Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Is anything known about how the rumble seat was accessed?  The rumble seat compartment looks rather large, and for modest ladies entering and leaving the compartment it would seem that step plates from the fender is not a good idea.  Perhaps the Conover speedster had an entry on the right side much like the 1928 Chrysler rumble seat roadster?

Conover Silver Speedster built on Willys-Overland chassis.jpg

28 Chryler roadster.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

Wow! That’s a great picture!! I believe an Underslung Scout she’s on? Way cool

I think this is a today picture of a similar American Underslung like the one my aunt is sitting on.

American underslung.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hook said:

I think this is a today picture of a similar American Underslung like the one my aunt is sitting on.

American underslung.jpg

I was thinking about your picture and remembered seeing it on the Underslung Photo thread. Thanks for sharing it! I’m wondering if that car she was sitting on still exists? Great snapshot of life in an era long gone. 

Edited by BobinVirginia (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Jensen 4 1/4 litre straight Eight from a publicity sheet when the car was new. Count up how many spheres are at the front of the car - parking and headlamps, driving light, mirrors, horns.

JensenUK1hallitre.jpg

• Like 1

LaSalle for 1938 , tried to see if I used this photo here before nut couldn't locate it. The car had dual whitewalls which in the original print  it shows the white wall inside the tire as well .The PR photo notes the new 1938 LaSalle had a broader radiator grille that "enhances the smartness" . SO broadness means smartness at least in 1938 GM thought it did....................

LaSalle1938nosePRphoto.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 3

This photo was not taken in the pre WWII era but in 1951 in California, so the car was 17 years old when the photo was taken .  Photo is of a 1934 Packard V12 and was given to me decades ago by a buddy in Ohio named Jim Petrick; he got it from a collector in New York City named George A. Moffitt. Moffitt was a photo collector early on and coveted what he owned because he would rent out copies for the photos he had to publishers who needed images for automobile books. He lived in a one room apartment and had no telephone, but there was a pay phone out in the hall of his apartment building that he would use or if he knew you were going to call him he would stand bay and guard so no one else would pick up and answer. I have met soooo many interesting people in my decades of research and collecting on both sides of the Atlantic pond , some much more cordial then others.

PackardCOUPE1934teken1951.jpg

• Like 7

Here's a '30 Packard by LeBaron, built for Mrs. Walter O. Briggs, according to the caption on the back.  The caption also says it's a '31 but that can't be true for an obvious and visible reason.  It also looks like the chrome cones for the hubs are not installed, leading to the black reflection in the chrome wheel cover.  I think it's a 745 - lotsa hood going on there!  An awesome car!

30PackardLeBaronMrsBriggs_000058.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Looking at the Packard LeBaron conv. sedan again, due to the size of the photo one can see more details. I had seen this photo before BUT never noticed that the chassis was painted a light color as were the springs.

This was not done often but it was done by other coach builders in the same era - Derham did it for a show car they built they had on exhibit at the NY and Chicago salons in the Autumn of 1930 . Note the painted ( not totally plated) landau irons as well. This too was done more often then not and today is rarely seen because most people who have their cars restored want as much bling as possible.  Bling in the pre war classic era cars was not over done as most people who purchased the cars did not want to call attention to themselves .

On 4/22/2022 at 10:42 AM, Walt G said:

This photo was not taken in the pre WWII era but in 1951 in California, so the car was 17 years old when the photo was taken .  Photo is of a 1934 Packard V12 and was given to me decades ago by a buddy in Ohio named Jim Petrick; he got it from a collector in New York City named George A. Moffitt. Moffitt was a photo collector early on and coveted what he owned because he would rent out copies for the photos he had to publishers who needed images for automobile books. He lived in a one room apartment and had no telephone, but there was a pay phone out in the hall of his apartment building that he would use or if he knew you were going to call him he would stand bay and guard so no one else would pick up and answer. I have met soooo many interesting people in my decades of research and collecting on both sides of the Atlantic pond , some much more cordial then others.

PackardCOUPE1934teken1951.jpg

I bought my first old car (a '39 LaSalle) from John E (Ted) MacPhail ,who lived just north of Dorchester, Ontario. At the time, he had an all original twin to this car (except I think for wire wheels) sitting in his basement. Anyone here know of the car ?

• Like 1

Note the attire to go "motoring" something not often discussed or if you do see someone now who dresses in a "duster" it is mostly for posing for a photo because the person who does so wants to be noticed and the center of attention.  Note the fellow is smoking a pipe to - when was the last time you saw anyone doing that? or even a local store to be able to purchase pipe tobacco? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Note the attire to go "motoring" something not often discussed or if you do see someone now who dresses in a "duster" it is mostly for posing for a photo because the person who does so wants to be noticed and the center of attention.  Note the fellow is smoking a pipe to - when was the last time you saw anyone doing that? or even a local store to be able to purchase pipe tobacco? 

What car is that?

Running board: the perfect bench for pictures, picnics, storage…I cannot imagine how much the people missed them in the 1930s.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

763BB07F-BA71-410F-8E97-192843B04531.png

Inspiration for this Floyd-Derham/Wolfington design was likely from the Stutz M dual cowl phaeton by LeBaron.  Unhappily, the customer got a tad too involved in the design process, apparently loved swag moldings...

Stutz M LeBaron dual cowl phaeton a.jpg

Stutz M LeBaron dual cowl phaeton.jpg

Duesenberg J Wolfington phaeton.png

• Like 1

The Packard roadster photo seems to have been taken in Europe, and headlamps are Marchal ??  the driver has a nice compliment of mascots sitting next to him or are they seat warmers?  As the late great songstress Helen Kane would have crooned in the song of the era " is there anything wrong in that". ( look up the lyrics which mention Cadillac but in this instance Packard would apply)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Walt G said:

The Packard roadster photo seems to have been taken in Europe, and headlamps are Marchal ??  the driver has a nice compliment of mascots sitting next to him or are they seat warmers?  As the late great songstress Helen Kane would have crooned in the song of the era " is there anything wrong in that". ( look up the lyrics which mention Cadillac but in this instance Packard would apply)

Could the driver be George Raft? Just a thought.

If it is a ReVere there is something unique with the front fenders; possibly special fenders for some military need.  Photos in my files of ReVere cars dated as 1918, 1919, and 1920 do not show fenders remotely similar to those on the mystery photo.  The photo of Cannon Ball Baker with a ReVere test car is not dated.

Unknown.png

18 Revere with Victoria Top.jpg

19 Revere.jpg

20 Revere 02.jpg

ReVere 002.jpg

George…….I have no clue………found it hunting last night. Looks a bit like the DV-32 Dragon.

Reminds me of an old college girlfriend of mine…….wild body, not much to look at. But one hell of a ride! 😎

814B17BC-5789-4EC5-96A7-EEB0FD2D62C3.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

For the record…….I’m certain that George K knows the car, as I did. “The most beautiful Duesenberg ever”, well, I’ll,stick with what my momma taught me…….” If you can’t say something nice don’t say anything at all!” For some reason I thought the car had dual side mounts……so I thought it might have been changed back in the day. Having seen the car in person, I’m trying to forget it.