Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

The headlights are unique.  The photos available to me show the 1918 model and the 1920 model with ordinary drum headlights, but the headlights in this photo seem to be unique to the year 1919.  Is that true?

19 Locomobile service truck.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

The headlights are unique.  The photos available to me show the 1918 model and the 1920 model with ordinary drum headlights, but the headlights in this photo seem to be unique to the year 1919.  Is that true?

19 Locomobile service truck.jpg

Those head/side lights were a factory light. The result of DeCausse styling changes to what is known in body terms as streamlining. That is the removal of a flat firewall and transitioning from hood to body width smoothly. Thus leaving a styling problem for sidelights. As there were custom coach builders some designers continued to supply drum headlights sans sidelights. Here are some photos showing the factory headlight and wiring starting in 1915/ 16.4F2732F1-6936-4231-AADA-68694BCDCE58.jpeg.bd2b6fb3160cff3d605a156136db367a.jpegEA103D1B-5B78-4888-B4B5-1EEFFA6FBF19.jpeg.071e4d09a79b33d7681b7ab2201d5f4f.jpeg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Terry Harper said:

I believe it’s an American made Saurer truck from about 1911 or 1912 made in Plainfield, NJ. The parent company was Swiss. 

EDIT:

So this deserves a little bit more information. Saurer Motor Truck Company was founded in 1911 to manufacture trucks under the Saurer name. Saurer being Swiss that produced both trucks and cars. Interestingly Saurer Motor Truck Company merged with the Mack Brothers. American made Saurer trucks were produced until 1918 of course the company formed by the merger (International Truck Company) eventually became Mack trucks.

As a note a Saurer was the first truck to complete a transcontinental trip in 1911. There is at least one book detailing this adventure:

"A Grand Adventure: America's First Transcontinental Truck Run" Ron Colbert.

truck61.jpg

A few years ago, I learned some of the history of the Saurer company and the family. Here’s a link to something I wrote about Curt Saurer. 

http://studegarage.com/images/other/It was only a motor mount- Gary Ash.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Gary_Ash said:

A few years ago, I learned some of the history of the Saurer company and the family. Here’s a link to something I wrote about Curt Saurer. 

Very nice Gary!

Thank you for sharing. Its always interesting to see the impact people have had in development of the automotive industry.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

Very interesting read on Carl Saurer.

Of interest, British government-owned entities had fleets of Morris panel trucks with molded rubber front fenders.  https://www.britishtelephones.com/vehicles/minorvans/003.htm

Craig

• Like 1

It was 2 years ago today that I started this thread on Period Images to help relieve some of the stress. We all were going through stress due to  the pandemic. lack of activity, lack of seeing fiends, no car club meetings etc. Look to see what I stated on page one of this thread with the first photos I posted, that still applies - and we all seem to have embraced period historic photographs and images to make us feel good. I never ever thought this thread would still be going this long with so many contributions, comments etc.   I relied on a few friends to join in because they had an interest in period photographs beyond the cars - the street signs, lettering on vehicles and buildings, architecture etc.  Thanks so much to them - I will not name names as I will leave someone out.

I certainly have made a lot of new friends because of the contact generated by this thread. Holy Cow. Also answered a lot of questions via messages! Yikes.

I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for all you have done, with this crazy idea , many who have continued on a regular basis to take the time and effort to educate us all with amazing views into what it was like 70+ years ago.  I hope to be able to meet all of you in person and say hello in friendship in the near future. Thanks so much to AACA for giving us this opportunity to explore the vehicles we love .

Sincerely in friendship,

Walt Gosden

PS I better tell you what these photos are too: The photo of the sedan is Clessie Cummings "mid west inventor" in a Diesel-engined Packard sedan photo was taken in January 1930  Caption on the press release photo says the car traveled 792 miles on 30 gallons of fuel. "which cost $1.30-four and a third cents a gallon".

the second photo is of a limousine with coach work by G. Wylder & Co. of Kew Gardens Station, Surrey, England. It comes from a 14 page catalog  issued by that company in the Fall of 1931 for the exhibit they had for the first time at the auto show held at the Olympia exhibition hall in London.

UPdate (2:15 pm) :  Although the Packard sedan photo with the Cummings diesel engine is dated 1930 when printed as a PR release , the car is most likely a 1925 model 2-43 series car , so was 5 years old when the transplant of the engine was made. My thanks to my long time friend Jim Pearsall of NJ for the additional information.

PACKARDcummings1930.jpg

WYLDERcoschworksedan1931.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Locomobile 1904 at an auto show but do not know where. Note in the back ground the signs for Orient Buckboard, Franklin and Baker electric.

the bright spot in the lower right corner is in the print I have and must have been something in the original negative which I am assuming was a glass plate.

Lots of accessories on the Locomobile - wicker baskets, windshield, roof, and check out those self generating headlamps! 

I have a self generating headlamp of similar era in my collection - you have no idea how heavy it is! or how large they can be. 

Locomobile1904autoshow.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 2

This photo is hanging in the staircase at the Culver Hotel in Culver City (L.A.), CA.  I think the letters on the hood are PFD, so I can’t see a relationship to Culver City.  Interesting old fire engine, though.

DC2F1F66-6950-4742-B4E5-F1F288D96FF7.jpeg.950da491dcddf7e01127e4f7ae11d2b2.jpeg

• Like 2

1941 Buick series 90 Limited limousine, electrically operated division window. Car photo taken circa 1960. Owned at the time by Donald Goss of Malverne, long island , NY.

He owned the car very briefly . Jim Pearsall of NJ my buddy, supplied the photo and said the damage to the rear fender seen in the photo happened because the rear wheel came off while driving on East Rockaway Road, the wheel then rolled into someones front yard.  Don Goss sold the car soon after that . No idea as to where the car is now, nor who Don Goss bought it from but it was a long island car. Photo taken at 10 Maiden Lane . thanks to Jim making me a copy of this decades ago and letting me post it here now.

Buick1941LIMITEDpearsall.jpg

• Like 4

Gary, you are correct about the "PFD" or "FPD" on the hood of the fire truck.  It is not easy to see it.  On the left rear corner of the truck's body there is a panel with the intertwined letters FPD.  The display of the letters kind of gets into the discipline of heraldry.  The close-up photo of the panel shows a bold letter "P" in the center surmounting the smaller and subordinate letters "F" and "D".  The letters "F" and "D" stand for "Fire" and "Department".  The stylized letter "P" has to stand for the name of the town or city, and of course unknown city "P" is definitely not Culver City, California.

Some years ago I studied heraldry in order to decipher heraldic coats of arms on antique Czarist Russian and also German chinaware.  It is interesting that the side of the truck's body says "Bureau of Fire" rather than "Fire Department", and that the ornate cartouche panel shows letters F P D.  One who think, to be consistent terminology, that the cartouche panel should have been F P B -- Fire P Bureau.

Unknown city "P", most probably a bit of it is in the background of the photo, may be somewhere "back East" from California, possibly Philadelphia?

DC2F1F66-6950-4742-B4E5-F1F288D96FF7.jpeg.950da491dcddf7e01127e4f7ae11d2b2.jpg

DC2F1F66-6950-4742-B4E5-F1F288D96FF7.jpeg.950da491dcddf7e01127e4f7ae11d2b2 - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 5:36 PM, nzcarnerd said:

Flint, Michigan, 1910 according to the caption provided. An interesting low-sided, compact looking, short body (4 pass?) touring there.

I can't see any sign of rear springs. Maybe it has a transverse setup - as Paige did at the time.

sag Norma G-K Flint Mi 1910.jpg

Off topic:

Strange how the billboard is upside down. I've tried to come up with a reason why it is like that but can't think of anything...

image.png.eaa005a73a1b2f2026860f834ca45113.png

18 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

"Cadillac V16 - 1936 or 1937?  Probably one of not very many built in that style as there were only just over 100 sold in the two years. 

Someone may be able to identify the specific body style."

Here is the best I can get the image.   Of the myriad body styles listed, I think this one might have been the seven-passenger limousine brougham.

'34-'37 Cadillac V16 limousine brougham -period image.jpg

On 3/13/2022 at 9:57 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

Off topic:

Strange how the billboard is upside down. I've tried to come up with a reason why it is like that but can't think of anything...

image.png.eaa005a73a1b2f2026860f834ca45113.png

That usually means that an older sign board is being used as a backer board for a new sign. Notice there are actually two segments of older signage there. Could also just be a placeholder in the frame from signs that haven't paid their rent and a new advertiser hadn't been found.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, twin6 said:

No idea what make this is, but looks like a quality chain drive rear entrance tonneau that must have been quite a car.

4.jpg

I think this one is going to keep the experts thinking for a while. I hope Ariejan has had a look at it.😀

Great photo great car. I love to observe what is in the photos - the car has one horn, not a pair, cloth tire covers, color of car is one - not two tone, same all over color, no stone guard, and notice most of the men observing the parade have hats they are wearing. few beards. Signs of the times. Wonder what the town was in Illinois and if many of the buildings still look the same except of course for updated more efficient windows . Are those trolley tracks in the road , or street car tracks? ( ok what is a trolley and wheat is a street cars some of you may question) Also the road is paved in bricks! 

Like many others, I enjoy revisiting this lengthy thread every month or so, and learning a lot of interesting history, details and provenance of old cars. While the COVID CACOON may end soon, this thread I suspect will stay for a while thereafter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1