Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

George……..I saw my first wood-gas car in the Cotswolds, and here is a photo of the beverage it will dispense. The photo is taken at the bar in Broadway…….and a screen shot of the entire from the net.

PS- the beer was great, as was the car I was driving…….

A431AE30-D074-4BA2-99D1-47B9211137C2.png

4583D638-230E-4CE0-BC0C-EB41C8244199.png

B1D1E97D-EBA8-47AE-AC28-5A0CD44C93E2.png

• Like 5

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

George……..I saw my first wood-gas car in the Cotswolds, and here is a photo of the beverage it will dispense. The photo is taken at the bar in Broadway…….and a screen shot of the entire from the net.

PS- the beer was great, as was the car I was driving…….

A431AE30-D074-4BA2-99D1-47B9211137C2.png

4583D638-230E-4CE0-BC0C-EB41C8244199.png

B1D1E97D-EBA8-47AE-AC28-5A0CD44C93E2.png

Lucky you. I’ve drank old engine oil working on junkers I owned. Prefer mine fresh out the crankcase. Been to England also but found a lot of what they termed pissheads hanging out in the pubs. Must of been in the wrong neighborhood.

• Haha 1

On 12/31/2022 at 4:31 AM, edinmass said:

AAFF9399-E048-4785-8C5E-314E7040F527.png

4F78C570-8C15-4FA3-A4B0-00253AC36A2B.png

627F2D21-4F06-4A46-9469-FEE4C0DE7AB7.png

Years ago I'd seen an old French car magazine (can't recall the name) that was filled with spectacular cars and one in particular had the very shiney rims as the first car you posted. Have always wondered what they were called back in the day and if was strictly a Mercedes thing.

image.png.2caaa63c58b492cf6ae9a43eb00c0e44.png

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Years ago I'd seen an old French car magazine (can't recall the name) that was filled with spectacular cars and one in particular had the very shiney rims as the first car you posted. Have always wondered what they were called back in the day and if was strictly a Mercedes thing.

image.png.2caaa63c58b492cf6ae9a43eb00c0e44.png

Those shiny things are not rims they are wheel discs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

Those shiny things are not rims they are wheel discs.

Thanks for the education, I guess I should have used the proper words for you this morning. 

What time is it over there in New Zealand? Past your bedtime..? your starting to sound grumpy...

Get some sleep bro 

(that's short for Brother or good Friend in some parts of the world ;))

Oh, and FYI (For Your Information) using the words wheel and discs in the same sentence the way you have can be considered an oxymoron. 

Therefore, from henceforth I shalt call them Shiney Rimmy Things. 

If we're both being serious and honest for a second, ... we're both wrong. They are called steel disc wheels. 
At least that's what I've always seen them called on this side of the pond. 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Notice that the RV seems to have/be fitted with solid tires?  1920s version of a Conestoga wagon?  I can't comprehend that traveling at any speed over 20 mph if that. Going down or up grades must have been and interesting experience.  As many may know by now my prime interest is in custom coachwork - on any vehicle of any kind. This is an extreme. We have all heard the term "airflow" styling , this is a case of "no flow" styling.

Walt

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Thanks for the education, I guess I should have used the proper words for you this morning. 

What time is it over there in New Zealand? Past your bedtime..? your starting to sound grumpy...

Get some sleep bro 

(that's short for Brother or good Friend in some parts of the world ;))

Oh, and FYI (For Your Information) using the words wheel and discs in the same sentence the way you have can be considered an oxymoron. 

Therefore, from henceforth I shalt call them Shiney Rimmy Things. 

If we're both being serious and honest for a second, ... we're both wrong. They are called steel disc wheels. 
At least that's what I've always seen them called on this side of the pond. 

They are not steel disc wheels they are simply decorative discs that cover the wire wheels. 

Our 1926 Pontiac has steel disc wheels, in this case made by the Motor Wheel company. Photo from last year at our annual off-road trial.

294728653_731173701330133_1853985041982784749_n.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

My chiropractor said I shalt not drive with my head tilted to one side ;) 

Maybe it's a European thing? 

image.png.840914798fbd9c6f6859471d3f542a20.png

I was simply pointing out that the word 'tail' describes where they are found so it doesn't need the extra adjective 'rear'.

5 hours ago, twin6 said:

Pete Seeger!

Yes, it does appear to be Pete Seeger at 18 months of age holding his mothers hand.  They were in Washington, DC in 1921 preparing to go on tour.

Pete Seeger was part of an important musical family, the son of ethnomusicologist Charles Seeger and concert violinist Constance de Clyver Edson Seeger. He was exposed to folk music as a young child, when his parents took him on a musical expedition in a homemade trailer, designed to bring classical music to rural areas. John Seeger, Pete’s older brother, remembered the family’s experience at AFC’s 2007 symposium:

[Charles] said, ‘I’m going to take good music to the countryside, because they cannot afford orchestras, they cannot afford quartets…. So he spent a year and a half building that damn trailer!  What happened was, in western North Carolina, spending a winter there…at every farm he would say, ‘can my wife and I play you some music on Saturday?’  And after their music was over, the local farmers would say, ‘now, would you listen to our music?’  Every farm we went to, everyone could either play an instrument, or could sing, or could harmonize…and they all knew the songs!  What was he bringing music to the countryside for?  In March, as soon as the snow was gone, we all piled in the trailer, and we tore home, and he went to New York to teach!

FROM:  https://blogs.loc.gov/folklife/2014/01/pete-seeger-may-3-1919-january-27-2014/

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Walt G said:

Notice that the RV seems to have/be fitted with solid tires?  1920s version of a Conestoga wagon?  I can't comprehend that traveling at any speed over 20 mph if that. Going down or up grades must have been and interesting experience.  As many may know by now my prime interest is in custom coachwork - on any vehicle of any kind. This is an extreme. We have all heard the term "airflow" styling , this is a case of "no flow" styling.

Walt

Here you go Walt - a Studebaker somewhere in Spain exhibiting a body from the Mies van der Rohe School of Automotive Design...

2119089722_24527StudebakerArieLibre1X.jpg.7aa95f60ad5c8cef372f3fbd776b9674.jpg

TG

• Like 3
  • Haha 2