Harbor Freight Jack Stand Recall

Just got this info on another site I use. Seems there is a problem with collapse on their Pittsburgh brand 3 ton and 6 ton stands. The recall covers a LOT of years so please check yours if you have this brand.

1d4664b8_5656_4012_8ac8_6b8a4614a836_b7362da94c67254a6cc6074d866a614d5abd4c25.png

PITTSBURGH AUTOMOTIVE 3 TON STEEL JACK STANDS

May 3, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20E027000
Jack Stand May Collapse Under Load
Under load, the stand may drop suddenly, which may increase the risk of injury to people near or under a lifted vehicle.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 20E027000

Manufacturer Harbor Freight Tools

Components EQUIPMENT

Potential Number of Units Affected 1,254,000

Summary

Harbor Freight Tools (Harbor Freight) is recalling certain Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands, part numbers 56371 and 61196. The ratchet teeth on the jack stand lifting extension post may not engage the pawl to a sufficient depth, possibly causing the stand to fail under load.

Remedy

Harbor Freight will notify owners, and stores will provide, in exchange for return of the jack stands, a gift card equal to the shelf price of the jack stands, free of charge. Owners are asked to immediately discontinue use of the jack stands for safety concerns. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Harbor Freight customer service at 1-800-444-3353 or Recalls@HarborFreight.com.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

PITTSBURGH AUTOMOTIVE 6 TON STEEL JACK STANDS

March 20, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20E016000
Jack Stands May Fail
If the stand fails, the stand can suddenly drop, increasing the risk of injury to persons nearby or under the lifted vehicle.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 20E016000

Manufacturer Harbor Freight Tools

Components EQUIPMENT

Potential Number of Units Affected 454,000

Summary

Harbor Freight Tools (Harbor Freight) is recalling certain Pittsburgh Automotive 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands, part number 61197. The ratchet teeth on the jack stands may not sufficiently engage the pawl to a sufficient depth, possibly causing the stand to fail under load.

Remedy

Harbor Freight will notify owners, and stores will provide, in exchange for return of the jack stands, a gift card equal to the shelf price of the jack stands, free of charge. Owners are asked to immediately discontinue use of the jack stands for safety concerns. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Harbor Freight customer service at 1-800-444-3353 or Recalls@HarborFreight.com.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

• Like 1

It says “Harbor Freight will notify owners.”  I wonder how they are planning to do that?  Mine are over 15 years old and they have no idea I have them because they were a gift.  I will have to check the part numbers, if they are even still on there.

edit: I read on another page this only goes back to 2013, so maybe mine are good?  I would say they are, based on using them for a long time.

edit:well, guess what.  Mine look exactly like those but says Sears on them.  Must be a popular design that another manufacturer started using after Sears went away.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I choked very, very hard when I bought my Snap On stands...............bought 6 six ton units, and 4 three ton units. Worth every penny Don't buy and junk jacks either...........safety equipment is not a place to take a short cut. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I won't get under a car with only one support. A jackstand and a jack or even a stack of tires under the side I am working on. At the moment I am working under a car on my Kwik Lift ramps. Their is a 3 ton jack under the rear lift bar and two Hein Werner 6 ton jackstands just aft of the front support towers.

But I am wearing neither a belt or suspenders!

Here is a tire support job with a couple more to go under the bumper, under the helper in the picture.

045.thumb.JPG.3cf0a66f058eb0f4ead48a387f13d636.JPG

No one gets under a car like this at my place.

009.thumb.JPG.52b56d91f3a2852d31fc475f21ef4947.JPG

I have tried to avoid Chinese manufactured products for personal reasons. Many are high quality since the Chinese government will subsidize manufacturers the difference to make a quality competitive product. It worked out great in the furniture industry.

If you are past procreative age and taking risks on supporting a car YOU are the only one with something to lose.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

You have to be crazy to work under a car that's on Harbor Freight jack stands. When are we going to learn that the Chinese stuff made by them is junk. Grinding wheels that explode, wire wheels that throw the wire like needles into your skin, hydraulic jacks that collapse without warning, electric shocks from welders, etc. It seems like every week we read about something else failing from HF. For your own safety, stop buying anything made in China!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It is for ones produced/manufactured:

Production Dates : JUN 13, 2013 - NOV 22, 2019

Number of potentially involved : 454,000

Estimated percentage with defect : 5 %

it looks like it was specific one made by a specific manufacturer that was using OLD tooling :(

I have a set of four that i have been using continuously while working on my 1929 Chevrolet, mounted them on dolly. in fact they have ad the car in the air off all fours for long durations. moved car around garage on them, and move the car every few days on them. hoping my set is NOT in the recall.

they are giving people store credit if you take them in.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20E016-6561.PDF

cool video of guy going over the defective vs good stands...  

Edited by BearsFan315 (see edit history)

I checked my Hein Werner jack stands and "Made in America" means "assembled in America" in cooperation with Shinn Fu Company using global parts. https://www.b4usa.com/hein-werner-products/

I am crossing them off my list because of the outsourcing of components. I am not concerned with safety because I never rely on one support device when I get into a potentially dangerous position.

There are a lot of businesses in the US that are based on Chinese imports. I choose not to buy western Pacific rim products. I am shopping for a four post lift now and it will probably be an Atlas Pro8000. If that is the choice I will be sure that the vendor supplies one out of his current stock and I will let them know current stock is all I will accept and don't replenish any stock for me. I am supporting them to the line I chose.

By the way, Shinn Fu is not a good American name like Chevrolet.

Bernie

• Like 1

The problem is they are made out of Chineseium.............😝

I wish I could take credit for this........when I read it I laughed for ten minutes. 

just did a courtesy check and all of mine are number 38846 3 ton bought 7+ years ago

i also did a double check on the teeth and prawl, all look great and are very well defined.

i have to remove almost all of the weight off them to move the lever at all !!

• Like 1

I heard a sarcastic saying it is cheaper to do it twice when someone did a poor job on a Construction site.

How much did it cost for the Original product, Shipping and Handling to reimburse the Purchaser.

Can anyone do a ball park calculation on the cost of this recall as I live in Canada and the stores are not up here.

We have Princess Auto up here.

An American manufacturer probably lost sales to this Product resulting in a Plant closure.

Thanks for posting this Greg.

450,000 6 ton stands.

1.3 million 3 ton stands.

20 hours ago, GregLaR said:

450,000 6 ton stands.

1.3 million 3 ton stands.

Makes me remember a machining job I had when N. C. turret lathes were fairly new. The X and Y axis program did not allow for tool tip wear. The guy who broke me in showed me the most important step, setting the finished product on the pallet so the QC inspector would pick the best jobs. It is sort of like feeding cards in a card trick. I got pretty good at it and the awareness led me to tricks of my own.

This recall could have similar roots in management demand for products, new manufacturing techniques, and poorly trained workers. Leadership in management of all types has shown shortcomings since about the year 5000 B. C. I could see this being an instance.

Bernie

• Like 3

So if I have my numbers correct and thanks to a Member who sent me the Retail value of the stands.

450,000 6 ton stands  X  $50. =  $22,500,000.

1.3 million 3 ton stands  X   $25. = $32,500,000.

Total  $55,000,000.

Someone must have got a Bonus for this.

Like I said above  "  I heard a sarcastic saying it is cheaper to do it twice when someone did a poor job and had to redo it  again on a Construction site. "

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

The owner of a Harbor Freight is politically active, on the extreme In my humble opinion, so I try and never buy there..........he can afford the 55 million dollar hit..........and maybe a bit more. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...