Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

11 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

A circa 1927 Velie in Australia back in the day. Probably never a common sight anywhere.

27 Velie in Oz copy.jpg

I’ve got a 1928 Velie 6-66 with Houk wheels here in Sydney. It started life as a Tudor but got uted somewhere along the way.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2023 at 10:03 AM, alsancle said:

SportPhaeton.jpg

Has anyone ever heard of an "English yacht trunk", its new to me.

• Like 3

I have never seen either one of these Derham bodied Packard convertible sedans in pictures other then shown here that were taken for Derham.

Nothing in the era they were made nor now within the past 35-45 years as a collector car.

Derham did some neat postwar creations but you never see any of them.

I had spoken to a fellow who worked in their shop in his teens when he lived in the area of Rosemont, Pa. where Derham was located. He saw a Franklin I had at a show here on long island and it had a Derham body so he struck up a conversation. MOST interesting the modifications they made to cars he helped on especially in the 1960s when there were bombs planted to blow up politicians and other people riding in cars . Interesting to hear him tell how they secured the floors of the cars from being penetrated by bomb blasts.

More stories to tell.

Yes,, to many stories from first person experiences from people that I have met = I have always been a good listener, know when not to interrupt and just let them flow with what they were there to see or participate in 40+ years prior.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

That's a hell of a car. Does it still exist?

IIRC, these 1946-'47 Packard Custom Super Clipper convertible limousines by Derham were ordered by a Mid-East Kingdom with the involvement by Aramco for a sultan or some such personage.  They may still be in a royal garage fleet there.  Derham had built a 1942 Chrysler Crown Imperial convertible limousine and later an open phaeton on the 1946-'48 Crown Imperial.  The latter was order for King Ibn Saud of Saudi Arabia as a hunting car for the desert. 

• Like 4

One of my brothers had a Derham bodied 52 Cadillac with a small rear window and padded top.  It was bullet proof from the divider window back.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 41 Su8 said:

One of my brothers had a Derham bodied 52 Cadillac with a small rear window and padded top.  It was bullet proof from the divider window back.

Some people were downright stupid! So those in back were protected but the driver was not. Kill the driver and they get you too!!! Eventually!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, hook said:

Some people were downright stupid! So those in back were protected but the driver was not. Kill the driver and they get you too!!! Eventually!

The issue with armor is the car weighs so much it won't move.  Perhaps they were building the light weight version.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

The issue with armor is the car weighs so much it won't move.  Perhaps they were building the light weight version.

Reminds me of a gangster in Chicago that had a bullet proof car made but didn't put bullet proof glass in it because he figured if anyone shot at him he could duck below the panels. That worked out OK, right? He wasn't the sharpest pencil in the box.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Walt G said:

I have never seen either one of these Derham bodied Packard convertible sedans in pictures other then shown here that were taken for Derham.

Nothing in the era they were made nor now within the past 35-45 years as a collector car.

Derham did some neat postwar creations but you never see any of them.

The comparison between the top-up and top-down photos leaves one with a few questions.

How many months apart are the photos, despite being taken in the exact same location.  Odd how the top is down in what is either early spring or late fall, in the one photo, and the top is up in the middle of summer going by the foliage in the other photo.

I'd like to know where all that top neatly folded out of sight, especially with those heavy rear quarters with lots of canvas top material that had to 'disappear' to be neatly stowed as seen in the top-down photo.

I almost believe they are two different cars, the lighter color car perhaps being a styling mule only, or parade vehicle with no functional operating top.

Craig

Craig

they were two different cars. The lighter car was not just a styling exercise, Derham did not have the time, staff nor space to be involved in that. They built to order not on speculation. They had two shops one in Philadelphia and one in Rosemont, Pa.  to the west of Philadelphia. 

Walt

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2024 at 2:39 AM, edinmass said:

Has anyone ever heard of an "English yacht trunk", its new to me.

My answer to the question is no, and what defines an English yacht trunk I don't know.

More common are what were generally referred to as steamer trunks which were quite common back in the day. I think construction methods varied. 

This one came with my Studebaker, and probably dates from the post WW2 era. It has obviously seen quite a lot of use. Sitmar Line was an Italian operation that ran a fairly frequent service between Europe and New Zealand. The label inside is almost comical. The trunk is not really automotive but has been used once so far - on an event in June 2023 which included some back roads. The suitcase strapped on top is from the same era.  It will likely be used in a few weeks when we take the car up to Napier (about 400 miles away) to the Art Deco festival being held in the town where the car began its NZ life in 1930. The pic is a photographer's proof.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.jpg

• Like 4

On 1/7/2024 at 7:46 AM, hook said:

In the 1990s when I was working for a Corvette tuner, we had a client who built armored vehicles for use in the Middle East. Most were Suburbans with 700 horsepower engines because important people go everywhere in the Middle East at 100 MPH so you can easily see who is following you.

He said that they did build a lot of fully armored vehicles but the vehicle he preferred was a lightly armored Suburban with the big motor, as well as a giant sunroof through which would pop a spring-loaded gatling gun of some sort and a metal grate floor through which the hot brass could be ejected. With the heavy armor, people tended to just hunker down and wait--no matter how good the armor might be, they WILL get through sooner or later. But with the lighter vehicle, if you couldn't out-run them, you took out the gun to "correct the situation" as he put it, which I thought was the greatest understatement of all time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, MetroPetro said:

IMG_4613.jpeg

Standard roadsters outnumbered DeLuxe 10 to 1 back in the days. You'd never know it by the ones that got restoed over the years and converted. One way to tell a convert it shouldn't have an oval speedometer if it's Deluxe

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Neat photo of the substantial touring car in Brazil ! OK everyone what is it. Look beyond the car and at the great architecture behind the fellow sitting on the fender. I love old cars but also period architecture when everything was not clad in aluminum and plastic.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Neat photo of the substantial touring car in Brazil ! OK everyone what is it. Look beyond the car and at the great architecture behind the fellow sitting on the fender. I love old cars but also period architecture when everything was not clad in aluminum and plastic.

I believe it is a 1921 Jordan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

img01112024_036.jpg.c5a94119b555de9d655dead85bed4fd4.jpgI have had this photo for about 20 years. I had given it to the photography instructor (in pristine condition) at the school where I taught Architecture so he could do a negative and duplicate it. He never got around to it and threw it in his desk drawer. When I retired in 2015 he re turned it in the same envelope I gave it to him but now in 5 pieces. Before all was lost I carefully glued the broken edges together. It is a post card mailed from Chadwick to Newton Square Penna. April 11. 1912.

Edited by dibarlaw
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1