Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Everyone, it was my pleasure to do this, so very pleased that it was well received and still is accomplishing its original intent - to relieve some of the stress.

John, thanks for pushing the pages to 300 with an absolutely great photo of that Pierce Arrow sedan. As I mentioned some time ago - just look in that photo ( and the majority  of the photos) of all the other "era" features and history we can view - her coat and hat, the magnificent homes in the back ground that don't have a bit of plastic or aluminum construction showing. Time warp photographs. ( I know I mention architecture a lot - cars are rolling architecture to me, my grandfather and father were builders, and more then two decades ago I made a loud noise here in the village that my family has resided in since 1924 that there had to be an Architectural review board because to many homes were being modified (or torn down ) to accommodate the needs of the current owner in the cheapest way possible. I got a call from the then Mayor and was told " you got your wish you will see our village have a review board , now gather your crew to write the laws for that for people to follow who have to appear before it" I did and the laws still are  in affect. 

The history in the photos we see here is priceless, Images of the era.

Walt

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A year already! Congratulations to Walt G, and all involved. Thanks to John M for so many wonderful postings, and hitting the BIG 3-0-0-.

And for an unusual contribution, a 'pre-pre-war-war electric;

(I would give due credit, but I do not remember where I found it?)

earlyfancyelectric.jpg

• Like 4

Ok so here we go for page Tree-hun-red one. 😉 The street scene is from approximately 1930. I have no idea of location but the radio transmission towers in the back start with a K , which isn't much help. No license plate visible clearly to give us a clue. The 2 door sedan in the foreground is pretty worn out so I am guessing was owned and used by one of the construction workers for the building being built.

The two door victoria is a Panhard from 1927 coachwork by Gaston Grummer and was built for Nadine Picard. Location is at one of the numerous social gatherings of car owners, somewhat like an outside salon/concours. Everyone attending was usually very well dressed. They were most popular in France.

Third photo is of a 1938 Lincoln 7 passenger sedan taken in 1942 in Illinois.

STREETscene1930001.jpg

Peugeot1927GastonGrummer001.jpg

Lincoln1938Ksevenpass001.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Walt, this is a great test for imagery analysts.  What can we wring out of that photo.  Regarding the "K" of the radio station.  As the U.S. lower 48 states were divided for purpose of radio station identification, K-call signs were west of a north-south dividing line from Canada to the border with Mexico.  Generally speaking the K-stations were west of that line, west of the borders between Montana-North Dakota & South Dakota, Wyoming-South Dakota & Nebraska, Colorado-Kansas, New Mexico and Oklahoma & Texas.  In January, 1923 the dividing boundary between K (west) and W (east) radio call signs shifted east to generally the Mississippi River.  An example of this today is Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota, the Twin Cities divided by the Mississippi River.  In Minneapolis is the station KSTP radio with channel 5 TV, and in St. Paul is WCCO radio with channel 4 TV.  Based on the apparent ages of the cars in the photo, and your spotting of the "K" for the radio station, the location of the building under construction is somewhere west of the Mississippi River.  There are two large metal radio antenna towers on the building's roof, and that may be significant, and also the building itself is large and significant looking.  Consulting the attached map, perhaps the building is in either New Orleans (doubtful), Memphis (maybe), St. Louis (most probable), or Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota.  These large cities are right on the border line between the K and W radio call zones.  My best guess is St. Louis, Missouri, with one of the transmitter towers being used by a K-call commercial station broadcasting for listeners to the west, and a second W-call station broadcasting to the east.  While the radio signals go where they will, the content of the radio broadcasts is geared to the listeners.  At night when the F-layers in the atmosphere change their reflectivity of the radio signals, night-time broadcasts and listening audience can be very much different than day-time.  I well remember listening at night to cool blues and zydeco music on my AM radio in Minnesota, broadcast from a radio station in Shreveport, Louisiana.  The Shreveport radio station "skipped" it's signal at night that long distance that could not happen during the day's F-layers which are modified by the sun's radiation.  Blues and zydeco was a refreshing welcome from the same old polka and waltz music that we lived with up there in the corn and soy bean country.

The extra cool street lamp in the photo reminds me of Kansas City, Kansas when we passed through there on a troop train.

STREETscene1930001.thumb.jpg.c9d0ddc480cc1b90592a203bb03cad7a 001.jpg

DSC01047.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks for the great comment and analysis!  I knew that there was a "K" lettered radio station in California because the local Packard dealer had a big hand in that, and that was about the extent of my knowledge for radio stations.  No trees seen in the photo so can't get a clue from that ( palm trees denoting the climate) I have a very good long time friend who likes in St. Louis so will send him a copy of the photo to see if he can recognize the building. As you note about the great street lamp, a major city would have these not a small town or municipality.

It made me sooo happy to generate this kind of comment - I love making people think when posing a period photograph. It drives some of the local residents where I live a bit crazy when I do it for the village I reside in and am the local historian for.

I love these factory portraits taken inside the building probably just minutes after the final touches have been completed.  Workers were task with hanging whatever fabric sheets they could get as a plain backdrop, in this case rather dirty and stained.   What we don't see but can sense is behind the camera is a group of very tired craftsmen who put in a yeoman's effort to complete this magnificent show car in time, plus a few managers who were pretty satisfied with the car they were about to spring on the public.

'33 Pierce-Arrow Silver Arrow factory photo.jpg

• Like 4

The 2 door car in the foreground, appears to be a 1927 ESSEX.

Rear brakes, no front brakes, cowl light on A post, shape of Head light bucket, single belt line on body only-not on cowl or hood,  louvers on hood side.

and  Gas cap location.

Just my thoughts..................!

9 hours ago, Tph479 said:

Silver arrow and sporting black walls.

10BCDF82-8E30-4629-AD3F-24402EFD5257.jpeg

Silver Arrow.....in the original two tone brown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, BobinVirginia said:

1921 Haynes Model 55 Type T 

251E282B-801C-4924-BA91-1679A22A7150.jpeg

Seems to me your catching on fast with this crew..........👍👍👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If one has access to color sample books issued by the paint suppliers of the era or large collections of paint chips ( not broken up and sold off over the years to assorted people who only wanted the pile for their brand of car) it is a great commentary on what colors were popular for what cars across the board as well as for individual makes or car companies that offered several makes of car for sale. My art teaching back ground and historian /author place in life find so many things commenting "on the era" to give an overall view of exactly what life was like when these vehicles of the pre war era were new.

I know there are those of you that just read that and are shaking your heads saying " this guy has to many visions, thinks way outside of the box". 🙄 Can't help it, has always been that way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Walt G said:

If one has access to color sample books issued by the paint suppliers of the era or large collections of paint chips ( not broken up and sold off over the years to assorted people who only wanted the pile for their brand of car) it is a great commentary on what colors were popular for what cars across the board as well as for individual makes or car companies that offered several makes of car for sale. My art teaching back ground and historian /author place in life find so many things commenting "on the era" to give an overall view of exactly what life was like when these vehicles of the pre war era were new.

I know there are those of you that just read that and are shaking your heads saying " this guy has to many visions, thinks way outside of the box". 🙄 Can't help it, has always been that way.

One thing that always intrigued me was why brighter reds were hardly ever offered until the early 1950's; only maroons and maybe a 'darker' red like a carmine red, not counting fire trucks.

I know red pigments were fragile for stability out in the elements, and the most fade-prone, but so were the first metallic (opalescent) finishes, regardless of the color for fading.

Craig