Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

A photo from Dannevirke in New Zealand - a town founded by Scandinavian immigrants in the early 1870s. Current population is 5,700.

I think the car is an Oakland. 

Photo from the Dannevirke Museum.

Dannevirke museum 1221.jpg

The building is still there - though no longer in the motor trade.

Web capture_5-12-2021_235843_www.google.com.jpeg

• Like 4

I came across the facebook page of RAF Netheravon, apparently the oldest UK military airfield still in military hands - dating from 1911.

There are several photos of Crossley staff cars and tenders which were built in significant numbers for military use. More info about the model here - The Crossley 20hp and 20/25 car (crossley-motors.org.uk)

fb RAF Netheravon Crossley 2.jpg

fb RAF Netheravon Crossley.jpg

fb RFC Airmen Crossley 2.jpg

fb RFC Airmen Crossley in France.png

fb RFC Airmen Crossley.jpg

fb RFC Crossley at Fletre northern France.jpg

• Like 2

Coincidentally I have had this one on file for quite a while. Also from 1919 but the location is Hastings, New Zealand. The NZ house is much smaller but the architecture is similar, though it has Marseilles tiles on the roof whereas the house in Australia has corrugated iron, a roofing material also commonly seen in NZ.

1919 - Boy in a Buick car, outside a house in Hastings, [ca 1919].jpg

• Like 3

Four early motor cars outside the Knowles Automobile & Motor Power Company Ltd premises, Melbourne 1903.

It is possible the cars are: Peugeot 1899; Royal Star 1903; Darracq; De Dion Bouton engine. The showrooms were located at 102-104 Spencer Street, Melbourne.

SLVIC

May be an image of 1 person and outdoors

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 6:47 PM, jukejunkie1015 said:

Silent film star Harold Lloyd and his 1935 Packard Series 12 Limousine.

17353086_1271363572954628_1465564991295045682_n.jpg

In 1936 he bought a Pierce Arrow. Somehow as a young man, Steve Martin became friends with him.....I think he said he was his paperboy. Martin recalled the Pierce remained with him for many years and wasn’t sold till the late 1960’s.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 3:47 PM, jukejunkie1015 said:

Silent film star Harold Lloyd and his 1935 Packard Series 12 Limousine.

17353086_1271363572954628_1465564991295045682_n.jpg

Here's the same car at a  Packard Meet in California a few years ago.   Note the poster board with a blowup of this black & white photo!

IMG_1167 (800x598).jpg

Edited by HK500 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Interesting mix of less common cars in this 1934 photo - maybe Willys, a 1933 Plymouth with the less-common wood wheels, and maybe a late 1920s Nash coupe.

Photo info - "Manhattan: 427-431 West 126th Street (June 26th 1934) -Percy Loomis Sperr, photographer"

May be a black-and-white image of street

Time machine version - 

May be an image of 1 person and street

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

LCK -

Yup you are correct. I would say from the wheelbase and tire size that it’s a 1926 or 1927 Kissel Model 6-55 Gold Bug Speedster. It’s a model 6-55 because it doesn’t have a hood vent nor suicide seats and it has model 6-55 step plates. It’s wheelbase appears standard, not he longer one used for model 8-75 cars. The wider tire size canotes a 1926 or higher year. The drum head lights were around at least until 1926.

As to color, Kissel Gold Bug Speedsters were made normally in factory spec colors of yellow, blue, red, or greenish, but you could order ANY color scheme for a $20 factory option up charge.

Good catch! Ron

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I did a Google image check and found many with doors, I was used to seeing the door less MERCER Raceabout style early ones. Bob 

Early Kissel Gold Bugs 1919-1920 ish were door-less. You crawled in. These were all Model 6-45 chassis.
Then in 1921 they added front opening suicide doors on the Gold Bug Speedsters til mid 1923. Hidden hinges. These 1921-mid 1923 cars were all Model 6-45 chassis. The Model 6-45 engine and frame are a bit longer and bigger than the later Model 6-55’s. Model 6-45’s had suicide seats both sides.

In 1923 they started producing Model 6-55 chassis with rear opening doors on Speedsters, as pictured.

Those continued until 1927 or 1928. Model 6-55’s had golf club holders and no suicide seats.

They made 50-100 Gold Bug Speedsters each year 1919-1928. 37 or so of these of all years survive today.

Below are two pictures of my kissel Model 6-45 Gold Bug Speedster. Note the differences in the doors, vents, length, side seats, step plates, top, and tire size from the later 1926-1927 Kissel Model 6-55 in the picture above. Subtle differences unless you know.

Ron Hausmann PE.

(sorry for the tech speak)

25C7C172-5D01-419F-ACA5-2590074706E4.jpeg

3F0FBAAD-2445-411E-99AD-C50E1B27B390.jpeg

Edited by ron hausmann (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Ron, no apologies necessary for the tech speak, ever, for me at least - it is a great education for me and one that is 'spot on' accuracy ( unlike some things you can possibly read by some self proclaimed  " experts") It's all good.

Walt Gosden

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Ron, no apologies necessary for the tech speak, ever, for me at least - it is a great education for me and one that is 'spot on' accuracy ( unlike some things you can possibly read by some self proclaimed  " experts") It's all good.

Walt Gosden

I'll second that! All Gold Bugs are good, some have features that appeal to one guy but may not appeal to another. Is that hinged top iron on the original photo on all Gold Bugs, makes for a nice folded top IMO. Bob 

Sheepshead bay Raceway infield parking, either Astor Cup race 1918 or 1919 per writing on the back.  What is that speedster lookin' thing aimed at the white painted tree trunk on the left?  It's obscured by other cars but looks like something interesting.  My initial gut reaction - Mercer raceabout looks wrong based on only 3 hood louvers vs 6 louvers on the Mercer pics I see on the internet.

1918or1919SheepsheadBay.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HK500 said:

Sheepshead bay Raceway infield parking, either Astor Cup race 1918 or 1919 per writing on the back.  What is that speedster lookin' thing aimed at the white painted tree trunk on the left?  It's obscured by other cars but looks like something interesting.  My initial gut reaction - Mercer raceabout looks wrong based on only 3 hood louvers vs 6 louvers on the Mercer pics I see on the internet.

The experts will chime in, but I believe the earliest of the L Heads had 3 louver bonnets so my $.02 is that your instincts were correct.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Found this Alfa  while looking for something else, I like it. 

Bob 

62_90.jpg

In my humble opinion, a very over rated platform. I was not impressed. Another legend that when driven, makes you yearn for something else.