Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Regarding the Ann Pennington photo - note the car she is resting her uh - rumble seat on - 😉 plus the two other cars in the back ground are all touring cars with a rear "cape top". Makes one wonder if there were a display of these as a body style at the event?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, twin6 said:

Farman.jpg

I have seen pictures of other cars in this same location. Where is it? Does it still exist?

On 7/15/2022 at 10:29 PM, Varun Coutinho said:

1910 Matheson 50Hp Model E 7-Passenger Touring

Photo Attached - Detroit Public Library : 1908 - 1909 Matheson 50Hp (Big Four) 7-Passenger Touring

view (1).jpg

Notice the car with the top up has a generator and gas tank for the headlights.

Two photos of the Farman with license plate number 2243 exist.  One photo has the "Farman" word printed on it and the second appears to be cropped and without the Farman word.  A third photo of a similar Farman displays plate number 475?.  The photo appears to have been taken at a gathering or vehicle display (seen in the background at right).  Across the grass field is a banner for De Deion Bouton, and another displaying La Franch??? Diamant.

Farman 007 01-02.jpg

Farman 007 02-02.jpg

Farman 001.png

• Like 4

7 hours ago, JRA said:

I have seen pictures of other cars in this same location. Where is it? Does it still exist?

This is 31 Boulevard du Commandant Charcot, Neuilly-sur-Seine (at the time it was the Chateau de Madrid). The woman in the photo is probably the Romanian born French actress Alice Cocea on her way to the Concours d'Elegance Feminine in the Bois de Boulogne (1927 or 1928).

The building still exists.

Neuilly___le_château_de_[...]Agence_de_btv1b9032500g_1.jpeg

Château_de_Madrid_à_Neuilly_[...]Agence_de_btv1b9053484p_1.jpeg

Château_de_Madrid_à_Neuilly_[...]Agence_de_btv1b9053466r_1.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Two photos of the Farman with license plate number 2243 exist.  One photo has the "Farman" word printed on it and the second appears to be cropped and without the Farman word.  A third photo of a similar Farman displays plate number 475?.  The photo appears to have been taken at a gathering or vehicle display (seen in the background at right).  Across the grass field is a banner for De Deion Bouton, and another displaying La Franch??? Diamant.

Farman 007 01-02.jpg

Farman 007 02-02.jpg

Farman 001.png

The last photo is Alice Cocéa at the Concours d'Elegance held June 5th 1925 at Parc des Princes, Paris.

La Francaise Diamant made bicycles and motorcycles.

5_6_25_Parc_des_Princes_concours_[...]Agence_Rol_btv1b53147786s_1.jpeg

5_6_25_Parc_des_Princes_concours_[...]Agence_Rol_btv1b531477966_1.jpeg

c756ff82-c6ae-4beb-b925-9d9f7137e519-1920-0.jpg

c3086b80-a0d5-4603-921b-89899f23e67e.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/18/2022 at 12:49 AM, LCK81403 said:

An interesting engineering solution to achieve a soft ride?  Presumably those are coil springs in the wheels.  ?

f1dd46d7c3dfadb0ff6852716d6b061c.jpg

I bet traction was less than great and lets see them in mud. 

• Like 1

I don't recall ever seeing this one....

Not far from what they are still using :) 

I can't even imagine what a postal worker would feel like at the end of the day in one of these.

I'm counting four different rims. Crazy...
NO idea what the front ones are from.

c922cb47237b6d3f5a9697654648f45f.jpg

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Any history known about this photo? IE city, make, year..

Must be a wealthy municipality.  

Some rather expensive touches on that sweeper, including beveled glass windshield and door windows, and shiny brass radiator, not cast iron as would be associated with most heavy commercial trucks back then.

Craig

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Andrew46Coupe said:

This is 31 Boulevard du Commandant Charcot, Neuilly-sur-Seine (at the time it was the Chateau de Madrid)

SO GREAT to read that this structure is still existing! wow. ( I love older architecture as much as I do cars, have been to the top/crown area of the Chrysler Building in NY City - NO I don't like height but to be in the room that was the "Cloud Club" at one time I found ( sort of ) the courage )

The mascot on the Farman in the photos is magnificent, I look at one in my collection every day  , I have some Farman sales literature and period photos too of that era, a car not well known or appreciated in the USA.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

SO GREAT to read that this structure is still existing! wow. ( I love older architecture as much as I do cars, have been to the top/crown area of the Chrysler Building in NY City - NO I don't like height but to be in the room that was the "Cloud Club" at one time I found ( sort of ) the courage )

The mascot on the Farman in the photos is magnificent, I look at one in my collection every day  , I have some Farman sales literature and period photos too of that era, a car not well known or appreciated in the USA.

Farman are scarce……I have seen two in person, and had a ride in one. Felt like a three Liter Bentley…..I think they made multiple sizes and chassis……..the one I rode in was a 1924 or there abouts……..not as big as the car in the photo….but very well done.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Yes, Farman had several size cars. Totally cool in every respect in my opinion. I will take a photo of the mascot and brochures together and post here.

They were fairly well covered in the European press/periodicals when new , like Minerva were unusual even then but high quality.  I really enjoy obscure cars especially of the larger chassis and engine capacity .  Big horsepower Renaults - Reinastella are also so odd to see or even read about - even in Europe.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

I'll guess the Farman town car coachbuilder was Saoutchik.

Here are better looks at the fancy street sweeper and Mr. & Mrs. Bloomfield with their sazzy new runabout.

The Farman is described in the Parc des Princes photos as having a factory body (carrosserie Farman).

https://www.farman.fr/qui-sommes-nous/un-siecle-dhistoire-industrielle?lang=en

Saint-Cloud_-_Statue_Santos_Dumont_001.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1