Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

8 hours ago, ericmac said:

J-111, a Lebaron Phaeton was a demonstrator car used by the Los Angeles dealership. Eventually Irving Gilmore bought the car and it has become the crown jewel of the Gilmore Car Museum's permanent collection.  In 1984 an exhaustive restoration was started and at the time a fateful decision was made,  not to restore the car using authentic colors, a color scheme that nearly matched the Cooper car. I think Gilmore made the correct decision. 

20160306_130831.jpg

FYI , while I believe that Irving S Gilmore did have a car collection, it was Donald Gilmore,a brother , that started the Gilmore Car Museum.  

Edited by Cadillac Fan (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6E4B7583-5079-4E71-B56D-55EA732AD670.jpeg                                                                                                        This one reminds me of the summer of 1970 in Birds Hill Park in Winnipeg.  We had a picnic and when we returned to the car I had a flat.  Here I am changing the tire being overseen by three nieces while my brother-in-law inspected the radiator cap.

Birds Hill Park flat tire.jpg

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I have viewed every photo in this thread though I have not had anything to contribute, until now.  My friend restored a 1923 Gray Dort and he had an original photograph of the same make and model taken near the Gray Dort factory in Chatham, On.  This afternoon we drove the car about 40 miles for the first trip to the location where the original photo was taken nearly a hundred years ago.

Regards, Gary

DSC_4028 (2).JPG

DSC_4037 (2).JPG

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Gary, that is just so really neat that you were able to create the same photo in the same place with the same car. So happy the car survived AND the building as well. WOW

Thank you for sharing this with us!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cadillac Fan said:

FYI , while I believe that Irving S Gilmore did have a car collection, it was Donald Gilmore,a brother , that started the Gilmore Car Museum.  

Yes, yes it was Donald Gilmore not Irving who founded the Gilmore Car Museum. Duh! Sleeplessness will do that to a guy. I should know as I used to be an advisory board member at GCM. I too was there at GCM for the first CCCA Experience featuring Duesenberg in 1987. That was a fabulous show.

• Like 1

My father, Frederick Spong age 23, riding his 1938 Coventry Eagle motor cycle on patrol while serving with the Home Guard in the summer of 1940 when an invasion by Nazi Germany was expected to take place at any time. Fortunately this never happened but it was a very real threat. 

Family Photos60217.jpg

• Like 3