SCAM

broker-len

The other day got an E mail from a friend in Real Estate business,,,,,,,the source E mail was correct and it had her office address.  I was asked to do her a favor that was out of keeping with out relationship.....was asked if I had  a local Grocery store near me ,,,,,this was because they were on lockdown and could not get out,,,,I responded asking  the purpose of the request and mentioned some mutual business we were involve in     also mentioned a large food chain in the area that is near her office.......the response came from her same Email address  @ a different domain  name,   and no mention of the food chain or mutual business,,, just  instruction on purchasing certain cash cards for  $ 300.00 and send her the code this was to be a gift to her niece    when I went back and said I would not be able to help her the request stopped--------As the world changes and gets more crazy  and we depend on electronic communication to stay in touch and buy and sell------------------------------ we must be careful

• Like 4

Good Catch, Broker-len.

This particular scam has been around for a while now. Sometimes it's groceries, sometimes it's a FedEx package.  Your friend's email was found somewhere and is being spoofed by the bad guys.  This can happen when folks have their email addresses posted on a website for the whole world to see.

Thanks for the warning.

Wes in VT

54 minutes ago, tripwire said:

This can happen when folks have their email addresses posted on a website for the whole world to see.

Always amazes me how so many  wise men or women on this website post their personal phone #'s or email... Anyone that does that is just asking to have a cyber attack of some kind. 

Very good warning to heed,  yet so many on here ignore it. 

The key is in the e-mail header, received; from lines also you mentioned the domain name was different.

Scams have been around since the dawn of the Internet and after you have seen a few are easy to recognise. Worst case confirmation is just a phone call away.

I use a third party mailer for email, have my oven domain, and have it set "paranoid" - get only text unless more is permitted (button) and no executables.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Always amazes me how so many  wise men or women on this website post their personal phone #'s or email...

I aver that a phone number in an ad is very useful.

When I've looked at cars for sale, the phone number

gives me a bit of confidence that the seller is real and the

ad is legitimate.  And I know I can readily call for information,

discussing the car with the seller and judging his knowledge,

his forthrightness, and his honesty.

I recall how scammers often rely on their fictional car's

"unavailabilty":  They are handicapped, or they are working on

an offshore oil platform, or the enticingly underpriced car

is already crated up at a "Google shipping center!"  Do scammers

give their phone numbers?

Many car ads on Ebay list phone numbers;  so do those

on the Hemmings Motor News website.  So do most

magazine ads.  They are helpful for ads on our forum, too.

Congratulations, Broker-len, on disappointing another scammer!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

ad is legitimate.  And I know I can readily call for information,

discussing the car with the seller and judging his knowledge,

his forthrightness, and his honesty.

In 23 years of advertising, buying and selling on various antique auto websites I have always listed either my phone # or email address. Yes, I used to get some “interesting “ emails (from Nigeria...wow!) and they are easy to see through. Never had a problem. The delete button is my friend. I have never had a problem due to publishing my phone #, although I usually only do that when I advertise a car for sale.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Maybe I should have just said EMAIL. 

Then how do the modern people that only respond to email buy your stuff? And if you are an officer in an antique car club, how do people contact you to join if there is no email address?

I'm sure you can find one of my email addresses in a minute with Google. That's what spam filters are for......😉

• Like 2

6 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

ad is legitimate.  

Agreed John, but my point is to disguise the number or email so they cannot easily contact you, play games, or attempt to take your identity or someone else's... which is kind of what the OP touched on.

Disguise your phone number such as 60TWO-548- yada yada yada ya. Why is that such a hard thing for some folks ? 

But hey... if ya'll want to play games and put your personal info out there and test these vermin then be my guest. Be careful handling that fire, you will get burnt. 

Don't come whining about getting scammed when it happens though.

Not you specifically John but anyone that thinks they are above these scammers. 

All I'm saying is if anyone puts personal info out there on display so easily without any kind of special characters to disguise it then, you best be prepared to deal with it once they take your identity or other nefarious acts occur. 

For those that say it won't or can't happen to them because of some BS secure shield they think they have in place better get real. 
I dare anyone to continue to put a personal email out there repeatedly without a care in the world and let's just see what happens.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Frank DuVal said:

Then how do the modern people that only respond to email buy your stuff? And if you are an officer in an antique car club, how do people contact you to join if there is no email address?

I'm sure you can find one of my email addresses in a minute with Google. That's what spam filters are for......😉

Great point but that's what newsletters are for. If  a member cannot contact me through the available club literature then they have no business contacting me unless I know them. 

Now if you have a separate "business" email for the club members, then I get that, no problem. I'm talking strictly personal email and personal phone numbers though. I guess I should have clarified that...

8 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Maybe I should have just said EMAIL. 

Phone numbers I can see... I understand  that but an email ? Really ? 

Dur da dur...

As a professor, both my public and private email addresses are in the public domain.  Posting an email address is not a risk for anyone who understands the technology.  Individuals who click on links or attachments imbedded in email or who respond to any email associated with the use of money are at risk.  Simply put, there is absolutely nothing anyone can do with an email address (other than spam you) to harm someone... unless they are careless with the emails they receive.

Joe

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Forget posting your email address or phone number, what will really set you up for a scam is posting your city or state of residence.  "They" will come for you ... fer sure!

When advertising a car (or anything  else substantial), it's best not to post any contact information at all, especially the location (region or state).

As pointed out by three oh Dee Pee above anyone can be hacked by a clever hacker.  Other than perhaps confusing a 'bot' I don't see how substituting words for numerals can disguise one's phone number from any motivated evil doer.

I'm doomed!:P

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will add the same thing regarding my email as my phone no. It is my business email and I use it for contacting and talking to customers almost as much as my phone. I readily give it out as a source of contact. Fortunately I have not been scammed. They have tried but so far no go. One of the better ones I got was supposedly from my service provider (a small, local company). It said they were resetting their servers and I needed to log in to the provide link and provide my password info and such. The company logo was on the email and it looked official. I dont click anything that I didnt ask for, so I went to their office and asked them. It was def. a scam they were having problems with. Another was during the holidays I got an email from FEDEX, said my package had been shipped and to hit the provided link for details. Very official looking even with logo. Problem was I KNEW I had not ordered anything. In to the trash.

A number of years ago I set up a number of email addresses for specific purposes. One for personal use,  one for business use, a few for my web site, one for selling/buying items on-line, etc. This has served me VERY well.

When it comes to suspicious emails I simply hover over the link in an email (being careful not to click on it). That will show you where that link goes which is almost ALWAYS NOT the real business, etc the email says it's from. I also get emails from time to time with the actual names of friends of mine in the email "From" address and an attachment usually with broken English or phrases I have never heard my friends use. I hover over the name and the underlying email address is NOT their address but a weird email name instead. 

I also use a very well known Virus protection software for my Windows PC and all my Android Tablet & Phone. This software warns me about suspicious web sites, etc. FYI when it comes to this software you GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. "Free" versions of this type of software are JUNK. If I had 1 $1 for every infected PC I have seen over the years that used "Free" virus protection I could have pay for multiple YEARS of my Virus software.

Bottom line, be careful out there.

Charlie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agree, links or even HTML in an E-mail can be dangerous. This is why my email is set to render only text and hovering on a link reveals the actual URL in my tray. Being paranoid is not all bad.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Great point but that's what newsletters are for.

How do new people find you so you can get them to join the club? Or do you want the club to die off as the current members will someday? How do they find the newsletter? Google search. And what good will it do them if you do not list your email in the newsletter? If you make it hard for people to find you, the club will die off.

If you cannot tell whether or not it is the club president that is asking you to send money by Western Union to help them out of town........  Then keep the foil hat on and don't go on the internet.

And keep hiding under your assumed name. This is a sure sign of paranoia.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Joe West said:

Individuals who click on links or attachments imbedded in email or who respond to any email associated with the use of money are at risk.  

unless they are careless with the emails they receive.

Precisely...

So many on here are (careless) which is why they get scammed, that was my point. By putting it on display so frequently and freely only compounds the risk factor. 

I guess, I'm more concerned for those that are vulnerable who do not understand this. 

Professors, Presidents of clubs and Jr Rocket scientists are excluded I'm sure 🙄

1 hour ago, Frank DuVal said:

How do new people find you so you can get them to join the club? Or do you want the club to die off as the current members will someday? How do they find the newsletter? Google search. And what good will it do them if you do not list your email in the newsletter?  If you make it hard for people to find you, the club will die off.

If you cannot tell whether or not it is the club president that is asking you to send money by Western Union to help them out of town........  Then keep the foil hat on and don't go on the internet.

And keep hiding under your assumed name. This is a sure sign of paranoia. 

Easy, my information is in the newsletter and all new members receive the newsletter. I list my info in the newsletter for folks who have a right to know it. If you are not a club member and do not receive the newsletter then you have no business contacting me or any of the other members or officers for that matter. 

I do this so to limit the a&*clowns from taking up my time and space. The sooner we thin the vermin out the better, unfortunately some wish to continue to fee the lil farts. 

Financial dealings are common sense. WU is one of the most vulnerable things anyone can do anymore... Much safer ways to deal with folks for buying and selling parts or literature. 

But hey Frank, you do you bud.

17 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

The key ingredient in any successful scam is a willing victim.

Exactly !

Those that don't know any better are really the ones at risk, maybe someone who is not so computer savvy or not practiced at these electronic dealings. Those are the ones I'm worried about.

The ones who have it figured out are used to dealing with these issues. Even still, the OP warning was simply meant for us to all be on guard for future tactics in this ever changing world. The last thing we should be doing is testing their skills. To me, that's not paranoia, it's common sense. 

Thanks for the reminder Broker-Len. Shall we all remain on guard and continue to be safe.

1 hour ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Easy, my information is in the newsletter and all new members receive the newsletter. I list my info in the newsletter for folks who have a right to know it. If you are not a club member and do not receive the newsletter then you have no business contacting me or any of the other members or officers for that matter.

If one is not a member and wishes to become a member, how does that work?  Unless, of course, the club happens to be a closed "secret" society.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1