Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

The plot thickens! Apparently that 1920 Packard by Fleetwood seen poised at the Havana dealership survives, and was just sold at B-J for $110K.

From longterm ownership in the Blackhawk Collection, then sold in 2022.

20sPackardUlloaNYSalon1C.jpg.208037009eb653347c4336fe3e64f78f.jpg

20sPackardUlloaNYSalon1124Barrett-Jackson.jpg.47f9c939f1028e9efe8283d671a63f90.jpg

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1920-PACKARD-TWIN-6-TRANSFORMABLE-TOWN-CAR-272827

The present owner took a hit, considering the Fleetwood sold for $145,600 at RM Monterey in 2022...

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/mo22/monterey/lots/p0046-1920-packard-3-35-twin-six-transformable-town-car-by-fleetwood/1253033

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Great to see the "period" b & w photos compared with the actual car today.  Current photos with no comparison of the same car "in the era" are perhaps best posted in another thread/topic so we can stay focused? thank you.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cxgvd said:

Hello Old Car Fudd;  Gil, those are great photos and show real life touring.  Happy faces, towing your mate when necessary, sunny days, historic landscapes, I vote Steve pick one or more of your entries.  Here are a few more.

Hi, Gary.  Thanks for the sentiments.  But they belong in the thread that Steve opened in the General Discussion section.  I like your pix, too!

Gil

1921 Duesenberg Model A by the Charles Schutte Body Company, built for Charles E. Schutte.  

223SchutteCustom1.jpg.aca1f70600eb29734e7426cbc06df732.jpg

From the March 1922 issue of CARTELES -

"During the "dance of the millions" there were a lot of Creoles who paid considerable sums for cars with ordinary bodies. None of them had the good taste of having a car with a special body, even though almost all Cuban motorists know that there are several American and European companies that specialize in this type of work. CARTELES, thanks to the courtesy of Schutte, has the opportunity to offer its readers in this edition, a beautiful wedge with a special body that was made for a Yankee millionaire. CARTELES gladly offers to submit models on a whim for any motorist who wants to have something that doesn't "look like anything else", available through this well-known coachbuilding house."

21DuesenbergModelAFbACDRussianGuy1CX.jpg.2d485e3745e1d6be482f340a955983c3.jpg

The '21 Duesenberg Model A built for Charles E. Schutte.

TG

• Like 6

15 hours ago, alsancle said:

Prop or real?

image.jpeg.8413c838fec0831a53b8cc60a055ab17.jpeg

My vote is for "prop". My reason is because of his shirt and tie seem to be a bit more modern than the car. Also, the cut of his suit lapels looks to modern. (I took the photo and lightened it to see the lapels)

• Like 1

Guess I need to jump back in here since I have been absent with a contribution for a while. To much going on writing a flock of stories and trying to answer people or add to friends contributions here. This is a Mercedes 6 litre Imperial limousine as it states at the bottom edge of the image. Hibbard & Darrin body designed and built in Paris by two Americans - or as the British call them "Yanks". that front wind shield was a bronze casting!! with the glass in brass frames. I will guess and say it is approximately from 1928-30 era. note the oval rear window.

thanks to all for your ongoing enthusiasm. the number of views tells me that there is a great interest in vehicles of the pre WWII era.

Mercedes6litretowncar H & D 1930.jpg

• Like 8

On 1/28/2024 at 9:05 AM, cxgvd said:

Hello Old Car Fudd;  Gil, those are great photos and show real life touring.  Happy faces, towing your mate when necessary, sunny days, historic landscapes, I vote Steve pick one or more of your entries.  Here are a few more.

Regards, Gary

DSC_5087 (1).JPG

Could someone tell me what the gray car is here being towed?

On 1/28/2024 at 2:08 PM, TG57Roadmaster said:

1921 Duesenberg Model A by the Charles Schutte Body Company, built for Charles E. Schutte.  

223SchutteCustom1.jpg.aca1f70600eb29734e7426cbc06df732.jpg

From the March 1922 issue of CARTELES -

"During the "dance of the millions" there were a lot of Creoles who paid considerable sums for cars with ordinary bodies. None of them had the good taste of having a car with a special body, even though almost all Cuban motorists know that there are several American and European companies that specialize in this type of work. CARTELES, thanks to the courtesy of Schutte, has the opportunity to offer its readers in this edition, a beautiful wedge with a special body that was made for a Yankee millionaire. CARTELES gladly offers to submit models on a whim for any motorist who wants to have something that doesn't "look like anything else", available through this well-known coachbuilding house."

21DuesenbergModelAFbACDRussianGuy1CX.jpg.2d485e3745e1d6be482f340a955983c3.jpg

The '21 Duesenberg Model A built for Charles E. Schutte.

TG

I talked with Rand Ema about this and he feels that it is Rochester powered if it is Duesenberg.   No room under that hood for a Model A engine.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Could someone tell me what the gray car is here being towed?

Alsancle, Gary's post seems to have vanished.  He was referring to a picture I posted in the General Discussions, responding to a request from Steve Moskowitz for pictures of carts on tour.  In that picture, the "gray" car isn't being towed; it's towing.  It's an original, 1906-7 2-cylinder Buick belonging, at the time, to Mark Conforth.  The maroon and cream car being towed is a single-cylinder REO on its maiden voyage since restoration by Jerry Chase.  Hope this helps.

Gil Fitzhugh

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

I talked with Rand Ema about this and he feels that it is Rochester powered if it is Duesenberg.   No room under that hood for a Model A engine.

Cool. Just following what I found over at Coachbuild . com.

224SchutteCustom1.jpg.c9c3ca91e19d20051deab925bae20d19.jpg

The Schutte-bodied Roadster below appeared n the July-August 1920 issue of CARTELES, noting its "Liberty Motor". I'm wondering if the reference is to the Duesenberg motors built in Elizabeth, NJ, and somehow is reported incorrectly in the Cuban magazine - I have no idea what this car is. 

207-8LibertyMotor1.jpg.d623e914604b0e39701112094383b182.jpg

Duesenberg "Power  of the Hour" insert in the Jaunary 16, 1919 Automotive Industrries magazine...

PowerHour1AXA.jpg.67ef7ba9645c5e338026c8da32441215.jpg

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/28/2024 at 10:05 AM, A Woolf said:

1913American-0.jpg.93401408936bb8fe2ed830e144ac4e68.jpg1913American-3.jpg.24b2e40e388d48955ba8771ca5d31f76.jpg1913American-5.jpg.926a165822627ed1dd5ffafbbc9003e4.jpg

That hurts to see even though we know it had to happen to countless other high quality brass cars over the decades. Think of the treasure trove if only 5% of the $2,000.00 and up class. pre 1920  cars survived.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Several times Walt has pointed out that in many period photos of cars are other things of interest such as architecture, signs, etc.  Period photos of cars and their garages provide a neat glimpse into the era before pre-fabricated cookie cutter garages we are so used to seeing today. 

old home week.jpg

1937 garage.jpg

• Like 3

The art of design in architecture - masonry, shingles, huge support arches out of timber , no alloy siding or plastic vynil, nor window frames or doors  of the same "modern" material. as the song title says "Those were the days" . Sure much of the buildings weren't efficient like they are today , but neither were the cars. If alterations were made to buildings/structures they tried to be designed in harmony with the rest of the existing structure, not just fill or fit a purpose. Yes, I am a preservationist regarding structures as well - not opposed to changes but again to keep the integrity and harmony of design. That is why over 25 years ago I wrote a law to keep that integrity for buildings and homes here in the village where my family has resided for 100 years.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Not as interesting architecturally as some

But look at the pattern of the brick in the pillars where the cars are parked!  look at the top of the chimney. Small details but this was a commercial building , not a house etc.

Still detail was there to please the eye even for a few heart beats. Integrity of design and build that indeed took extra time to accomplish. Today it is quicker and cheaper.................

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Walt G said:

But look at the pattern of the brick in the pillars where the cars are parked! 

That appears to be the common British (Flemish bond) brickwork pattern; the bricks are alternately placed side/end/side/end on each row.

The American brick pattern is every sixth row being perpendicular to the lower five with the narrow ends visible.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 2