 4-door Silverado conversation they only had 2 or 3 door trucks except 1 ton crew cabs). Over 100K miles with 80K plus tow miles and is still solid.

IMG_0324.JPG

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, padgett said:

Great choice for a family. Have a receiver and brake controller ?

It has a receiver and brake controller.  Previous owner used it from new for dragging his drag car to the strip. I am looking forward to tossing a trailer behind it but the grass is telling me to mow first. While juggling cars today I might need to line up the three generations of gmc SUV’s for a pic... makes me want an older one!

36 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I picked up this '98 Tahoe for my wife in 2015 with 116,000 on the clock. I think she has it up to 121K now. A lot of vehicle for $6,000.

00g0g_lv15WYxCynG_600x450.jpg.8ad304e44b1fca70e6a35ab31299ab13.jpg

you got yours two hundred cheaper than I got mine!

On 8/2/2020 at 7:13 PM, edinmass said:

My “new” toy hauler is a 06 GMC Crew Cab Dually Duramax with 31k on the clock.........bought it two years ago. No converter, no DEF, just a truck.........exactly what I wanted, and even got the color........and the insane thing, found it on a car lot in Hershey! It was kept indoors to haul horses to local shows. The last year of the “good” GM’s. Several drag racers have stopped by the shop trying to buy it. None of the guys building fast tow vehicles want anything newer. They are actually restoring their high mileage units. Go figure. Enjoy your new toy, and travel in style.

Nice! I bought my '04 Chevy 2500 in 2009 with 39k; it's up to 117k now. It's an early 04, so LB7 instead of LLY, but pulls great. Only two issues - the rocker panels are starting to rush out, and being an LB7 I have put two sets of injectors in it. The first I paid a "reputable" shop to do - they put Chinese crap in at AC Delco prices. I just put new injectors in myself this spring, so hopefully that's it for a while.

I love that it has no converter, no DEF, no turbo electronics. Pulls hard - I can accelerate uphill with a 10k trailer, and get 10 mpg or better, if it's flat.

gossp - sorry to hi-jack your post. The new ride looks great!

On 8/2/2020 at 5:38 PM, Pfeil said:

:::

That’s a great tow vehicle. I put over 200,000 on ours hauling my daughters horses form the Chicago burbs to Florida....

Remember though, this vehicle is going to have historic plates and collector car insurance so it will be relegated to car shows and parades and will not be a work truck anymore.  

That's true. I'm not even sure about hauling old cars with that kind of paperwork. If you're hauling old cars to a show, then you can probably get by with that, as you could make the case that the tow car is part of the display. But if you're hauling projects back and forth to shops - or from sellers to buyers - that might be a different story. Owner should check with state and insurance co.

I checked with insurance company and the same kinds of personal use as our antiques get is fine, as is towing. They want it stored in a garage not on the street and not used as a daily. Although no mileage limits are in place expected mileage a year is discussed and excessive use could create a conversation at renewal. 

Historic plates in Indiana at least are even less restrictive: 25 years old and not a daily driver.